• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do I have to be a religious nut to post on RF?

What are your favorite subjects to discuss?

• Total voters

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, I thought I was part of this forum. I didn't know it was all of yours. I guess it's okay for sunstone to create a thread like this, because he's part of the forum, but since I'm just a poster, it's different for me.
It's our forum as we all post on it, I never said it's mine...

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm afraid that in an atheist dominated forum, I wont be taken seriously.

The same is true if the forum was dominated by those who disagree with you on other topics also. But guess what? People can and do disagree with you. Part of being an adult is learning to live with the fact that others disagree with you and will even ridicule your views.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
So I can assume that you are casting this condemnation over all world religions?

Please provide examples of how eastern religions have had a dampening effect on human progress. I'm especially interested in your examples on how Buddhism and Vedanta has dampened progress.
I am from the west, and I speak of what I experience. All of the Abrahamic religions are based on a presumed "faith in revealed truth." This is so very often a true stopper of reasoned thought based on empirical evidence.

But there is a real world, and it is taking shape before our very eyes. What are the Buddhism and Vedanta doing to at least recognize, if not address, climate change, the dramatic change in the employment expectations of humans as AI begins to usurp what we always thought were our sole purview? I don't know -- but I do know this: our world is changing, more rapidly and more dramatically than most people can even contemplate.

And we are not ready...and no religion I know of us helping us to get there.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, I thought I was part of this forum. I didn't know it was all of yours. I guess it's okay for sunstone to create a thread like this, because he's part of the forum, but since I'm just a poster, it's different for me.

Well, actually, it is the property of the owner of this site. They ultimately get the last say. Moderators are here to make sure the rules are enforced and understood.

Cooky

Veteran Member
The same is true if the forum was dominated by those who disagree with you on other topics also. But guess what? People can and do disagree with you. Part of being an adult is learning to live with the fact that others disagree with you and will even ridicule your views.
You're showing me the non-theist POV, which is all the more reason I dont want to go to an atheist dominated forum. I don't want to be like that.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Well, actually, it is the property of the owner of this site. They ultimately get the last say. Moderators are here to make sure the rules are enforced and understood.

So mods arent here to dictate topics? Because I remember a thread sunstone created like this a month ago, and now everything he said is reality here now... It was an open thread, I'm just clarifying the obvious. I'm sure you remember it, right?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I think civility is the required skill. One can be civil without giving respect unduly.

Civility at least garner's a positive spirit.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So mods arent here to dictate topics? Because I remember a thread sunstone created like this a month ago, and now everything he said is reality here now.

Huh? No, we don't 'dictate topics'. In general, we allow free discussion as long as it is polite, and conforms to the rules given to us by those who put ads up here (no illegal activities, no profanity in open forums, etc).

We *do* moderate when someone disrupts a thread by seriously taking it off topic when others want to stay on topic. But I'm not sure why you think that we 'dictate topics'.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I felt like staff was being particularly possessive over their "turf' at the time I typed that. Later, Salix told me that he respected my opinions, so I think the general atmosphere is less geared toward shaming me at this point.
Though I'm not staff, I certainly don't want to shame you. I try diligently to understand where people are coming from, but I find -- I think you'll agree with this -- that many are not able to articulate the reasons for the things they believe, or feel strongly about. But when you can't tell me where you're coming from, it's a bit unfair to suppose I can guess on my own.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
@Rival remembers. She stated there that she was okay with a smaller forum if it meant more religious discussion. Remember Rival?
Indeed. I think it was the one where I was annoyed at there being so many political threads mostly about Trump. Couldn't find it now though.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed. I think it was the one where I was annoyed at there being so many political threads mostly about Trump. Couldn't find it now though.

Well, being annoyed at the number of Trump (and anti-Trump) threads is hardly dictating topics.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I notice this place is called "Religious Forums", so what does that mean? Are we expected to be curious about other religions, and ask them questions and compare beliefs? What's the use in that? If you want to learn about a religion, why not read a book? I don't get it.

So what is the purpose of this forum?

For me, it is not to talk about religion, but rather talk about all things, with other religious peoples.

In your opinion, what is the main purpose of this forum?
What sort of things do you like to talk about? Because personally, I'm sick of talking about religion, and it seems like that's all anyone wants to do, or thinks they're supposed to do.
Never mind, the Skepticism here are no less (or no more) "nut"s. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The purpose of the forum is to discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another.

RF Mission Statement

I like to discuss religion are read about first person experiences. For me, much more can be learned about religion from experiences (those of others and one's own) than can be learned by simply reading a book.
"The purpose of the forum is to discuss, compare and debate religion "

The purpose of the forum is to discuss, compare and debate religion or no-religions. Right, please?

Regards

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'm an atheist. But tell me honestly what you think, why you think it, what it means to you...I'll listen. But if you just do dogma, sorry, not then I've nothing to say.

I love atheists. My favorite poster here, the old bacon eater is one, but to go to an atheist dominated forum, I would be eaten alive for being a Catholic. Don't you think so?

Cooky

Veteran Member
"The purpose of the forum is to discuss, compare and debate religion "

The purpose of the forum is to discuss, compare and debate religion or no-religions. Right, please?

Regards

Why though? I'm Catholic or bust -I have nothing to talk about religiously, unless it's about explaining the faith, for which I am well catechized. Other than that, there's nothing to talk about.