• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming?

rrobs

As we already agreed upon, your scriptures don't contain anything about climate change, so they are worthless in tackling the problem.
I don't remember agreeing to that. If I did, it was because of a misunderstanding.

The OP ought to make it clear that I believe the scriptures do in fact address climate change, specifically that it won't cause human extinction, that there is no need to fear.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Be afraid, be very afraid.

How humourous, species are dying, we may be on the brink of the disaster for 1/4 billion years and your bible teaches you to mock?

You may be interested to know that it is such attitudes that drove be from Christianity 35 years ago, i see things haven't improved

rrobs

So much for "intelligent" design, huh?
You're missing a big part of the story. Whether you consider is a fairy tale of not, at least you should know the whole story.

When God first made the earth it was perfect, a paradise. Part of that perfection was free will for man. In addition God gave dominion over the earth to man. He told them how to keep things going smoothly. He told them exactly what would happen if they disobeyed. They chose to go their own way. How is that God's fault?

rrobs

Oh well, if The Bible says so, it must be true. I will leave a note to my scientists colleague working on that, so that they will not lose more time.

Ciao

- viole
Good. And you might want to put them in touch with the forgotten scientists, you know, the ones who do not believe in the GW hysteria. There is such a thing in case you didn't know.

ChristineM

Premium Member
You're missing a big part of the story. Whether you consider is a fairy tale of not, at least you should know the whole story.

When God first made the earth it was perfect, a paradise. Part of that perfection was free will for man. In addition God gave dominion over the earth to man. He told them how to keep things going smoothly. He told them exactly what would happen if they disobeyed. They chose to go their own way. How is that God's fault?

Do you don't blame your designer for faults in the design. So not omniscient then?

rrobs

How humourous, species are dying, we may be on the brink of the disaster for 1/4 billion years and your bible teaches you to mock?

You may be interested to know that it is such attitudes that drove be from Christianity 35 years ago, i see things haven't improved
Well, perhaps I should not have been so caviler. I think if you read the OP you will see my true feeling about fear, i.e. there is not need for it.

BTW, no need to blame me for your lack of faith. It's your decision.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Good. And you might want to put them in touch with the forgotten scientists, you know, the ones who do not believe in the GW hysteria. There is such a thing in case you didn't know.

i didn't think there were any credible, mainstream climatologists left who don't accept the mass of evidence

rrobs

Do you don't blame your designer for faults in the design. So not omniscient then?
Free will is not a design fault. It is love. Think about letting the bird in the cage go free. God must work with people to accomplish His goals. Surely you remember that Jesus couldn't do much in his home town because they didn't believe.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That's right. Would you like the verse references?

I would like in your own words why you consider anything attributed to your god to be beyond question and yet you say "thats right" you dont consider your god omniscient

ChristineM

Premium Member
Free will is not a design fault. It is love. Think about letting the bird in the cage go free. God must work with people to accomplish His goals. Surely you remember that Jesus couldn't do much in his home town because they didn't believe.

Free will, worship me or die.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Well, perhaps I should not have been so caviler. I think if you read the OP you will see my true feeling about fear, i.e. there is not need for it.

BTW, no need to blame me for your lack of faith. It's your decision.

Correct you shouldn't,but you were

Hey, i wasn't blaming you, i was recounting they your attitude is the same as that that drove a 14 year old child from the church and made the decision for me.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Yes, there are also people who believe the earth is flat, because God told them so. Should I connect the scientists to them, too?

Ciao

- viole

Heyo

Veteran Member
I don't remember agreeing to that. If I did, it was because of a misunderstanding.
You didn't agree. I agreed when you brought it up.
Gen 8:22,
While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.​
I don't see climate change there. No need to fear, God is here!
The OP ought to make it clear that I believe the scriptures do in fact address climate change,
No, it doesn't. The bold text says the opposite.
specifically that it won't cause human extinction, that there is no need to fear.
And we also agree on that. No human extinction but a really bad time and no need to fear but a need to act.
Can we agree on that also?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which are family... adaptation is amazing!
That's not adaptation, that's interbreeding. As each bear is adapted to quite different niches, I'd expect them to be poorly adapted to either species' customary lifestyle.

rrobs

I would like in your own words why you consider anything attributed to your god to be beyond question and yet you say "thats right" you dont consider your god omniscient
Having been a Christian, you may be aware that Genesis 1:26 & 28 says that God gave man dominion over the earth. You can see the same thing in Psalm 8:4. Does that square with the idea of omniscience?

I understand the orthodox church says God is omniscient, that it is most people's idea that He is omniscient, but it seems that Genesis says otherwise. Do we believe church doctrine or the scriptures? That is each person's own decision to make.

In general God can not do whatever He wants. He must do what He says He will do in the scriptures. He can not do what He says He will not do.

Since the word "omniscient" is not in the scriptures, I'm not sure exactly what it even means, but it can't mean God is totally in charge and can do whatever strikes His fancy. It's a man made concept and not deserving of much consideration as far as I'm concerned.

Take care

Rational Agnostic

Well, humans have only existed for a tiny fraction of the history of life on earth. So how can you blame humans for the extinctions that took place long before human existence?

rrobs

Free will, worship me or die.
Total misrepresentation.

Are you against free will? Would you rather God put us in the cage and never let us out?

Do you see Satan as having any role in this world, or do you just think he lounges around with a big grin on his face and watches God hurt people?

rrobs

Correct you shouldn't, but you were. Hey, i wasn't blaming you, i was recounting they your attitude is the same as that that drove a 14 year old child from the church and made the decision for me.
Well, I myself was driven from the church, but I recognized that the church and the scriptures were often diametrically opposed to each other. I just didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.