• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do only atheists and satanists play 8 string guitars ?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Joking of course about the 7 and 8 string. I've been playing guitar in rock and metal bands for a lot of years and simply prefer the six-string tuned low.
Yeah. As bass was my first and primary inspiration, with Cliff Burton being my primary influence, if a 4-string was good enough for him, it's good enough for anyone. Dimmu Borgir does standard tuning, but extensively uses chords to sound heavier. Myself, I'm fond of playing in drop D and D drop C.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Two things revolutionised my playing.
The first was practicing yoga.
Yoga taught me how to feel and isolate specific muscle groups. One day I decided to use that skill and get right into my fingers, instead of playing from my head.
That caused me to discover that my left hand was running the show (thinking about what note to play). I challenged that, and began treating my right hand as the main focus. And that changed everything. When your picking is in perfect time. your fretting hand just relaxes and timing becomes perfect.
I might have to try that. I've never done yoga, but I've spent enough time working out and stretching to be able to isolate, feel, and move different muscle groups.

David1967

Premium Member
Yeah. As bass was my first and primary inspiration, with Cliff Burton being my primary influence, if a 4-string was good enough for him, it's good enough for anyone. Dimmu Borgir does standard tuning, but extensively uses chords to sound heavier. Myself, I'm fond of playing in drop D and D drop C.

In my current project we are tuning C standard. It's a Black Sabbath tribute project. lots of fun. I like Dimmu Borgir. Interesting music.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
View attachment 33907
I just bought this.
Generally speaking, only heavy metal heads use them. And they all seem to be atheists or satanists.
And usually, they choose black.

Seven and eight string guitars are perfect for those who like to djent, with brain melting overdrive.

I bought mine to play through a Boss SY-300 guitar synth. Having five octaves of range lets me fully exploit the synth, especially because the SY-300 allows layering of its three oscillators in different frequency ranges. Plus I run a direct out to a parallel channel to mix in standard guitar tones/fx.

The fanned frets are way cool. Longer strings for lower frequencies.

I plugged and played it for the first time today. The combo is freakin’ amazing. Through a bi-amped system, 2x100 watts, a sealed cab with a 12” Infinity subwoofer, and an open-back cab with a Celestion Vintage 10.

It really is evil. :smilingimp:
Nope, I'm (like a Satanist) a Luciferian but I play a fretless 6 str in order to get those diabolical quarter tones and unholy harmony!
upload_2019-10-30_17-4-14.png

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Nope, I'm (like a Satanist) a Luciferian but I play a fretless 6 str in order to get those diabolical quarter tones and unholy harmony!
View attachment 33950

I want one ! I have often thought about making one.
How is the tone ? I imagine it would be less bright than a standard guitar.
Who would you recommend I listen to to hear a fretless guitar at its best ?

I sometimes wish I had taken up the sarod instead of the sitar. Fretless, steel finger board, skin soundboard under the bridge, played with a coconut shell plectrum.

I heard Ali Akbar Khan play in 1972, and the memory of his playing still gives me goosebumps. At one point, during the jor stage of a raga (the third and final stage, very fast and complex) he broke a melody string. He didn't miss a beat, playing the drone and rhythm strings with one hand, while Zakir Hussein pumped up the drumming to cover him, and he removed the broken string, and replaced it with the other hand. He tuned the string with a series of perfect glissandos and carried on...I think many people didn't even notice. He was the best musician I have ever heard. Only Lakshmi Narayan Subramanium, a violinist, equalled him.

ali akbar khan.jpg

This is Ali Akbar Khan.

This second pic I can't delete because the editor is buggy.

Attachments

• sarod-one-music-Hindustani-instruments (1).jpg
    sarod-one-music-Hindustani-instruments (1).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
The only instrument I play has 230 strings. And 88 keys. No frets. :rolleyes:

I have a 100 year old piano frame leaning on my livingroom wall.

I intend to string it up and use it as a kind of analog signal processor. The idea is to use it as external sympathetic strings for any amplified instrument. I have a transducer to attach to it to,which will carry the instrument signal, causing sympathetic vibrations which will be picked up by individual pickups, one per string, which I make with small neodymium magnets.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I am exhausted and happy. Not much sleep, lol.
The 8 string/synth combo is everything I'd hoped for and more.
It's hard to find time to post now.
I'm creating lots of new patches on the SY-300 to exploit the extended range.

The guitar is a Harley Benton, which are very inexpensive. I paid just over $AUD300 including postage from Thomann in Norway. I figured, after reading reviews, to take the gamble. I am very impressed. It arrived set up, right out of the box. Perfect intonation, easy action, and quite reasonable strings. The only change I need to make is replacing the E and B strings with a heavier gauge for better response from the synth.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I want one ! I have often thought about making one.
How is the tone ? I imagine it would be less bright than a standard guitar.
Who would you recommend I listen to to hear a fretless guitar at its best ?

I sometimes wish I had taken up the sarod instead of the sitar. Fretless, steel finger board, skin soundboard under the bridge, played with a coconut shell plectrum.

I heard Ali Akbar Khan play in 1972, and the memory of his playing still gives me goosebumps. At one point, during the jor stage of a raga (the third and final stage, very fast and complex) he broke a melody string. He didn't miss a beat, playing the drone and rhythm strings with one hand, while Zakir Hussein pumped up the drumming to cover him, and he removed the broken string, and replaced it with the other hand. He tuned the string with a series of perfect glissandos and carried on...I think many people didn't even notice. He was the best musician I have ever heard. Only Lakshmi Narayan Subramanium, a violinist, equalled him.

View attachment 33952

This is Ali Akbar Khan.

This second pic I can't delete because the editor is buggy.
Famous Players using Fretless Guitar – Unfretted

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Wow,that's an impressive list.

I see that the Vigier guitar has a metal fretboard for tone. Someone else likes the sarod !

Looking at the prices of the Vigier, looks like my only option is making one. Which thought now has me by the balls... thanks !
I made mine, out of an Ibanez Artcore . . .

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In my current project we are tuning C standard. It's a Black Sabbath tribute project. lots of fun. I like Dimmu Borgir. Interesting music.
I know a couple Dethclok and Arch Enemy songs in C. That low of a tuning would have to be awesome from some Sabbath songs.