• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally! More Young Americans Accept Evolution than Believe in Creationism...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
False. We have found a multitude of "missing links" connecting us with our common ancestor with modern apes.

False. There have been a multitude of repeatable experiments supporting the ToE.

Not really sure how this is relevant.
photo please...
I will hold my stance as is, til I see one......

EVIDENCE MAN!......EVIDENCE!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I don't think it works against my case. Christians are the ones who worked toward the abolishing slavery.

But more to your point, why do you think that slavery is worse than homosexuality. I disagree.
Yep, Christians in the American South were just leading the way in ending slavery...wait, what?:rolleyes:

Sonofason

Bigotry is being eradicated. People are starting to take care of the earth.That's decadent?
And what exactly does environmentalism have to do with this conversation? Bigotry will never be eradicated. We'll still have atheists.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
With the most recent Chad find, this might change. It has so many shared ape/human characteristics that there's been plenty of dispute as to which way it should be classified, so that's been put off. Sorta looks a lot like Donald Trump.
if evolution is that slow and painstaking development that it is suppose to be......

the formation of Man as we are......is a puzzle.
there appears to be a 'leap'

see Genesis

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
if evolution is that slow and painstaking development that it is suppose to be......

the formation of Man as we are......is a puzzle.
there appears to be a 'leap'

see Genesis
What does Genesis have to do with how we evolved?

Secondly, the evolutionary process is not a neat nice straight line because there's various factors involved, plus finding human fossils ain't that easy.

Thirdly, We are gradually closing the "gap" whereas the common ancestor is quite possibly to be found, and as I mentioned previously, there are some researchers who think the Chad find is pretty close-- or maybe even that type of ancestor-- too early to tell at this point.

And finally, what do you mean by "leap" above?

metis

But more to your point, why do you think that slavery is worse than homosexuality. I disagree.

Really? Homosexuality is between consensual adults whereas slavery is forced upon another that involves suffering.

metis

And what exactly does environmentalism have to do with this conversation? Bigotry will never be eradicated. We'll still have atheists.
No, slavery is not a cause of suffering. Suffering is caused by physical or mental abuse or fatigue.
So, what do you think slaves did? Just sit around and play checkers while drinking pina coladas?

Nah, I think that most people who look at both will conclude that slavery is far worse because it is forced whereas homosexuality is consensual.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
No, slavery is not a cause of suffering. Suffering is caused by physical or mental abuse or fatigue.
Suffering is caused by one group of people treating other people as 3/5ths human (or less), and as property to be bought, sold, and disposed of without consideration. The very inequality of it is a cause of suffering: mental cruelty, with attached physical cruelty in most cases. Even the few who treated their slaves kindly, treated them as less than children.

Sonofason

So, what do you think slaves did? Just sit around and play checkers while drinking pina coladas?

Nah, I think that most people who look at both will conclude that slavery is far worse because it is forced whereas homosexuality is consensual.
I think you're right. Most people would come to that conclusion. After all, most people are against slavery, and most people condone homosexuality.

metis

I think you're right. Most people would come to that conclusion. After all, most people are against slavery, and most people condone homosexuality.
Hey, what you do behind closed doors is your own business as long as you're not hurting anyone. I have no interest in trying to find out whom you might be going to bed with because it's simply none of my business.

Now, what's so terrible about my approach?

lostwanderingsoul

If a child goes to school and all he hears is "two plus two equals three" then he will believe that even though it is not true. If a child goes to school and all he hears is animals evolved then he will believe that even if it is false. Schools are not allowed to teach creationism so students learn only about evolution. Is it really any wonder they accept that instead of creationism. Older people have had a chance to learn about and compare evolution and creationism and so many accept creationism.

metis

I used to bring in a creationist pastor or deacon to my anthropology course to cover this, and one of the times the deacon said much the same above, and I responded in a friendly way that maybe I could cover the ToE in front of his church students. He got a funny look on his face and I never got that phone call. Maybe a wee bit hypocritical, you think?

Creationism isn't science in any way, so it does not belong being taught as such in a science classroom. If a church wants to teach it, that's clearly their choice, but they shouldn't be so hypocritical.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If a child goes to school and all he hears is "two plus two equals three" then he will believe that even though it is not true. If a child goes to school and all he hears is animals evolved then he will believe that even if it is false. Schools are not allowed to teach creationism so students learn only about evolution. Is it really any wonder they accept that instead of creationism. Older people have had a chance to learn about and compare evolution and creationism and so many accept creationism.

You might want to add 'in the USA' to that. Accepting creationism, regardless of age, is not common in the vast majority of the First World.

Country.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Christians are the ones who worked toward the abolishing slavery.
It was actually a bunch of different people, and more liberal Christians than conservative Christians.
Saying that homosexuality is "worse" or "on par" with slavery is a rather warped view.
God is eternal. It's not an excuse, its a fact.
Why is god eternal? How is god eternal? How did god come into existence?
And what exactly does environmentalism have to do with this conversation?
When we take care of the environment, we are taking care of each other and all life on Earth. When we destroy the environment, we are harming and killing each other and all life on Earth.

Bigotry will never be eradicated.
No. But that doesn't mean we should ignore it and do nothing.

We'll still have atheists.
If you look around, atheists tend to be less bigoted and more tolerant than many Christians. A more accurate term would be to say we'll still have ********, because they can be found everywhere.

Slavery does cause those things, it causes suffering, and it strips someone of being a fully privileged and entitled human being that is degraded to the status of property.

Status
Not open for further replies.