• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Whence Cometh This Nonsense?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Right. And there are few civil cancers so great as a citizenry that eagerly feeds on baloney.
Roughly 5.5 billion people feed on "baloney" (incl. you), another group of 1.1 billion people, not believing in God/Religion might think, say or post on RF

Last edited:

stvdv

People who believe in all this stuff aren't any more interested in history than people who read tabloids are interested in the news.

They don't want to be informed, they want to be entertained.
Is there a difference between those and the ones criticizing those?
"This world-appearance is a confusion: even as the blueness of the sky is an optical illusion. I think it is better not to let the mind dwell on it, but to ignore it....The mind caught up in its own trap of logic, questions 'why', invents a 'why' and a 'wherefore' to satisfy itself, conveniently ignoring the inconvenient questions that still haunt an intelligent mind".

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there a difference between those and the ones criticizing those?

Yes

"This world-appearance is a confusion: even as the blueness of the sky is an optical illusion. I think it is better not to let the mind dwell on it, but to ignore it....The mind caught up in its own trap of logic, questions 'why', invents a 'why' and a 'wherefore' to satisfy itself, conveniently ignoring the inconvenient questions that still haunt an intelligent mind".

I don't think "did Jesus visit India" or "is he buried in England" count as questions that haunt an intelligent mind.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I keep hearing certain folks going on about how Jesus was a king. Josephus wrote the Gospels. Jesus is buried in England. Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. All this.

Where oes this, frankly, rubbish come from? Any New Testament scholar will tell you that we know next to nothing about the historical Jesus so who came up with these ramblings and from where?

The NT as genealogies of both Joseph and Mary, showing they are both descended directly from King David (through his sons Solomon and Nathan, respectively).

Jesus could have had the scrolls opened and taken an earthly throne as king, a more valid king than the Idumean Herod dynasty.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The NT as genealogies of both Joseph and Mary, showing they are both descended directly from King David (through his sons Solomon and Nathan, respectively).

Jesus could have had the scrolls opened and taken an earthly throne as king, a more valid king than the Idumean Herod dynasty.
But he wasn't a king. So why are these conspiracy theorists saying he was?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
But if you don't believe you can fully trust the Christian Testament, how can you be sure of these things?
Fully trust.....!!
You've answered your own question I think.
I don't fully trust the gospels but they are surely full of very valuable details. Study and research can be a fairly effective sieve. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
But he wasn't a king. So why are these conspiracy theorists saying he was?
I think that much of Christianity was a conspiracy.
I don't think Jesus was about Christianity, I think he was about anti-corruption in Judaism.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Fully trust.....!!
You've answered your own question I think.
I don't fully trust the gospels but they are surely full of very valuable details. Study and research can be a fairly effective sieve. :)
So how do you know what you can trust and what you can't? This is where I take the views of people like Bart Ehrman seriously, but these theories are nothing like Ehrman's and make no sense.

Terry Sampson

So how do you know what you can trust and what you can't? This is where I take the views of people like Bart Ehrman seriously, but these theories are nothing like Ehrman's and make no sense.
You realize you're talking to a deist, don't you?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You realize you're talking to a deist, don't you?
Yeah, but that doesn't have any impact upon my argument. It still has no bearing on whether Jesus was buried in England. I just find these views strange and without provenance. All I want to know is where they come from other than 'someone's imagination'.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
True, but it impacts on the usefulness of any response you get from one, IMO.
Right, but I'm not asking this question to Christians particularly; just anyone who might know where this stuff comes from. I mean, Paul was really Josephus? Where is there any indication of this? Jesus was an actual king with crown and sceptre? Why is he mentioned in no historical record? Back up your damn claims, fam.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't follow Bart Ehrman too much.
I've come to my own opinions about what happened, and I have not followed the hj scholars, I just researched my own way.

The hj professors and scholars do not agree with each other very closely, and in studies like this it's best to research for oneself.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't follow Bart Ehrman too much.
I've come to my own opinions about what happened, and I have not followed the hj scholars, I just researched my own way.

The hj professors and scholars do not agree with each other very closely, and in studies like this it's best to research for oneself.
Yes, but you can't insert a narrative that isn't evidenced.

stvdv

No, the correct answer is yes.
( your turn)]
I created this question, so I know the answer;) to this question
You are free to create your own question/answer though:D

Like beliefs, all can choose which they like best

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I created this question, so I know the answer;) to this question
You are free to create your own question/answer though:D

Like beliefs, all can choose which they like best
Okay which is bigger the moon or a marble?

Answer: a marble.

I created the question, therefore . . .