• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dinosaurs

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Technically, we can consider birds to be a branch of dinosaurs. But not all dinosaurs were birds.
One of the earliest dinosaurs:
Eoraptor:Eoraptor - Wikipedia

The last part has a number of links to other species alive at the time (late Triassic).

David T

Premium Member
Well if dinosaurs evolved from reptiles how come there are still reptiles?

17333099_1798868003773788_3104909537056915456_a.jpg
Mental or metal?

jonathan180iq

As was pointed out, some where actually pretty small, such as the velociraptor which was only about the size of a turkey (not at all even close to the size Jurassic Park depicted them). We also know that dinosaurs were not all around during the same time, and many came and went extinct even before the mass extinction that killed the rest off.
For example, homo sapiens are chronologically closer in time to the T-Rex than the T-Rex was to the Stegosaurus...

http://gizmodo.com/less-time-separates-us-from-t-rex-than-t-rex-from-stego-1614025559

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Technically, we can consider birds to be a branch of dinosaurs. But not all dinosaurs were birds.
One of the earliest dinosaurs:
Eoraptor:Eoraptor - Wikipedia

The last part has a number of links to other species alive at the time (late Triassic).
All dinosaurs that live today are birds, but not all dinosaurs in history were birds, I agree. However:

Yes, actually they were. What makes you think otherwise?
Even the 'lizard hipped' dinosaurs bear little resemblance to reptiles as is commonly used. Especially since they were warm blooded. Diapsids and pre-dinosaur lineage, as well as mosasaurs had more in common with modern reptiles than dinosaurs.

Buuuut you could also say that reptile has no taxonomic meaning and therefore reptiles is not a real scientific term to begin with, too.
There’s No Such Thing As Reptiles Any More – And Here’s Why

(Also a really fun debate is where pterasaurs fit in all this, since they don't belong to any of the aforementioned categories.)

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Well if dinosaurs evolved from reptiles how come there are still reptiles?

17333099_1798868003773788_3104909537056915456_a.jpg

It's a very good point. Most evolutionary links originally assumed in Victorian times, from superficial physical comparisons, have been debunked as the light of science has illuminated fundamental idiosyncrasies in each kind of animal.

Over a century after these assumptions were first made, many still believe that birds evolved from dinosaurs, dogs from wolves, humans from apes- as 100% unquestionable gospel. The fossil record never did fill in with this evidence as Darwin had hoped, but we've seen so many artistic impressions of the missing evidence that it can seem very real.

But even these most intuitive and widely accepted 'transitions' are being doubted in the light of new information, by proponents and skeptics of Darwinism alike.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Please cite some of that new information.
I can already tell you what you're going to get. You'll see Guy post where some scientists are advocating that group A evolved from group B, rather than group C. Then he'll try and spin that into somehow supportive of creationism.

It's a fundamentally dishonest exercise, which is why Guy then ignores everyone who points it out.

Nigel

Finally a question I can sort of answer. Dinosaurs did come from reptiles but then evolved into raptors that then evolved into KFC. Which was more popular to eat and easier to raise in coops that lizards. So that's why we didn't eat all the lizards.

Also the world was smaller then as Nibaru had not yet collided with Earth , so there was less gravity which is why Dinosaurs grew so big and now they are small. So go eat some KFC and thank god for dinosaurs.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The internet disagrees with you. They were indeed reptiles.

Dinosaur even means 'terrible reptile/lizard'. I'm not sure that is very accurate though as people still talk about them today which means they must have been pretty good at being reptiles. A terrible reptile would be something like the kawekaweau which nobody has ever heard of even though it went extinct much more recently. Especially as it can't even blame a giant meteor for losing it's place at the table of the living thus must accept sole responsibility for its failure to perpetuate its genes.

Not quite true, sure the name means terrible lizard, the name was coined in the mid 1800s. Today science can determine classification from body/bone mass. They do not fit category cold blooded, as reptiles, nor do they fit warm blooded as mammals, but varying degrees between the two, they had a physiology that does not exist today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...inosaurs-hot-cold-blooded-reveal-between.html

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's a very good point. Most evolutionary links originally assumed in Victorian times, from superficial physical comparisons, have been debunked as the light of science has illuminated fundamental idiosyncrasies in each kind of animal.

Over a century after these assumptions were first made, many still believe that birds evolved from dinosaurs, dogs from wolves, humans from apes- as 100% unquestionable gospel. The fossil record never did fill in with this evidence as Darwin had hoped, but we've seen so many artistic impressions of the missing evidence that it can seem very real.

But even these most intuitive and widely accepted 'transitions' are being doubted in the light of new information, by proponents and skeptics of Darwinism alike.

I would be interested to see some of this new information. Please provide a link

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
That these classic evolutionary transitions imagined over 100 years ago- are not scientifically supported- is not all that 'new' now, or even controversial, outside of a small bubble of pop-science it seems

and pretty easy to find with your own search if you are curious about the state of the research , but here's a couple for you, these were quick searches but I don't believe any of them are from creation or ID scientists, (who figured this out long before the Darwinists did)

Study challenges bird-from-dinosaur theory of evolution – was it the other way around? | News and Research Communications | Oregon State University

CORVALLIS, Ore. – A new study just published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences provides yet more evidence that birds did not descend from ground-dwelling theropod dinosaurs, experts say, and continues to challenge decades of accepted theories about the evolution of flight.

No Single Missing Link Between Birds and Dinosaurs, Study Finds

No Single Missing Link Between Birds and Dinosaurs, Study Finds

Dogs are not Domesticated Wolves | Accumulating Glitches | Learn Science at Scitable

Dogs are not Domesticated Wolves

www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/faq/cat02.html
Humans did not evolve from monkeys. Humans are more closely related to modern apes than to monkeys, but we didn't evolve from apes, either.

Last edited: