1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Does your belief / religion ect offer a better deal ?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by John1.12, May 1, 2021.

1. Thirza Fallen

Thirza Fallen Crazy Cat Lady

Ratings:
    +1,188
    Religion:
    Spiritual but not religious
    Unfortunately, it doesn't make one a better person. That to me is an important aspect of a religion.

• Like Like x 2
  2. sayak83

sayak83 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,035
    Religion:
    Pluralist Hindu
    You are wrong about hinduism.

3. sayak83

sayak83 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,035
    Religion:
    Pluralist Hindu
    I agree here. But a challenge is fun. We need to be entertained.. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Thirza Fallen

Thirza Fallen Crazy Cat Lady

Ratings:
    +1,188
    Religion:
    Spiritual but not religious
    It's not free if you have only one choice in how to get to heaven.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +25,745
    Religion:
    Atheist
    One more educational video:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Psalm23

Psalm23 Member

Ratings:
    +277
    Religion:
    Christian
    But can you eat the Spaghetti Monster?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +25,745
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Well the traditional Friday dinner is spaghetti and meatballs.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,765
    Religion:
    None
    I'm a secular humanist, but not because I joined any ism. It's because I finally decided that the best world view for me was a godless metaphysics, an epistemology based on skepticism, reason, and evidence, and ethics grounded in the application of reason to compassion to construct a society that strives to make people the most they can be and that eschews faith-based thought, revelation, and tradition as reasons to believe anything.

That's where I ended up after a decade in Christianity, which I eventually discarded for a more empirical and reasonable, people-affirming worldview. It was only later that I discovered that other people called this secular humanism. Lookee there, I thought. Others have come to the same conclusions in numbers large enough to give it a name. I discovered Paul Kurtz and his Affirmations of Humanism. Yep. That's how I view the world and what I want for it and myself.

But these are not somebody else's rules that I submit to. They're my rules. Others happen to have them as well. I don't follow anybody or any ism. I don't look to others for rules on living. I'll hear their ideas, but won't adopt them until they become my ideas as well, which doesn't happen by taking instruction. My requirements for my behavior come from within and are self-imposed.

Why? Are you looking to upgrade?

As you imply, if we have different worldviews and are each happy where we are, you find yours more fitted to your needs and proclivities, and I see mine the same way - more right for me.

I'm not promoting mine to you. I'm not suggesting that you change to it. In fact, if one is in the later part of your life (you're 47 yo), he's not searching for alternatives. An alternative world view would not serve him at this stage of life the way it did me in the first half of my life when it informed my life decisions. He would have to abandon faith-based thought and develop critical thinking skills when his mind is not as agile and plastic as it once was, and would be socially disruptive if his life revolved around a church community and friend and family that would disown him for apostasy.

Like somebody who regrets his choice of law school over engineering school. If it happens at 20 or even 30, he can make that transition. But if he tries the same thing at decide at 60, it will be much harder and for much less in return.

Same with an unhappy marriage. You can correct if you try it at 30 and maybe try again, but it will be much more life-disrupting and offer much less for the effort if you wait until you're 70.

You're 47 years old and content being a Christian, so no, I have nothing to offer you despite believing that I've found a better way to live outside of religion, but probably not better for you. At age 47, it might not even be possible for you any more (your way is not possible for me).

So, enjoy life as a Christian, praying, going to church and greeting others with God Bless, singing hymns, trying to be Christlike, and studying your Bible, while I enjoy life as a humanist, doing none of those things, finding meaning elsewhere.

Yes. Let us pray:

Blessed be the Flying Spaghetti Monster, born of extra virgin olive oil, delivered by Little Caesarian (in 30 minutes or less), cast out of the Olive Garden with the Ten Condiments, who has come for our salivation. Our Savory was killed by the Antipasto as foretold in the book of Romanos. Snagged by a giant twirling fork, He was placed on a plate and hurled onto a wall, where He stuck and dried for our sins. Cheese's Crust, how grated thou art! Blessed be Mother Marinara. May there be pizza on earth and gouda will toward men.

Hungry yet? Now we eat.

#88 It Aint Necessarily So, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Salty Booger

Salty Booger Royal Crown Cola (RC)

Ratings:
    +1,293
    Religion:
    No Preference
    It is more an understanding than a belief. I've been thinking of ways to create a ritual around it, but simply existing seems to be enough. I still retain the option to dance in the rain and laugh at the moon, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +270
    Religion:
    Christian
    So your ' good news ' is no eternal life after ? No assurance and more questions than answers to life and death ? Sounds more bleak than good news.

11. Rival

Rival Iiu em hotep.

Ratings:
    +29,022
    Religion:
    Kemetic Pagan
    If the only reason you believe in a religion is because of the promise of heaven/eternal life, then I'd say your beliefs are shallow.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +270
    Religion:
    Christian
    The point of discussion is IF its true . Not necessarily trying to establish proof and evidence necessarily here .

13. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +270
    Religion:
    Christian
    No I've not said that .

14. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +270
    Religion:
    Christian
    Again were discussing IF said religion / belief system are true ,then which one offers the best outcome, for now and after death .

15. Rival

Rival Iiu em hotep.

Ratings:
    +29,022
    Religion:
    Kemetic Pagan
    Why does it matter? What's your hangup about the afterlife?

16. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +270
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yes I agree . There are those who hold to works / conditional salvation which I do not believe is biblical . Nor ' lordship salvation ' .

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +25,745
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Pastafarianism, no doubt about it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +270
    Religion:
    Christian
    No most religions are about the after life and how to get there . So this is about which one is the better option .

19. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +270
    Religion:
    Christian
    1 cor 1.21
    Eph 1 13
    Rom 10 ,9 .10
    1 cor 15 .1-4

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +270
    Religion:
    Christian
    Is this a recognised ( legitimate) religion . I.ll regret saying that of course . Holds breath...