• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do only atheists and satanists play 8 string guitars ?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was always fascinated by Scott Lucas' setup (Local H). He has a bass pickup on his Strat and plays both bass and guitar on one instrument. I saw them in concert several years back when they opened for STP and was mesmerized watching him play.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My guitar and bass
DSC_0089.JPG DSC_0087.JPG

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I'm a retired bassist who never found much use in more than 4 strings. While that rumbling B sounded good in a few songs, I couldn't justify buying one just for that.

That’s why I mentioned the Fender VI. Extended high range is much more useful in my opinion. Baritone guitars are beautiful things too.

My 8 string extends down an octave, so I can play bass lines, especially if I use an octaver.

I once had a Gibson EB3 modded, I had a luthier install a fretless fingerboard, and tuned it up a fourth, with appropriate gauge strings. I like getting outside the nine dots. It was like an electric cello.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I was always fascinated by Scott Lucas' setup (Local H). He has a bass pickup on his Strat and plays both bass and guitar on one instrument. I saw them in concert several years back when they opened for STP and was mesmerized watching him play.

I’d like to hear what he does. Any links to his music ?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Well, they probably do know me better than anyone or anything else, and without doubt get more of my time and attention than anyone or anything else, lol.

I'll make a potentially embarrassing admission - the Washburn has a name. I bought Ruby 22 years ago. She lives.
I am so grateful to myself that I persevered with music. I basically live the life of a recluse lately, which may or may not change.
Given my age, odds are it's just me and the instruments. Which is cool really. I am free to do nothing else now, and I'm loving it.
Music keeps growing if you do.

David1967

Premium Member
View attachment 33907
I just bought this.
Generally speaking, only heavy metal heads use them. And they all seem to be atheists or satanists.
And usually, they choose black.

Seven and eight string guitars are perfect for those who like to djent, with brain melting overdrive.

I bought mine to play through a Boss SY-300 guitar synth. Having five octaves of range lets me fully exploit the synth, especially because the SY-300 allows layering of its three oscillators in different frequency ranges. Plus I run a direct out to a parallel channel to mix in standard guitar tones/fx.

The fanned frets are way cool. Longer strings for lower frequencies.

I plugged and played it for the first time today. The combo is freakin’ amazing. Through a bi-amped system, 2x100 watts, a sealed cab with a 12” Infinity subwoofer, and an open-back cab with a Celestion Vintage 10.

It really is evil. :smilingimp:

I'm nowhere near a satanist, but I do love metal. The rig I'm running at present is a Laney Ironheart 120 watt tube head atop a 4-12 celestion cabinet. My main guitar is a Washburn Nuno Bettencourt signature guitar with Bill Lawrence XL500 pickups.

David1967

Premium Member
Most of us old rock and blues players can't count much higher than six on our best days....

Yeah, I figure I might try a seven or eight string once I master the six.......... which I don't see happening.o_O

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I'm nowhere near a satanist, but I do love metal. The rig I'm running at present is a Laney Ironheart 120 watt tube head atop a 4-12 celestion cabinet. My main guitar is a Washburn Nuno Bettencourt signature guitar with Bill Lawrence XL500 pickups.

You're talking my language !
As you'll see further into the thread, I also play a Nuno, Through a Laney LC15. I have a Celestion Vintage 10 in the Laney.

My favourite speaker of all time is the Celestion Vintage 30.
I have drooled over the Lionheart.

Although, the Bogner Shiva is the amp I would love to own.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yeah, I figure I might try a seven or eight string once I master the six.......... which I don't see happening.o_O
I used to insist im much more of a bassist and not that good of a guitarist, but anymore I find I'm a decent guitarist. I'm still vastly better at bass than guitar, but compitency in guitar is just a matter of practice. And mastering 6 first? Not really a logical goal. Just jump in and do it. I'd still be on a fretted bass if I held onto that attitude while I was considering fretless.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I used to insist im much more of a bassist and not that good of a guitarist, but anymore I find I'm a decent guitarist. I'm still vastly better at bass than guitar, but compitency in guitar is just a matter of practice. And mastering 6 first? Not really a logical goal. Just jump in and do it. I'd still be on a fretted bass if I held onto that attitude while I was considering fretless.

Two things revolutionised my playing.
The first was practicing yoga.
Yoga taught me how to feel and isolate specific muscle groups. One day I decided to use that skill and get right into my fingers, instead of playing from my head.
That caused me to discover that my left hand was running the show (thinking about what note to play). I challenged that, and began treating my right hand as the main focus. And that changed everything. When your picking is in perfect time. your fretting hand just relaxes and timing becomes perfect.

The second thing was being cured of Hep C after 33 years. It turns out that Hep C is also a serious brain disease. I didn't realise til I was cured with a new wonder drug that the virus had been screwing with a lot of fundamental functions, including fine motor control. The improvement was immediate and huge.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I'll make a potentially embarrassing admission - the Washburn has a name. I bought Ruby 22 years ago. She lives.
I am so grateful to myself that I persevered with music. I basically live the life of a recluse lately, which may or may not change.
Given my age, odds are it's just me and the instruments. Which is cool really. I am free to do nothing else now, and I'm loving it.
Music keeps growing if you do.

Although I have yet to name an instrument (but I have called them names at times) our bass player has names for all her basses. I have noticed those instruments get very temperamental if you forget their names...