• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depressed? Or know someone who is?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Can someone give me advice to give her? I have tried quite a lot.
As the Stormy one said, your friend needs counseling and that IS the best advice you can give her. Her need for counseling can be gauged by her vehemence to the idea itself.

Moonstone

inactive
What makes you think getting rid of depression is as easy as working out and eating your food groups? Depression is a medical condition, and when people talk about it they really need to differentiate between having a chemical imbalance, and being sad because something happened. Not trying to insult those who are situationally depressed, but those things you mentioned in the OP don't cure an imbalance. Finding things that make you happy, and taking care of your body do help the symptoms of depression, but it doesn't cure it.

And, I find myself quite level-headed, and thinking clearly, and I think a lot of people here would agree. My thought process is somewhat abnormal, but not foggy.
While I agree with what MaddLlama said, I think it was very thoughtful of you to post this. Thank you.
-Princess Dot

Last edited:

croak

Trickster
Psych Central can be a fantastic springboard for learning more about psychology, mental illness, and the like.

On the topic of self-harm, that is a serious issue, and she needs to see someone about it as soon as possible. Perhaps she might get upset if bring up that boy; say that you're worried about her hurting herself, and it can't hurt to talk to someone about it. Try not to come off as attacking him. I don't know; bottom line is she needs to see a counsellor, at the very least.

I now realize that the post is a few months old. xD Did she end up seeing somebody?

As for the thread itself, I think the OP made some valid points. But really, it depends on the depression: it's not one-size-fits-all. For major depression (which goes by many different names), they would possibly be part of a therapy regimen, in addition to medication. If someone's feeling down (which differs from depression), this would likely help them out of that rough spot.

Depression can't really be summarized in a few words.

WARTORIOUS said:
I would also like to point out that when you are depressed you're not thinking strait, although it seems you are. But trust me you won't be.
I took that as listening to negative thoughts, destructive thoughts, and the like, and maybe believing them, acting upon them.... I wouldn't say depressed people are in some sort of hallucinatory daze or the like, but I don't think that's what was meant. I'm assuming, obviously.

The Great Architect said:
That's right; well said. Depression isn't something that one can just 'snap out of' at will, and it should be treated as seriously as schizophrenia, or bipolar disorder, or any other mental illness. It's a chemical imbalance of the brain.
Depression is not always a result of a chemical imbalance; as I stated before, it can't really be summarized in a few words. It is a very broad disorder; maybe a little too broad.

Quote from Psych Central:
Most clinicians practicing today believe that depression is caused by an equal combination of biological (including genetics), social, and psychological factors. A treatment approach that focuses exclusively on one of these factors is not likely to be as beneficial as a treatment approach that addresses both psychological and biological aspects (through, for example, psychotherapy and medication). Depression remains a complicated, complex disorder and researchers are only beginning to fully grasp the multitude of factors — personal, genetic, biological, societal, and environmental — that are involved. Any explanation or approach which emphasizes only one factor as the cause of depression is misleading and simplistic. Individuals should avoid accepting a simplistic answer to such a devastating and complex disorder.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend WARTOTIUS,

Depressed? Or know someone who is?
10 ways to be and stay happy
Some of the more common symptoms of depression are:

Yes, surely what you state are correct but however they are still at the superficial level and one has to go to his own core to effectively change the pattern of the MIND such that the MIND itself drops.

The symptoms of depressions are all rooted in the MIND and unless the root causes are handled and put in their right place the same will continue.

Meditation is the only positive response that brings about any permanent change from being a negative persona to a positive human being.

Love & rgds

Snowber

Friend WARTOTIUS,

Yes, surely what you state are correct but however they are still at the superficial level and one has to go to his own core to effectively change the pattern of the MIND such that the MIND itself drops.

The symptoms of depressions are all rooted in the MIND and unless the root causes are handled and put in their right place the same will continue.

Meditation is the only positive response that brings about any permanent change from being a negative persona to a positive human being.

Love & rgds

Meditation is indeed a great remedy to many problems no matter what faith you may be. We live in a society where we're moving way too fast. We don't stop to actually enjoy life anymore, it's work, then school, then sleep.

Having recently diagnosed "myself" as being anxious/slightly depressed I came upon something called the "Linden Method". I think the method gives good tips of distracting oneself from unconscious thoughts that surface based on past experiences, effectively "reprogramming" those subconscious thoughts and overriding your mind to, instead, think of something that makes you happy.

I think it has helped slightly but more than anything it give me courage to overcome anxiety GOD willing.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend snowber,

During school days or even now never faced such problems where one's mind gets depressed as the mind itself is never given the liberty to go under such a state.
However besides that am glad that you are practicing something to elevate your mind conditon.
Once anyone understands what meditation is then it is not a question of how, where, when as it is possible at all times even while attending a class; besides it is something that will evolve a being to greater heights.

The choice is yours.
Love & rgds

Xafwak

XFWK
I was once depressed for a few months. I was fortunate that it wasn´t too deep, I could cope with it. I learnt that clinging to at least a few happy activities works as a pre-emptive method for depression, but I doubt it cures it.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I personally have dealt with depression for most of my life. I haven't been suicidal in years, thankfully. I found that keeping myself engaged in life, my music (my depression has actually helped me compose some very passionate pieces of music for both piano and guitar), helps me keep my mind and emotions in a positive state. Of course, I still have my down days. Also, my personal metaphysical philosophy helps to keep me positive, balanced, and instead of fearing the future, I look forward to it.

I can't really explain it, but there seems to be something within me that keeps me driven and goal oriented. Perhaps it is what I and others call the "Black Flame".

Xeper em Ma'at.
/Adramelek\

Snowber

Friend snowber,

During school days or even now never faced such problems where one's mind gets depressed as the mind itself is never given the liberty to go under such a state.
However besides that am glad that you are practicing something to elevate your mind conditon.
Once anyone understands what meditation is then it is not a question of how, where, when as it is possible at all times even while attending a class; besides it is something that will evolve a being to greater heights.

The choice is yours.
Love & rgds

I've been reading the Linden Method and listening to a couple of the exercises. The tips are very good, I also found a blog someone wrote following it if you're interested:

Anxiety/Depression Log

The system introduces a "9 Pillar System". If anything, knowing that people have been helped by the system and that there "IS!" a way to get rid of depression anxiety is encouragement enough to keep someone going . Distraction seems to be a big part of it all: Distract your mind by getting rid of BAD habits by teaching your unconscious to think otherwise.

................................................................................................

To everyone:

I'd like to hear about you've been battling depression/anxiety with and what TRUTHFULLY has worked. Be very interesting to get real world solutions.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
[/CODE]I'd like to hear about you've been battling depression/anxiety with and what TRUTHFULLY has worked. Be very interesting to get real world solutions.

I have found that meditation helps when I'm in a depressed state. Sometimes I light a black candle and sit before my altar and meditate upon the Sense of Self and of Set in the solitude of darkness. This helps me gain a sense of inspiration.

Also, learning a new piece of music on the piano or guitar, or working on one of my own compositions keeps me inspired.

Also, a Xanax once in a while never hurts. I just don't like taking drugs though.

/Adramelek\

Snowber

I have found that meditation helps when I'm in a depressed state. Sometimes I light a black candle and sit before my altar and meditate upon the Sense of Self and of Set in the solitude of darkness. This helps me gain a sense of inspiration.

Also, learning a new piece of music on the piano or guitar, or working on one of my own compositions keeps me inspired.

Also, a Xanax once in a while never hurts. I just don't like taking drugs though.

/Adramelek\

Interesting. You know I had a friend whose mother died and he was depressed and taking Prozac for a while but he's finally kicked it, active and doing well. I think reading the Linden Method is worth a shot, especially since it is a medicine-free system that teaches you to "train" your subconscious habits.

In the UK and USA one of the biggest problems facing the general population is depression. You would think this would affect poor country’s, like Russia and Africa, middle east. However Russia has some of the lowest levels in the world. If your extremely depressed seek help, otherwise there are some tips you can follow to get yourself back on track. I would have to say the best was of getting out of depression is good hard exercise. Doing exercise stimulates the release of endorphins in the brain that gives you a natural high. And helps increase serotonin levels in the brain. Yes you can become addicted to exercise, do it for 2 weeks every day and you will you will not only be fitter and happier but it will be much easer to keep going, you will miss it if you stop.

10 ways to be and stay happy

1. Make a list of things that make you happy. Focusing on what makes us happy has a way of, well... making us happy!
2. Keep things in perspective. Think back to other times that you felt this down - did they always warrant such a strong reaction? This is not to beat yourself up about the past, but to realize that you have and can again survive situations that you thought were too much too handle.
3. Imagine yourself smiling. Smiling sends an internal message that all is well. Go ahead -- What have you got to lose, a bad mood?
4. Be here now! Take small steps. If, for example, your mood may brighten just by stepping outside routine, and reaching for a small spontaneous moment. Here's a hint: Start small. Watch puppies, kittens and small children. Watch...and learn.
5. Release anger, envy & resentment! This are self-destructive. We hold them, intending to throw them at someone, but they never really leave us.
6. Forgive! Forgiveness is something we do as much for our own healing as for that of the other. It is NOT acceptance of abuse or permission for an action, but a release of an act's affect on you.
7. Let go and laugh. When you feel negativity building, seek out the things that make you laugh - a funny movie, a joke, a favorite website, a goofy friend -or plan a "mood music get together" with friends: Score each other one point for thinking up true 'Feel-Good' songs. (e.g. "I Feel Good"--James Brown).
8. Write Thank You notes! Keep a journal of all the people and things you are thankful for. This is especially helpful on rough days. Why not take five minutes and contribute to someone else's happiness? You will like yourself better for doing it which is, by the way, one of the true secrets to happiness!
9. Avoid depression triggers. If there are unhealthy people or places in your life, consider decreasing their role. You'll find that the better you feel about yourself, the more naturally this will occur: If you treat yourself well, you won't settle for anyone that doesn't.
10. Shake that body! Exercise is a great way to avoid or alleviate depressive symptoms. The body and mind are strongly connected, and neglecting either will have negative consequences. You may want to join an aerobics class where you can meet new people or take up yoga or meditation.

Some of the more common symptoms of depression are:

• Changes in sleep habits such as insomnia, early morning awakening, or sleeping too much.
• Changes in eating habits such as loss of appetite or weight gain.
• Decreased energy, feeling of fatigue.
• Restlessness and irritability.
• Difficulty in concentration, remembering, and making decisions.
• Feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, guilt or worthlessness.
• Persistent sad, anxious, or empty feelings.
• Loss of interest in pleasurable activities, such as involvement with loved ones or hobbies.
• Thoughts of death or suicide.
(to fulfill the diagnostic criteria for major depressive episode (in other words to receive an official diagnosis of depression), five (or more) of these symptoms have to be present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning. At least one of the symptoms must be either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest or pleasure (DSM-IV, 1996).)

Thanks to Psychology Today: Health, Help, Happiness + Find a Therapist for there input.

I would also like to point out that when you are depressed you're not thinking strait, although it seems you are. But trust me you won't be.

Always remember people are more forgiving and understanding than you think, and talking to people openly is extremely important always. All you need to do is exercise everyday for 2 weeks, laugh, have someone to talk to, eat healthy food, don’t spend too much time on your own and you should be fine.

And if you are really depressed then please, talk to people, a GP or a doctor. :)
Thanks for posting this... I really needed it.

Starsoul

Truth
thanks. She also has started having reaally creepy nightmares ever since the first dump. I told her about the thing where you control your dreams (Whats that again?) but it didnt work. she has hardly slept in a very long time.
I have a method that works.
But I'm not sure if she's going to practice it, but incase she really wants to get rid of the dreams, she can give it a try. Its really simple though.

Starsoul

Truth
......snip...
But anyways. My personal fix was affirming my faith as a christian. I can tell you the night I accepted Christ, my depressjion was gone the VERY next day. Symptoms and all. I know alot of you are going to try to debunk this, but its true. Hopefully it can help someone.

I totally agree. Religion really really helps cure depression, but when its in the initial stages. For someone who's gone near mad, there are few ways to turn around.

It is said that satan is mad and depressed and nothing makes him more happy when man looses hope from God and satan is delighted when man gives up all hope.

Could there be a correlation between religion-less ness and depression? There is an ever growing risk of depression in the US, Uk Australia, Japan,and all highly developed countries.(ok im starting a new thread :D)

Its a wonder really why people of the poorer countries don't appear as significantly depressed in such huge numbers?

Cartoon77

Always remember people are more forgiving and understanding than you think, and talking to people openly is extremely important always. All you need to do is exercise everyday for 2 weeks, laugh, have someone to talk to, eat healthy food, don’t spend too much time on your own and you should be fine.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Unless you're actually, clinically depressed, in which case that just doesn't cut it.

TurkeyOnRye

Unless you're actually, clinically depressed, in which case that just doesn't cut it.

True. Though clinical depression is a pretty open definition, as cases can vary pretty significantly in terms of intensity and emphasis. Maybe "deeply rooted" depression would be more accurate? In such cases, yes, that kind of thing is simply not going to work well. In my understanding, such superficial changes are only cushions for the depression and relapse becomes inevitable.

I know from my own experience that such suggestions by others often made me want to slap them. :p Fortunately for me, I've had excellent luck in the past and indeed present in digging up the root bulbs that propagated some pretty intense episodes. And almost every time I've made 'real' progress, it was out of my own intuitive action, not overgeneralized suggestions by others.

Last edited:

crimsonlung

What makes you think getting rid of depression is as easy as working out and eating your food groups? Depression is a medical condition, and when people talk about it they really need to differentiate between having a chemical imbalance, and being sad because something happened. Not trying to insult those who are situationally depressed, but those things you mentioned in the OP don't cure an imbalance. Finding things that make you happy, and taking care of your body do help the symptoms of depression, but it doesn't cure it.

And, I find myself quite level-headed, and thinking clearly, and I think a lot of people here would agree. My thought process is somewhat abnormal, but not foggy.

Well, if this were true, then why aren't you taking medication to cure the chemical imbalance?