• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do I have to be a religious nut to post on RF?

What are your favorite subjects to discuss?

• Total voters

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there a limit to new threads, or is it just what some mod decides based on whatever they feel like?

All moderation decisions are based on a consensus of at least three staff members.

If we agree that the intent is to fill the new threads box with their threads and push others out, this is a Rule 4.

If the consensus is that the new threads are legitimate discussion topics, there is no limit to new threads.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I notice this place is called "Religious Forums", so what does that mean? Are we expected to be curious about other religions, and ask them questions and compare beliefs? What's the use in that? If you want to learn about a religion, why not read a book? I don't get it.

So what is the purpose of this forum?

For me, it is not to talk about religion, but rather talk about all things, with other religious peoples.

In your opinion, what is the main purpose of this forum?
What sort of things do you like to talk about? Because personally, I'm sick of talking about religion, and it seems like that's all anyone wants to do, or thinks they're supposed to do.
Religion is the great suppressor of intelligent converse about the human condition, and therefore it is important to continue to discuss religion -- if only to demonstrate its dampening effect on human progress.

In the grand march, over the last five centuries, of humanity towards a world (at least in most of the west) of real liberty for the individual, religion has been one of the most staunch opponents -- along with the traditional "ruling classes."

Therefore, for me, the purpose of venues like this is to continue the dialogue, to try to show people that the way to understand what is true and right comes from our membership in the great human family, and not from bending our knee to presumed "authority." To continually improve our perception of who and what we are -- and are not! To learn what makes us alike, and to discover the power available from encompassing our differences.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion is the great suppressor of intelligent converse about the human condition, and therefore it is important to continue to discuss religion -- if only to demonstrate its dampening effect on human progress.

So I can assume that you are casting this condemnation over all world religions?

Please provide examples of how eastern religions have had a dampening effect on human progress. I'm especially interested in your examples on how Buddhism and Vedanta has dampened progress.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Yes, if staff would refrain from posting or voting in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated.
What is it about the opinions of staff do you find more offensive than the opinions of non-staff? Surely even members who happen to play other roles in the forum have, and are entitled to, opinions of their own as individual contributors?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I notice this place is called "Religious Forums", so what does that mean? Are we expected to be curious about other religions, and ask them questions and compare beliefs? What's the use in that? If you want to learn about a religion, why not read a book? I don't get it.

I came here because I was curious about other beliefs. Deism was the main driver, actually. But I found a place I could talk about all sorts of things with all sorts of people from all over the world. I could (hopefully) educate some people about atheism, particularly around what atheism is NOT, and what a secular country is NOT. Read a bunch of books about atheism and there is a chance all you're going to get is a bunch of new atheists conflating atheism with a positive belief set.

So what is the purpose of this forum?

It's right there in the mission.

For me, it is not to talk about religion, but rather talk about all things, with other religious peoples.

Wait...you want to discuss non-religious things, but limit the discussion to religious people? Like...regardless of religion? Why?

In your opinion, what is the main purpose of this forum?
What sort of things do you like to talk about? Because personally, I'm sick of talking about religion, and it seems like that's all anyone wants to do, or thinks they're supposed to do.

I would think I talk more about non-religion than religion, but it's probably close.
But I also post on another forum which is a basketball forum. Depending on my mood, I post here, there, or both. Why not supplement your presence here with posting elsewhere? Why does this place need to service all your personal requirements for a forum?

Dude, you're entitled to your own opinion on all this, of course. I don't see why you're complaining at all though.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I felt like this was harassing and hurtful. I already reported your post from earlier, I'm hoping you don't try more intimidation.
I wasn't trying to intimidate you. I'm genuinely confused as to why you are here if you don't like it. We have pointed out to you that there are subfora for the things you want to discuss.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So I can assume that you are casting this condemnation over all world religions?

Please provide examples of how eastern religions have had a dampening effect on human progress. I'm especially interested in your examples on how Buddhism and Vedanta has dampened progress.

In retrospect, such examples would derail this thread, so if you agree, @Evangelicalhumanist, we can continue this discourse in a new thread?

Cooky

Veteran Member
What is it about the opinions of staff do you find more offensive than the opinions of non-staff? Surely even members who happen to play other roles in the forum have, and are entitled to, opinions of their own as individual contributors?

I felt like staff was being particularly possessive over their "turf' at the time I typed that. Later, Salix told me that he respected my opinions, so I think the general atmosphere is less geared toward shaming me at this point.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That actually sounds pretty good, but without the other posters being religious people, I'm afraid their perspective would not match mine. In other words, I want to have those discussions here.

So you only want to have discussions with people that agree with you? Sounds boring to me.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I wasn't trying to intimidate you. I'm genuinely confused as to why you are here if you don't like it. We have pointed out to you that there are subfora for the things you want to discuss.

You told me to "quit whining" and told me to find greener pastures. Is it that you don't like my opinions, and are trying to shut me up? Because you sure didn't seem to respect my opinion one bit, which isn't very compassionate..

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I just like respect. Is that too much to ask?

And what if you get someone who is religious, but with a very different religious perspective?

Respect isn't something you can demand. It is something you earn. At least, that's how I see it.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You told me to "quit whining" and told me to find greener pastures. Is it that you don't like my opinions, and are trying to shut me up? Because you sure didn't seem to respect my opinion one bit, which isn't very compassionate..
I meant that there are other fora out there to post on since your OP is complaining about ours. Our forum is dedicated to religious discussion and when you make a post complaining about religious discussion on a religious discussion forum it gives one the impression you don't like it here. I also pointed out the subfora you can post on that have nothing to do with religion, you are more than welcome to post there. So all in all I just don't understand what your issue is.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I am a religious person, but I have no interest in discussing religion with other people... For me, it's settled.

...What I would like to do is talk about science, art, history, and other topics with other religious and non-religious people. Where can I find a place like that?
Google it, I guess. This is the only message board I post on at the moment. Outside of this, I just use Facebook and Reddit to talk to other people.

Cooky

Veteran Member
And what if you get someone who is religious, but with a very different religious perspective?

Respect isn't something you can demand. It is something you earn. At least, that's how I see it.

I see it as a given to all, until proven undeserved. I had a previous boss that had a poster on his office wall that said almost exactly what you just posted. I always stared at that, and then looked at him, and had negative thoughts about him as a person. He was quick to fire, and actually joked about and took bets on how many people he would fire in a month.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

I haven't seen anyone trying to 'shut you up'. But, you have been complaining about this forum. It seems reasonable, if the forum doens't match your interests, to go somewhere else that does. OR, to go to forums that discuss what you want to discuss as opposed to things you don't want to discuss (but others do).

But it also seems that you don't want to be exposed to perspectives that are very different from yours. Well, this is a site that encourages people from a very wide variety of perspectives to discuss their ideas. That will inevitably include those that think your perspective is wrong (just as you will think theirs is wrong).

So, if you want only religious people who agree with your basic perspectives to discuss things not related to those perspectives, you will find the topics pretty limited. And I think that will be true pretty much anywhere you go.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I see it as a given to all, until proven undeserved. I had a previous boss that had a poster on his office wall that said almost exactly what you just posted. I always stared at that, and then looked at him, and had negative thoughts about him as a person. He was quick to fire, and actually joked about and took bets on how many people he would fire in a month.

I think there is a minimal amount of respect that is deserved simply by being human. Mostly, that respect has to do with allowing basic freedoms and asking them to stay out of my business.

But if you want respect for your opinions, you will find that you have to earn such. Because opinions are a dime a dozen and are not usually worth all that much.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Yes, I meant that there are other fora out there to post on since your OP is complaining about ours. Our forum is dedicated to religious discussion and when you make a post complaining about religious discussion on a religious discussion forum it gives one the impression you don't like it here. I also pointed out the subfora you can post on that have nothing to do with religion, you are more than welcome to post there. So all in all I just don't understand what your issue is.

Oh, I thought I was part of this forum. I didn't know it was all of yours. I guess it's okay for sunstone to create a thread like this, because he's part of the forum, but since I'm just a poster, it's different for me.