• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in God?

Erebus

I don't believe in God.

God with a capital G in my view denotes one of two things. The first is the omnipotent, omniscient creator of the universe. I don't believe in that God simply because I've not encountered anything I would deem sufficient to make me believe.

The second interpretation is something more pantheistic. While my views on deities have a lot in common with pantheism, I don't deify the universe in its totality. As such, I can't claim to believe in God in that sense either (though the issue of belief is less relevant when you're dealing with this interpretation).

God also implies a monotheistic perspective to me. God is the deity, not one of many. I'm a polytheist which makes me feel that believing in God would be somewhat contradictory for me.

I will note though that I have far fewer issues with viewing Yahweh (who is often the deity people have in mind when they talk about God) as a deity of light, the sky and judgement. That perspective doesn't necessarily sit well with the vast majority of Yahweh's worshippers however.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But logically speaking, people do not determine what reality is. Reality is what it is.

So, in reality, God either exists or God does not exist, and what we believe about God has no bearing on reality.

And this is true in your reality. ;)

MNoBody

But logically speaking, people do not determine what reality is. Reality is what it is.

So, in reality, God either exists or God does not exist, and what we believe about God has no bearing on reality.
except upon the one engaging in such a reality, it will have a bearing on that one to start and then on every one that ones life touched, ripple effect wise....it is such a marvelous construction...this causality/reality :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
except upon the one engaging in such a reality, it will have a bearing on that one to start and then on every one that ones life touched, ripple effect wise....it is such a marvelous construction...this causality/reality :)
True, what we believe affects our reality and the reality of others, but our belief does not determine whether God exists or not.

God either exists or not.

MNoBody

True, what we believe affects our reality and the reality of others, but our belief does not determine whether God exists or not.

God either exists or not.
oh I wasn't going to debate that with you.:) I am 6typing impaired LOL....big fingers...so I don't type the same as I speak, would be handier than pecking these messages out in short-speak

Gargovic Malkav

In a nutshell: I believe in existence but don't believe I have full control or knowledge of it. This proves to me that there is something beyond me. This I call God.