• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depressed? Or know someone who is?

prashantkochar1

Meditation, yoga and pranayama are the best ways to deal with stress or depression. Stress is like a slow poison which kills your body. So, learn the art of meditation and yoga from a true master. Master is like a scientist and only a true master can help you to select a right meditation technique for you.

As Anandmurti Gurumaa rightly puts in...
gurumaa.com/meditation-techniques.php

Mind is always restless, always in a state of flux. It is difficult for us to sit in the silent mode, to be in a relaxed state of mind. What to say about meditation, even simple relaxation is difficult. We need to undergo catharsis to remove all the repressions, all the emotional clouds, all the useless chattering that goes on in the mind. When we achieve this state, we’ll be able to relax totally.

Well the important thing to understand here is that there are several varieties of depression. Clinical depression is a state of mind which, by definition, does not respond significantly to outside stimuli. It can be a persistant, nagging depression which won't go away regardless of what lifestyle changes you decide to enact. The severity of the depression varies from person to person, and what helps some might not help others.

That being said, not all depressions are alike. Taking the OP's advice may have a significant effect on your state of mind and at the very least it is worth a try. I especially recommend exercise, as it has been shown to be more effective than SSRIs (a class of antidepressant) in treating certain types of depression.

Atypical depression is a depression which responds to outside stimuli such as good and bad events. Typically they manifest as regular cycles of depression and normalcy, with each phase lasting anywhere from a week to months depending on the person and his/her surroundings. The OP's advice will likely do a good job of snapping a person out of such a depression.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Wartorious,
That was about the WEST.
In the EAST they had devised PRANAYAMA or deep breathing technique which not only helps getting rid of all psychological, neurological problems but also one becomes healthy psysically and mentally even your weight becomes normal.
So by doing just one thing you benefit all round besides with serious practice one can be enlightened too.
Love & rgds

Venice

My boyfriend and I are (work-related stress). Thanks for sharing this. It's nice and inspiring. Very nice. I'll share this with him.

i have never been depressed, however, i think it safe to assume that if i were, reading such a thread as this would do nothing but insult and enrage me on a personal level.... if it were that easy to get out of, don't ya' think i would've done it? :sarcastic
I would not be offended or enraged if someone was offering help...

Some of the more common symptoms of depression are:

• Changes in sleep habits such as insomnia, early morning awakening, or sleeping too much.
• Changes in eating habits such as loss of appetite or weight gain.
• Decreased energy, feeling of fatigue.
• Restlessness and irritability.
• Difficulty in concentration, remembering, and making decisions.
• Feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, guilt or worthlessness.
• Persistent sad, anxious, or empty feelings.
• Loss of interest in pleasurable activities, such as involvement with loved ones or hobbies.
• Thoughts of death or suicide.

odd i have 5 of the symtoms but i'm not depressed, i'm pretty much a ray of sunshine, (i don't have the underlined one's)

ps
another good trick is looking at the sky more, especialy at dawn or dusk

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
i have never been depressed, however, i think it safe to assume that if i were, reading such a thread as this would do nothing but insult and enrage me on a personal level.... if it were that easy to get out of, don't ya' think i would've done it? :sarcastic

What makes you think getting rid of depression is as easy as working out and eating your food groups? Depression is a medical condition, and when people talk about it they really need to differentiate between having a chemical imbalance, and being sad because something happened. Not trying to insult those who are situationally depressed, but those things you mentioned in the OP don't cure an imbalance. Finding things that make you happy, and taking care of your body do help the symptoms of depression, but it doesn't cure it.

And, I find myself quite level-headed, and thinking clearly, and I think a lot of people here would agree. My thought process is somewhat abnormal, but not foggy.
QFT.

This is an old thread, but since it got bumped, I'll respond anyway.

The OP shows a remarkable ignorance of clinical depression. It's not something you can just snap out of. "Help" of this kind only serves to exacerbate depression by making the sufferer feel like a failure for not being able to do it.

I for one hope nobody who struggles with clinical depression takes this to heart.

shortfade2

I know a girl who is two years older than me and a boy who broke up with her twice (his intentions were not very good) caused her to slice up her left arm, and right leg. The second time was in early June, and she claims that she still loves him. He just said that he still has feelings for her, and this will be a continual downward spiral until she goes to college. Can someone give me advice to give her? I have tried quite a lot.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
That's a rough situation, shortfade. I'll think on it a bit and try to come up with something.

shortfade2

thanks. She also has started haveing reaally creepy nightmares ever since the first dump. I told her about the thing where you control your dreams (Whats that again?) but it didnt work. she has hardly slept in a very long time.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Nonetheless, it's what she needs. Self-mutilation is addictive, and she obviously has other issues that need to be addressed.

shortfade2

definitely. It makes it a little tougher in that over text would be just wrong, and she can kick the crap out of me :-D