• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Whence Cometh This Nonsense?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Yes but this is not referring to an actual king, as Jesus clearly wasn't, according to the narrative. The way I've heard it said is that Jesus was a bona fide king with crown and sceptre. Like Harel.
A) You correctly strike-through "Like Harel":cool:, but not all are as accurate as you;). Hence such sort of errors easily happen:oops:

B) Jesus was called "King of the Jews", and like with this "children-whisper-game", before you know Jesus became an actual king. No Google, nor USBstick to save what you "typed". I would be very surprised if such very old manuscripts were 100% accurate. Not saying, that this makes them less valuable though. There are plenty of good Teachings. And Wisdom is gained from Teachings, not from knowledge about Jesus his sex-life.

Terry Sampson

Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene..., so who came up with these ramblings and from where?
According to 'The Lost Gospel' by Professor Barrie Wilson and Simcha Jacobovici,
  • We have uncovered an ancient writing that is encrypted with a hidden meaning. In the process of decoding it, we’ll take you on a journey into the world of this mysterious text. What the Vatican feared—and Dan Brown only suspected—has come true. There is now written evidence that Jesus was married to Mary the Magdalene1 and that they had children together. More than this, based on the new evidence, we now know what the original Jesus movement looked like and the unexpected role sexuality played in it. We have even unraveled the politics behind the crucifixion, as well as the events and the people that took part in it.
Beginning with the story of "Joseph and Aseneth" in a dusty book in a library, the authors proceed "to connect the dots",

dots.jpg

and conclude that:

• We now have a very different Jesus than the one depicted by Pauline Christianity and a very, very different Mary the Magdalene.
    Once we see Mary the Magdalene for who she is—once we stop reading Christian texts through the eyes of Pauline orthodoxy—a whole new world opens up. Suddenly, we realize that Mary the Magdalene was Jesus’ wife and that she was not Jewish. We further realize that she was the original Virgin Mary and the original “lady” (as in “our lady”), not Jesus’ mother. More than this, because of the suspected adultery, it was probably Mary the mother who was the object of scorn, no doubt called a prostitute behind her back. It seems that Pauline orthodoxy simply switched titles, calling the mother a virgin and the wife a prostitute.
    We also realize that the Gentile church does not start with Paul, but with Mary the Magdalene. Suddenly we realize that Gnosticism does not begin with Valentinus, but with Jesus himself. We realize that the founders of Christianity were Jesus and Mary the Magdalene, not Paul. They taught a message that grew out of the margins of Judaism and blended with the margins of Artemis worship. It was this syncretic fusion that swept the
    Roman Empire. But it was a dangerous theology. It was adopted by Rome only after it was emasculated. Pauline Christianity took Mary the Magdalene out of the story and the sex out of the theology. In David Friedman’s words, Christianity became “a culture where the virgin symbolized all that was pure, the penis stood for all that was evil. What defined Mary’s sanctity was her lack of contact with a penis.” Put differently, Christianity became the official religion of the Roman empire only after the sexuality that was central to Jesus and Mary the Magdalene’s “ministry” was removed and substituted with Paul’s Attis-based asceticism.
And I am left speechless.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
According to 'The Lost Gospel' by Professor Barrie Wilson and Simcha Jacobovici,
  • We have uncovered an ancient writing that is encrypted with a hidden meaning. In the process of decoding it, we’ll take you on a journey into the world of this mysterious text. What the Vatican feared—and Dan Brown only suspected—has come true. There is now written evidence that Jesus was married to Mary the Magdalene1 and that they had children together. More than this, based on the new evidence, we now know what the original Jesus movement looked like and the unexpected role sexuality played in it. We have even unraveled the politics behind the crucifixion, as well as the events and the people that took part in it.
Beginning with the story of "Joseph and Aseneth" in a dusty book in a library, the authors proceed "to connect the dots",

View attachment 42839
and conclude that:

• We now have a very different Jesus than the one depicted by Pauline Christianity and a very, very different Mary the Magdalene.
    Once we see Mary the Magdalene for who she is—once we stop reading Christian texts through the eyes of Pauline orthodoxy—a whole new world opens up. Suddenly, we realize that Mary the Magdalene was Jesus’ wife and that she was not Jewish. We further realize that she was the original Virgin Mary and the original “lady” (as in “our lady”), not Jesus’ mother.
    More than this, because of the suspected adultery, it was probably Mary the mother who was the object of scorn, no doubt called a prostitute behind her back. It seems that Pauline orthodoxy simply switched titles, calling the mother a virgin and the wife a prostitute.
    We also realize that the Gentile church does not start with Paul, but with Mary the Magdalene. Suddenly we realize that Gnosticism does not begin with Valentinus, but with Jesus himself. We realize that the founders of Christianity were Jesus and Mary the Magdalene, not Paul. They taught a message that grew out of the margins of Judaism and blended with the margins of Artemis worship. It was this syncretic fusion that swept the
    Roman Empire. But it was a dangerous theology. It was adopted by Rome only after it was emasculated. Pauline Christianity took Mary the Magdalene out of the story and the sex out of the theology. In David Friedman’s words, Christianity became “a culture where the virgin symbolized all that was pure, the penis stood for all that was evil. What defined Mary’s sanctity was her lack of contact with a penis.” Put differently, Christianity became the official religion of the Roman empire only after the sexuality that was central to Jesus and Mary the Magdalene’s “ministry” was removed and substituted with Paul’s Attis-based asceticism.
And I am left speechless.
I don't even.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I keep hearing certain folks going on about how Jesus was a king. Josephus wrote the Gospels. Jesus is buried in England. Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. All this.

Where does this, frankly, rubbish come from? Any New Testament scholar will tell you that we know next to nothing about the historical Jesus so who came up with these ramblings and from where?

Hang on.......... Hang on a bit.........
We do have a fairly reasonable idea about the historical Jesus.
King? No, he was a Galilean Jewish peasant.
Josephus? No. He knew very little about Jesus, a bit more about the Baptist.
England? Possibly Cornwall..... not such a strange idea and an old oral tradition in those parts.
Magdalene? Possible. I reckon they were lovers, and she his closest supporter. Leonardo thought so for sure! :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
An idea yes, non-biased sources no.
Biased....... how, exactly?

The Cornish people have traded with Eastern Mediterranean merchants for the last 3500-4000 years. The Cornish people have an oral tradition that Joseph of Arimathea was a merchant who frequently traded with Cornwall and since it was the biggest exporter of tin in the known world and certainly to ports such as Tyre and Sidon..... they might be right. They even have an islet where they say that Joseph stayed, and with Jesus.

Nobody knows now, but it's no more 'rubbish' than some Christian accounts could look like.

As for Mary (of Magdala?) ..... sure, I think she was Jesus's partner.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Biased....... how, exactly?

The Cornish people have traded with Eastern Mediterranean merchants for the last 3500-4000 years. The Cornish people have an oral tradition that Joseph of Arimathea was a merchant who frequently traded with Cornwall and since it was the biggest exporter of tin in the known world and certainly to ports such as Tyre and Sidon..... they might be right. They even have an islet where they say that Joseph stayed, and with Jesus.

Nobody knows now, but it's no more 'rubbish' than some Christian accounts could look like.

As for Mary (of Magdala?) ..... sure, I think she was Jesus's partner.
I meant the gospels.

The people I'm talking about are stating their beliefs as historical fact, not just some oral tradition. They think that there have been active cover ups and what not. I'm looking for sources for these things that aren't just 'Someone said so.'

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I meant the gospels.

The people I'm talking about are stating their beliefs as historical fact, not just some oral tradition. They think that there have been active cover ups and what not. I'm looking for sources for these things that aren't just 'Someone said so.'

Oral Tradition is a way of passing down history, although over 2000 years it is treated with interest rather than determined support.

But since Christians mostly just have 'Faith' and since history is mostly all about the 'Balance of probabilities and possibilities' you are free to add your opinions to the mix. :)

As for the gospels, I think that the gospel of Mark, with the Christian edits, additions and manipulations sieved out is a fairly strong Statement about what happened over an 11 to 12 month period of time.

Jesus is buried in England.

There is an old legend about Joseph of Arimathea visiting England.

IIRC, it's possible that in the Roman era there were links between the Middle East and Cornwall (?) due to the tin trade which may have been a factor.

Perhaps turned into a bit of a yarn based on conversion to Christianity where local legends develop in a "well we were converted by...".

Presumably the Jesus bit got tacked on to this due to the J of A's connection to the crucifixion.

Goes way back though, it's not a modern myth.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There is an old legend about Joseph of Arimathea visiting England.

IIRC, it's possible that in the Roman era there were links between the Middle East and Cornwall (?) due to the tin trade which may have been a factor.

Perhaps turned into a bit of a yarn based on conversion to Christianity where local legends develop in a "well we were converted by...".

Presumably the Jesus bit got tacked on to this due to the J of A's connection to the crucifixion.

Goes way back though, it's not a modern myth.
But surely folks understand these are just unverified legends and to make them into historical fact as we see it is to misapply it?

I recall reading once that Medieval peasants became annoyed when things started to become written more, since it made the truth concrete and not just what a person said. It seems that for the longest time the 'truth' was what most folks agreed it was. It seems weird to me to play fast and loose with the truth like this.

But to put this in a book or talk about it on a radio show like it's 100% fact? You can't just say such a thing without backing it up with sources?

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I keep hearing certain folks going on about how Jesus was a king. Josephus wrote the Gospels. Jesus is buried in England. Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. All this.

Where does this, frankly, rubbish come from? Any New Testament scholar will tell you that we know next to nothing about the historical Jesus so who came up with these ramblings and from where?
Ah, well you call it rubbish, now...

It may be British Israelism. Anyways if the British Israelite faith is accurate in its claims then you're automagically Jewish aren't you, because you're so British. How would you like that? Wanna be Jewish? I could make you a certificate in GIMP.

British Israelism - Wikipedia

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
According to the narrative he is kind of king but "not of this world".
Yes but that's not what I'm saying. This theory makes Jesus a king. An actual one. The people who believe this think he was a real king.

Onoma

I'd offer that the story partially ( the crucifixion at least ) was based on the traditions of the Mesopotamian " proxy king "

Tradition had it that a proxy king ( substitute ) was installed, then later killed, to fulfill sacrificial requirements of the " gods " ( Planets ) during astronomical phenomenon

Hence the " darkening of the sun " being associated with the crucifixion ( No eclipse was possible on that supposed day, iirc )

This was a classic " apotropaic " ritual

Orbit

I'm a planet

Television preacher Gene Scott was one who popularized this stuff in the 1980s.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Hmm...I have a book somewhere that outlines a few conspiracy theories which might have informed the Da Vinci Code.
The Mary Magdalene one is there (with her apparently appearing in the Last Supper amongst 'evidence').
But there was another one about a flight from the Middle East. I can't remember where Mary and Jesus supposedly fled to, but I can dig it out a little later and check off against these.