• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
It refers to God.
I don't care one way or the other. My point was simply that the little pun about Jesus' divinity based on ego eimi doesn't work in Hebrew - only in Greek. As for the authors claiming Jesus is "God" I personally don't doubt that's the way it comes out in "John". Through the lens of theism, I think it's an utterly nonsensical statement, but I appreciate that some people think it actually means something. Aside from its mystical implications, claims for the divinity of Jesus filtered through theism seem inescapably idolatrous and nonsensical to me. But hey, that's just me (and maybe a few others).

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Again you're jumping elsewhere, but how difficult is it to read this:
Revelation is symbolic.

Then you failed to "prove" your point. You can't show, using your scripture, that Yeshua is "God" because by your logic...."Revelation is symbolic"......

The main question the OP raised has been answered. "Did Jesus say he was God?"....NO. Nowhere in your scripture did he ever say such a thing.

Mark2020

Then you...
lol
At last you saw it!
Words like 'coming', 'ho on', 'first and last', 'pierced', ... are clear.
Many themes, like the ones you mentioned, are symbolic.
I've already given two examples, you ignored the one and and refused the other.

(Matthew 13:13 [NIV])
This is why I speak to them in parables: "Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand. 14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: " 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. 15 For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.'

doppelganger

No, I hope God opens everybody's eyes and touches their hearts, me included.
Ah, okay, you officially speak for God then and think it's your business to decide whether I have the right truth or not when you don't even know me.

This is why I find Christianity in its mainstream forms to be usually disrespectful, blasphemous and obnoxious. Though I appreciate you think your intentions are good, you make your religion seem repugnant to me.

doppelganger

My friend did you read my post well?
Did you see this : "me included"
Yes I did. And the rest of your post and your need to tell me that you feel "sad" for me when you don't even know me, what I think or why it works for me, shows you don't believe that to be the case. Compounding your blasphemy with a little dishonest double-speak.

Mark2020

doppelgänger;2588366 said:
Yes I did. And the rest of your post and your need to tell me that you feel "sad" for me when you don't even know me, what I think or why it works for me, shows you don't believe that to be the case. Compounding your blasphemy with a little dishonest double-speak.
I don't like getting into meaningless discussions, so this is going to by my last reply to you.
I didn't say I'm sad for you. You either misunderstood, or I didn't put it in the right words.
Anyway, if I offended you, I apologize.
Peace

doppelganger

I didn't say I'm sad for you. You either misunderstood, or I didn't put it in the right words.
Anyway, if I offended you, I apologize.
Peace
I've had a great many very negative experiences with family members who act this way - all of whom were Evangelical Christians who allowed their religious views to pollute their relationships. I have little or no patience for it any more. I'm genuinely glad that your beliefs make you feel fulfilled, happy, etc. even though they don't work for me, that doesn't change that I know they work for you right now. My request for a "deal" was simply that you show me the same courtesy. If you really had any humility about your faith, the easy answer to my question was "yes."

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
lol
At last you saw it!
Words like 'coming', 'ho on', 'first and last', 'pierced', ... are clear.
Many themes, like the ones you mentioned, are symbolic.
I've already given two examples, you ignored the one and and refused the other.

Oh please....I addressed your supposed understanding of 1:7 and 1:8. You don't even know who John is talking about in those verses. I showed them to you. 1:8 says "God" is coming. Not Yeshua. Both are mentioned separately throughout chapters 1-5. I showed this to you.....

1:7 ends with (amen) and (yes) it is referring to Yeshua but 1:8 is referring to "God". (see. Codex Sinaiticus) also see (rev. 4:8). Remember, 4:8 is referring to "God" on the throne and not Yeshua (the Lamb) who's standing. Shucks, step back to 1:6 and John reveals that Yeshua has a god ("and made us a kingdom, priests to his god....."). You spouting out "symbolic" does not address why John seems to believe Yeshua has a god or why he would quotes Yeshua explicitly stating he has a god (Rev. 3:12).

:facepalm:

Mark2020

Oh please....

You look like you have a poor short term memory asking the same questions and repeating the same arguments that I already answered over and over again.
Read my previous replies before asking the same questions again.
Your argument that 'Amen' has to end someone's speech is just another funny argument. I'll give you a hint. Can you spot the word 'Amen' that doesn't come at the end of someone's speech:

(Revelation 1:7-8 [NIV])

Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen.
I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

Two interesting points here, let's examine the underlined words:
1-"who is to come":
From Revelation 1:7 (shown above), the one who is coming was pierced, which is Jesus Christ.
(Revelation 22:20 [NIV]) He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.
(Matthew 16:27 [NIV]) For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done.

2-"who is":
Check this verse in Greek:
(Revelation 1:8 [TR])
εγω ειμι το α και το ω αρχη και τελος λεγει ο κυριος ο ων και ο ην και ο ερχομενος ο παντοκρατωρ

"who is"
in Greek is"ο ων" (or the Being)
ων is from the verb εἰμί (to be):
verb, present, active, participle, singular, nominative, masculine

Where else do we see "ο ων" without predicate?

(Exodus 3:13-14 [NIV]) Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

In Greek:
(Exodus 3:14 [LXX]) και ειπεν ο θεος προς μωυσην εγω ειμι ο ων και ειπεν ουτως ερεις τοις υιοις ισραηλ ο ων απεσταλκεν με προς υμας

Given 1 and 2
Then Jesus
is God

Another (given by javajo) in a previous post here:

(Revelation 1:17-18 [NIV])
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. and have the keys of hell and of death.

Checking the underlined words:
1-I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever!:
This is Jesus since he says he was dead.

2-
I am the First and the Last:
(Isaiah 44:6 [NIV]) This is what the LORD says-- Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.

Again, given 1 and 2
Then Jesus is God.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
You look like you have a poor short term memory asking the same questions and repeating the same arguments that I already answered over and over again.

I saw your answers which is why the debate continues.

Read my previous replies before asking the same questions again.

I read them. The reasoning was circular. No need to read the reasoning again.

Your argument that 'Amen' has to end someone's speech is just another funny argument.

Never did I say it "has to end". :rolleyes: