• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From Whence Cometh This Nonsense?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I'm truly sorry, but for you to compare the efforts of folks like Copernicus, Kepler, and Galileo with your speculation on "what psychics and channels have to tell us about the life of Jesus" is laughable at best.
My point was the likes of you a few centuries back were the ones scoffing at Copernicus, Kepler and Galileo. Get the analogy?

‘From whence cometh this nonsense’ was their tune. The book of Genesis has this subject covered.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
People who believe in all this stuff aren't any more interested in history than people who read tabloids are interested in the news.

They don't want to be informed, they want to be entertained.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I keep hearing certain folks going on about how Jesus was a king. Josephus wrote the Gospels. Jesus is buried in England. Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. All this.

Where does this, frankly, rubbish come from? Any New Testament scholar will tell you that we know next to nothing about the historical Jesus so who came up with these ramblings and from where?
it was a false accustion

the Pharisees wanted the Guy dead
that was noted as He spoke the Golden Rule in their faces

at the trial the Pharisees complained He claims to be the Son of God
Rome didn't care about that

but then the accusation.....the Son of God IS king of the Jews

that would be insurrection

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Like Harel.
I will now quell all rumors about me: I don't have a crown or a scepter or any concrete evidence that I should rule over any country, whether Israel, Poland, Tra-la-la or any other place.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There is an old legend about Joseph of Arimathea visiting England.
Yes. Cornwall, England.

IIRC, it's possible that in the Roman era there were links between the Middle East and Cornwall (?) due to the tin trade which may have been a factor.
From about 2000 BC the Phoenicians were coming to Cornwall for tin. Ports such as Sidon and Tyre received tin from Cornwall.

Presumably the Jesus bit got tacked on to this due to the J of A's connection to the crucifixion.

Goes way back though, it's not a modern myth.
They say that Jesus is buried on an Islet just offshore..... cannot remember its name.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
But to put this in a book or talk about it on a radio show like it's 100% fact? You can't just say such a thing without backing it up with sources?
What sources?

In ancient times the people only had one way of remembering their ancestral past and that was through 'Oral Tradition'.

Many African tribes were using Oral Tradition in the 19th century and with remarkable accuracy, we hear.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yes but that's not what I'm saying. This theory makes Jesus a king. An actual one. The people who believe this think he was a real king.

Well, check with the historians on here but that is how a Jewish peasant DID become a King.
I don't think that Herod the Great was a Levite...... he was a very very successful Brigand, Bandit and Villain which is how he came to power and then later to Kingship under the Roman Occupation.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What sources?
Exactly!

So on what basis do they go against mainstream NT scholarship and make these claims. That's my thing.

And I'm not saying they are just making the claims, but they literally do whole radio shows on this stuff. They flesh it out for hours.

Now my dad's head is full of nonsense about the Bible and even the Talmud.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I will now quell all rumors about me: I don't have a crown or a scepter or any concrete evidence that I should rule over any country, whether Israel, Poland, Tra-la-la or any other place.
Pshhh :p

Who needs evidence? Just go conquer some place!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Exactly!

So on what basis do they go against mainstream NT scholarship and make these claims. That's my thing.

And I'm not saying they are just making the claims, but they literally do whole radio shows on this stuff. They flesh it out for hours.

Now my dad's head is full of nonsense about the Bible and even the Talmud.
Sadly the NT is full of adjustments, additions, edits and some baloney.

But that Magdalene was with Jesus, that seems very very likely

I have a lot more info on the Cornwall tradition and must dig it out and post it up for this thread.

Thing is, I don't think that Jesus died on that cross.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Sadly the NT is full of adjustments, additions, edits and some baloney.

But that Magdalene was with Jesus, that seems very very likely

I have a lot more info on the Cornwall tradition and must dig it out and post it up for this thread.

Thing is, I don't think that Jesus died on that cross.
But if you don't believe you can fully trust the Christian Testament, how can you be sure of these things?

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Also I recall that he mentions an author called Ralph Ellis who apparently has a dozen books or so on this, but a Google search tells me he's a 'revisionist'.

Books by Ralph Ellis (Author of Jesus)

Ellis, Ralph |

This is the kind of stuff Dad is spouting,

'He has also proposed(f) that Flavius Josephus was in fact St. Paul! This idea has been taken up by others'

'In his trilogy, The Gospel of King Jesus, Ellis ‘reveals’ that Jesus was the great grandson of Queen Cleopatra and was King Izas of Edessa, in what is now northern Syria.'

But where's he taking this from?

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Such humility, I think they should let you rule over the world:D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
After all, the British Courts have accepted that these people indulged in nefarious dealings. What these fraudsters are saying is that they would not get a fair deal in India, which is not true. Indian Supreme Court has gone against the governments hundreds of time. They will stick to the law. But those who have been involved in frauds should not think that the Court will not punish them. There are corrupt politicians who are serving time in jail. The last stop for these crooks are generally Carribean Islands.

Last edited: