• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally! More Young Americans Accept Evolution than Believe in Creationism...

Status
Not open for further replies.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
we have not found the missing link.....and I don't think we will
With the most recent Chad find, this might change. It has so many shared ape/human characteristics that there's been plenty of dispute as to which way it should be classified, so that's been put off. Sorta looks a lot like Donald Trump.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
we have not found the missing link.....and I don't think we will
There really are no "missing" links. In a number of species, including our own, we may not have full picture, we may even get things wrong, but you can still clearly see the progression of a species' evolutionary line, even if it is only a piece here and there. It's similar to how with just a few bits of evidence, we can learn what happened at a crime without having actually witnesed it. Some details may be wrong, but the general idea is still correct.
And every fossilized creature is a link, and all living organisms are a potential link. And because of this, the very term "missing link" is a misnomer because every fossil of an unearthed species is a "missing" part of the evolutionary line, and then it is just a link, or there is nothing to be found because remains, including fossils, have been destroyed by the process of time.

Sonofason

LOL. So we're more decadent now than say when American was 99% Christian during the slave days? That wonderful, holy, kind society that kept, raped and beat human slaves while quoting Bible verse to justify it?

Me thinks the moral decay of America is imaginary. We're far more moral now, despite horrors like kids wearing pants too low around the waist and showing an unclothed human buttock on TV.
Well, yes, we are. Keep in mind:
"At the time of the founding of the Republic in 1776, slavery existed literally everywhere on earth and had been an accepted aspect of human history from the very beginning of organized societies."
(http://townhall.com/columnists/mich...ent_truths_about_the_us_and_slavery/page/full)

And remember it was those Christian conservatives who were responsible for abolishing slavery in the United States and the world.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
There really are no "missing" links. In a number of species, including our own, we may not have full picture, we may even get things wrong, but you can still clearly see the progression of a species' evolutionary line, even if it is only a piece here and there. It's similar to how with just a few bits of evidence, we can learn what happened at a crime without having actually witnesed it. Some details may be wrong, but the general idea is still correct.
And every fossilized creature is a link, and all living organisms are a potential link. And because of this, the very term "missing link" is a misnomer because every fossil of an unearthed species is a "missing" part of the evolutionary line, and then it is just a link, or there is nothing to be found because remains, including fossils, have been destroyed by the process of time.
Or, haven't been found yet. There a millions of square miles of geologic layers that likely have fossils that are still underground, and won't be exposed naturally for thousands to millions of years. We could start digging, but it's expensive and labor intensive when searching for fossil remains.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, yes, we are. Keep in mind:
"At the time of the founding of the Republic in 1776, slavery existed literally everywhere on earth and had been an accepted aspect of human history from the very beginning of organized societies."
(http://townhall.com/columnists/mich...ent_truths_about_the_us_and_slavery/page/full)
That really works against your case, and very strongly, because clearly any society that abolishes slavery becomes more more ethical and moral the very minute the practice is brought to an end.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The more our nation turns away from God, the more decadent it becomes. And the more decadent our society becomes the more who turn away from God. I really don't care if you think the quote I used is appropriate or not. I do. And I have re-read what I said, and I still think it was relevant.

You see, it is easy to accept evolution and Creation. But if you do not believe in God you cannot accept creation even though they are completely compatible. And only a non-believer wouldn't see that.

Bigotry is being eradicated. People are starting to take care of the earth.That's decadent?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
LOL. So we're more decadent now than say when American was 99% Christian during the slave days? That wonderful, holy, kind society that kept, raped and beat human slaves while quoting Bible verse to justify it?

Me thinks the moral decay of America is imaginary. We're far more moral now, despite horrors like kids wearing pants too low around the waist and showing an unclothed human buttock on TV.

He means because gay people can get married and women can get abortions...

Sonofason

That isn't an excuse. If there is an ultimate/original cause, then what caused god? And according to many religions, god is not eternal, and even the gods know/will know death. But how did god get there/here?
God is eternal. It's not an excuse, its a fact.

Sonofason

That really works against your case, and very strongly, because clearly any society that abolishes slavery becomes more more ethical and moral the very minute the practice is brought to an end.
I don't think it works against my case. Christians are the ones who worked toward the abolishing slavery.

But more to your point, why do you think that slavery is worse than homosexuality. I disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.