• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally! More Young Americans Accept Evolution than Believe in Creationism...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I've no idea if Planck ever said such a thing.
But it would be one man's opinion.
Many others know that we don't need faith for scientific work.

Remember that scientists are mere humans.
And one can always find examples who say & do wrong things.
Science remains useful, even if its practitioners are flawed.

That's why we must acknowledge our beliefs, our faith, we are all humans, we all believe in something.

One of the core principles of science, critical thought, is recognizing and removing our own biases right?, how does an atheist separate a belief he doesn't even acknowledge he has?

Altfish

Veteran Member
The question is always the one someone is trying to answer, but I think it's funny when you ask a science-minded person... Why was the big bang something that happened? It seems unimportant and unnecessary... Thus, there is some reason why that probably gets down to something more than "it just did"... That wouldn't be a good enough answer to explain a chemical reaction in a college class let alone explain the origin of the universe. All of the creation theories are as plausible as anything science comes up with after they point; they both have ideas... and that's all they are.. :) We should hit these problems in a unified fashion using the lore of our past with the science of now. If we're interested in the truth we don't care where it comes from just that it is.

My pet theory was always that "God" (not Yahweh) killed itself to make the rest... Much like when you have a bacteria reproduce asexually by dividing. But, it's just a theory... It's not something I believe, but more something that I see nature do. :)

As far as the gaps I think the real problem is we can't get DNA/genes from fossils that are really old. We have a fundamental problem proving their ancestry due to the fact that it doesn't survive well past 250,000 years. All of the taxonomic assumptions past that time may be completely wrong -- these are educated guesses, but they are still guesses. There are four species of hominid that we know existed in that period so we have better clues, but past that... It's a crap shoot - let's separate science fact from science fiction. :)
I think most scientists would happily answer "I don't know". A perfectly acceptable answer especially when followed with, "but we are working on it"

HonestJoe

What's important about evolution and creationalism, anyway? I know one is a mystery the other is, well, interesting; but...whats up with why its so popular topic in general?
For some reason creationism gets pushed more than any other theological concept. There are quite a few people demanding creationism/ID is taught in schools for example yet they don’t make the same call for anything else. This gives the debate a more immediate and practical consequence and so it gets more attention that other concepts that will be just of academic interest (to the non-theists at least).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's why we must acknowledge our beliefs, our faith, we are all humans, we all believe in something.
One of the core principles of science, critical thought, is recognizing and removing our own biases right?, how does an atheist separate a belief he doesn't even acknowledge he has?
Who says what bias is unacknowledged by whom?
But yes, bias should be managed, & it can be difficult.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Atheists here keep telling me they don't think atheism is a belief at all.
This would be true for some atheists, but not for all.
It ain't like we meet to decide what we should all believe (or not).
We're very disorganized.

Last edited:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Hah!
You think they invite any of us heathens outside of their little coffee klatch?

The Magic of Reality with Richard Dawkins
Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Michigan Theater, 601 E. Liberty St., Ann Arbor, Michigan, View Map
Description
We invite you to join us for a special evening with Richard Dawkins, the world's most famous evolutionary biologist and one of science education's most passionate advocates.

Doors open at 3:30pm

Cost: No charge: first come, first serve. Please arrive early, bring a barf bag.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Atheists here keep telling me they don't think atheism is a belief at all. A person cannot separate a belief they don't admit having
There are different definitions of "atheist", so that's probably the problem you've run across. I prefer to use two words, "atheist" and "agnostic" to cover this, with the former as being defined as "one whom believes there are no deities", and "agnostic" as "one who does not know if there are any deities". However, some people use the word "atheist" to cover both definitions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Magic of Reality with Richard Dawkins
Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Michigan Theater, 601 E. Liberty St., Ann Arbor, Michigan, View Map
Description
We invite you to join us for a special evening with Richard Dawkins, the world's most famous evolutionary biologist and one of science education's most passionate advocates.

Doors open at 3:30pm

Cost: No charge: first come, first serve. Please arrive early, bring a barf bag.
Ugh...I was busy elsewhere that day.
And that will be the case if he comes to town again.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are different definitions of "atheist", so that's probably the problem you've run across. I prefer to use two words, "atheist" and "agnostic" to cover this, with the former as being defined as "one whom believes there are no deities", and "agnostic" as "one who does not know if there are any deities". However, some people use the word "atheist" to cover both definitions.
I see overlap between "atheist" & "agnostic".
Practically speaking, there's no difference.....neither believe in gods.
So we don't ever have internacine conflict.

metis

Dawkins is a periodic guest on Bill Maher's Real Time show on HBO, and I do very much enjoy listening to him and reading his books. Sometimes he's a bit over-the-top, and I wonder if he doesn't at least partially do this for some publicity.

Like him or not, he's very brilliant.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
The more our nation turns away from God, the more decadent it becomes. And the more decadent our society becomes the more who turn away from God. I really don't care if you think the quote I used is appropriate or not. I do. And I have re-read what I said, and I still think it was relevant.

You see, it is easy to accept evolution and Creation. But if you do not believe in God you cannot accept creation even though they are completely compatible. And only a non-believer wouldn't see that.
theistic evolution=/= creationism

metis

I see overlap between "atheist" & "agnostic".
Practically speaking, there's no difference.....neither believe in gods.
So we don't ever have internacine conflict.
You're correct-- for once. :cool: [notice my sophisticated French appearance here]

dust1n

Zindīq
Ugh...I was busy elsewhere that day.
And that will be the case if he comes to town again.

Why can't you be as organized as your superior atheists? It's their sort of organizational skills it requires to... set up a talk and Q&A with an author at a theater...

Status
Not open for further replies.