• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Anyone Know ...

PureX

Veteran Member
Does anyone know the real reason why the democrats insist on giving emergency economic relief money to every citizen, regardless of their actual need? Because it seems to me that the republicans have a very good point when they object to this aspect of the proposed covid aid package being presented to them. And whenever I see this issue put to ANY democratic politician, or their spokesmen on TV, they will not give a logical, reasonable, response.

Is it somehow too difficult for the IRS to determine who is in need of help? That doesn't seem likely given that they would know everyone's income level. Is it because it's not just about income levels, but also about being unemployed? Again, this does not seem to be an overwhelmingly difficult condition for the government to ascertain. They could simply set a cut off income level at say 100K, unless one is on the unemployment list. It's just not that difficult to do this, it doesn't seem to me. Also, why not increase the amount to those in need by the amount NOT being given to those who are not in need?

So why can't the democrats agree to this? Why won't they tell us why they can't? Does anyone know? Because this seem to be the the one sticking point between dems and repubs in the legislature, and it seems like it could be very reasonably resolved. So what's the problem?

(Sorry, couldn't edit the typo in the title.)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am nor American and this is right off the top of my head.
I would consider that the various us state's don't have the infrastructure or administration to investigate every person to validate need.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Does anyone know the real reason why the democrats insist on giving emergency economic relief money to every citizen, regardless of their actual need? Because it seems to me that the republicans have a very good point when they object to this aspect of the proposed covid aid package being presented to them. And whenever I see this issue put to ANY democratic politician, or their spokesmen on TV, they will not give a logical, reasonable, response.

Is it somehow too difficult for the IRS to determine who is in need of help? That doesn't seem likely given that they would know everyone's income level. Is it because it's not just about income levels, but also about being unemployed? Again, this does not seem to be an overwhelmingly difficult condition for the government to ascertain. They could simply set a cut off income level at say 100K, unless one is on the unemployment list. It's just not that difficult to do this, it doesn't seem to me. Also, why not increase the amount to those in need by the amount NOT being given to those who are not in need?

So why can't the democrats agree to this? Why won't they tell us why they can't? Does anyone know? Because this seem to be the the one sticking point between dems and repubs in the legislature, and it seems like it could be very reasonably resolved. So what's the problem?

Where are you getting the information that direct payments would go to every citizen? The last round limited payments to those under a certain income. I believe the newer proposal would be similar, though I don't think it's been written up that specifically yet.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I assume it was quick and easy, and didn't involve going over millions of tax and financial records individually, developing algorithms, &c.

There were probably campaign considerations in there somewhere, as well.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It might just be easier and quicker. And then for those who did not truly need it they can claw it back when they file their tax rerun.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

I suspect the simplest explanation is that the notion of any kind of "means test" is anathema on the left. Though I am on the left myself, this is one of those areas in which I generally disagree. It seems eminently sensible and practical to apply some sort of simple means test (likely available from records in the tax department's computers).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Does anyone know the real reason why the democrats insist on giving emergency economic relief money to every citizen, regardless of their actual need?
It's simple, it's fair, it's quick, & it avoids anyone
suffering by erroneously slipping thru the cracks.

BTW, when you create a thread, you can edit the
title using Thread Tools available to you in the OP.

Edit....
I generally don't qualify for government hand-outs
that are given widely to others, eg, Bush's stimulus
lucre. It would be nice to get on that gravy train.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Where are you getting the information that direct payments would go to every citizen? The last round limited payments to those under a certain income. I believe the newer proposal would be similar, though I don't think it's been written up that specifically yet.
Every time I see a republican object to the proposal they claim it's because the money isn't targeted. Or targeted enough. This would seem an easy and reasonable fix.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

I do not believe the relief money is given to every person. There is an income limit on the relief money.

esmith

Veteran Member
I'll give you an example how screwed up it is.
I have to take a 401k distrubtion every year
I receive military retirement pay
I and my wife receive Social Security

Now I and my wife have gotton a check from the government both times and they want to give me another?
This year I did not have to take my 401k distribution. Reason Covid-19 relief

As to @fantome profane coment "they can claw it back when they file their tax rerun". No none of the stimuls payments are taxable income, no matter what you earn
Will I Owe the IRS Tax on My Stimulus Payment?.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) sent out more than 160 million stimulus payments since the CARES Act was signed into law on March 27. Now it’s sending out millions more checks in the second round of stimulus payments. As people start to spend their money, some wonder: Is my stimulus payment taxable?

The short answer: No. In the somewhat longer words of the IRS: “No, the payment is not income and taxpayers will not owe tax on it. The payment will not reduce a taxpayer's refund or increase the amount they owe when they file their 2020 or 2021 tax return next year. A payment also will not affect income for purposes of determining eligibility for federal government assistance or benefit programs."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'll give you an example how screwed up it is.
I have to take a 401k distrubtion every year
I receive military retirement pay (51% of my base pay upon retirement plus COLA adj)
I and my wife receive Social Security

Now I and my wife have gotton a check from the government both times and they want to give me another?
This year I did not have to take my 401k distribution. Reason Covid-19 relief

As to @fantome profane coment "they can claw it back when they file their tax rerun". No none of the stimuls payments are taxable income, no matter what you earn
Will I Owe the IRS Tax on My Stimulus Payment?.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) sent out more than 160 million stimulus payments since the CARES Act was signed into law on March 27. Now it’s sending out millions more checks in the second round of stimulus payments. As people start to spend their money, some wonder: Is my stimulus payment taxable?

The short answer: No. In the somewhat longer words of the IRS: “No, the payment is not income and taxpayers will not owe tax on it. The payment will not reduce a taxpayer's refund or increase the amount they owe when they file their 2020 or 2021 tax return next year. A payment also will not affect income for purposes of determining eligibility for federal government assistance or benefit programs."
I like "The short answer: No."
There are always complexities in the tax code.
Only my CPA will know if it's taxable for me or not.

Audie

Veteran Member

I got money sent to me in Hong Kong.
I threw away the check, but I doubt many do.

But who complains that they got money?
Its a scandal that will get no traction.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

I think the IRS is too blind to make the determination. It always assumes that dependents are fully provided for, but it doesn't check to see if they are. Its not what the IRS is for. The IRS would starve you to death, because the IRS doesn't have the data necessary to determine who needs help. If you want to be considered both poor and independent by the IRS you can't live anywhere. You have to absolutely homeless, basically you're going to die and cease to be of concern. That means IRS doesn't see people who have needs. Its strictly for collecting taxes.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
After reading the OP and a sampling of the responses, I'm curious if anyone thinks this thread is about finding out why the checks went out to such a large number of people without sufficient means testing as to calm the nerves of various people.

I think if I told you, the truth would have about as much chance as a Black man before an all White Alabama jury circa 1920.

Meh, human nature.

Anyone up for talking about the Midwestern rite of passage sometimes called "a watermelon snitch"? It's off topic, but it's actually interesting. Not the tiresome same old same old in the news today.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Every time I see a republican object to the proposal they claim it's because the money isn't targeted. Or targeted enough. This would seem an easy and reasonable fix.

Surely you gotta know you need to fact check that kind of rhetoric. The money has been targeted in both round of stimulus.