• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depressed? Or know someone who is?

WARTORIOUS

In the UK and USA one of the biggest problems facing the general population is depression. You would think this would affect poor country’s, like Russia and Africa, middle east. However Russia has some of the lowest levels in the world. If your extremely depressed seek help, otherwise there are some tips you can follow to get yourself back on track. I would have to say the best was of getting out of depression is good hard exercise. Doing exercise stimulates the release of endorphins in the brain that gives you a natural high. And helps increase serotonin levels in the brain. Yes you can become addicted to exercise, do it for 2 weeks every day and you will you will not only be fitter and happier but it will be much easer to keep going, you will miss it if you stop.

10 ways to be and stay happy

1. Make a list of things that make you happy. Focusing on what makes us happy has a way of, well... making us happy!
2. Keep things in perspective. Think back to other times that you felt this down - did they always warrant such a strong reaction? This is not to beat yourself up about the past, but to realize that you have and can again survive situations that you thought were too much too handle.
3. Imagine yourself smiling. Smiling sends an internal message that all is well. Go ahead -- What have you got to lose, a bad mood?
4. Be here now! Take small steps. If, for example, your mood may brighten just by stepping outside routine, and reaching for a small spontaneous moment. Here's a hint: Start small. Watch puppies, kittens and small children. Watch...and learn.
5. Release anger, envy & resentment! This are self-destructive. We hold them, intending to throw them at someone, but they never really leave us.
6. Forgive! Forgiveness is something we do as much for our own healing as for that of the other. It is NOT acceptance of abuse or permission for an action, but a release of an act's affect on you.
7. Let go and laugh. When you feel negativity building, seek out the things that make you laugh - a funny movie, a joke, a favorite website, a goofy friend -or plan a "mood music get together" with friends: Score each other one point for thinking up true 'Feel-Good' songs. (e.g. "I Feel Good"--James Brown).
8. Write Thank You notes! Keep a journal of all the people and things you are thankful for. This is especially helpful on rough days. Why not take five minutes and contribute to someone else's happiness? You will like yourself better for doing it which is, by the way, one of the true secrets to happiness!
9. Avoid depression triggers. If there are unhealthy people or places in your life, consider decreasing their role. You'll find that the better you feel about yourself, the more naturally this will occur: If you treat yourself well, you won't settle for anyone that doesn't.
10. Shake that body! Exercise is a great way to avoid or alleviate depressive symptoms. The body and mind are strongly connected, and neglecting either will have negative consequences. You may want to join an aerobics class where you can meet new people or take up yoga or meditation.

Some of the more common symptoms of depression are:

• Changes in sleep habits such as insomnia, early morning awakening, or sleeping too much.
• Changes in eating habits such as loss of appetite or weight gain.
• Decreased energy, feeling of fatigue.
• Restlessness and irritability.
• Difficulty in concentration, remembering, and making decisions.
• Feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, guilt or worthlessness.
• Persistent sad, anxious, or empty feelings.
• Loss of interest in pleasurable activities, such as involvement with loved ones or hobbies.
• Thoughts of death or suicide.
(to fulfill the diagnostic criteria for major depressive episode (in other words to receive an official diagnosis of depression), five (or more) of these symptoms have to be present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning. At least one of the symptoms must be either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest or pleasure (DSM-IV, 1996).)

Thanks to http://psychologytoday.com for there input.

I would also like to point out that when you are depressed you're not thinking strait, although it seems you are. But trust me you won't be.

Always remember people are more forgiving and understanding than you think, and talking to people openly is extremely important always. All you need to do is exercise everyday for 2 weeks, laugh, have someone to talk to, eat healthy food, don’t spend too much time on your own and you should be fine.

And if you are really depressed then please, talk to people, a GP or a doctor. :)

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
WARTORIOUS said:
I would also like to point out that when you are depressed you're not thinking strait, although it seems you are. But trust me you won't be.

Depression does not in all situations affect one's levelheadedness.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Tigress said:
Depression does not in all situations affect one's levelheadedness.

Do you mind if I ask if you suffer from depression ? If so, how do you cope ? (please PM me if you would prefer to keep your thoughts off the public forum.):)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i have never been depressed, however, i think it safe to assume that if i were, reading such a thread as this would do nothing but insult and enrage me on a personal level.... if it were that easy to get out of, don't ya' think i would've done it? :sarcastic

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
What makes you think getting rid of depression is as easy as working out and eating your food groups? Depression is a medical condition, and when people talk about it they really need to differentiate between having a chemical imbalance, and being sad because something happened. Not trying to insult those who are situationally depressed, but those things you mentioned in the OP don't cure an imbalance. Finding things that make you happy, and taking care of your body do help the symptoms of depression, but it doesn't cure it.

And, I find myself quite level-headed, and thinking clearly, and I think a lot of people here would agree. My thought process is somewhat abnormal, but not foggy.

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
While it's not for everyone, cognitive-behavioral therapy is statistically one of the most effective treatments available. It helped me. The Feeling Better Handbook by David Burns can be helpful. A therapist with this approach is even better, and this method is not the multi-year type that is popularized in movies. I think I went for a total of about 15-20 visits or so (one every week or two), and I was completely better by the end.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Tigress said:
No, I don't mind.--Yes, I have clinical depression.

One moment at a time.

One moment at a time.

Snap. But don't you find yourself focussing so hard on the dread of looming 'events' such as sociable occasions (Christmans, birthdays) is one of the hardest things to cope with ?

I have to Go to my Son's graduation at the end of this month; of course, I am so proud of him..........but, I have the "30th" like a weight around my neck.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
michel said:
Snap. But don't you find yourself focussing so hard on the dread of looming 'events' such as sociable occasions (Christmans, birthdays) is one of the hardest things to cope with ?

I have to Go to my Son's graduation at the end of this month; of course, I am so proud of him..........but, I have the "30th" like a weight around my neck.

I do find social situations difficult and a graduation would definitely be one I would find myself dwelling on, as large crowds of people and I do not mix. Sometimes I find sharing my anxiety with a trusted family member or friend helps me to cope, and on the day(s) in question, if possible, I see to it that said person is there with me.--I hope you are able to attend your grandson's graduation and enjoy it. If you like, I will say a prayer for you.

Blessings,
Crystal

What makes you think getting rid of depression is as easy as working out and eating your food groups? Depression is a medical condition, and when people talk about it they really need to differentiate between having a chemical imbalance, and being sad because something happened.
Because a lot of times thats what it takes. I know this will probably insult someone, and I am very sorry if it does, I have no intention of targeting anyone ont he site. But if you look at America and the UK are the most obese countries in the world. They also have the highest rate of depression. You see a correlation? It very well could be because people aren't excersizing and aren't eating their veggies.
But anyways. My personal fix was affirming my faith as a christian. I can tell you the night I accepted Christ, my depressjion was gone the VERY next day. Symptoms and all. I know alot of you are going to try to debunk this, but its true. Hopefully it can help someone.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
What works for one person isn't always the solution for everyone else. Religion didn't cure my depression, and physical exercise is good for physically feeling better, but not mentally.
You can make a correlation like that with a lot of things and depression. It doesn't mean that just ONE of those things is the reason, or even that any of them are.

turk179

I smell something....
Here is some basic information about the correlation between exercise and depression. You can find more info pretty much anywhere on the web. WebMD has some good info. I am not here to debate. From experience I hate to see people fall completely onto the prescription drug remedy.

In addition to the numerous treatments for depression, exercise has become an appealing new alternative to alter one’s mood. Many recent studies have been published supporting the belief that exercise has been proven effective in improving depression and in some cases has been able to prevent it all together.
The basic reasoning behind this theory is that exercising has positive effects on one’s body and mind. In support of the psychological benefits, it is argued that exercising increases one’s self-confidence as well as provides a feeling of accomplishment and mastery, which in turn may raise an individual’s overall outlook. By compiling the findings from fifty-one different studies, Spence JC found that a small but notable increase in self-esteem was linked to the lowering of depression. In addition to the increase in self-esteem, exercise can also provide a more grounded perspective on life. By participating in group exercise the individual is placed in an environment where it is more likely that he will interact with others. The interaction in itself offers a therapeutic affect for those who are so depressed that they choose not to even get out of bed.
But even more convincing to some is the biological argument that supports the link between exercising and improved depression. Currently researchers are studying the various ways the mind alters one’s mood, placing much of their focus on the brain’s neurotransmitters. The two most highly publicized neurotransmitters are beta-endorphins and serotonin. Beta-endorphins are part of the mood regulating chemicals that reduces pain and can even induce euphoria. In fact, it is even now believed that the increase in beta-endorphins when exercising is the true cause of the euphoric state, "runner’s high". However, there are little scientific findings to prove that beta-endorphin has a positive effect on depression.
Serotonin, nonetheless, is another chemical in the brain that has been successfully linked to mood. In particular, it is responsible for the availability of neurotransmitters at receptor sites. For the brain to maintain a stabilized mood, it must have balanced levels of serotonin. In cases of manic depression, the cause most often stems from either a lack of serotonin in the brain or inefficiency among the serotonin receptors, Most doctors have relied on drugs such as tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) and specific serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) to monitor the levels of serotonin in the brain. However as more studies are being performed on exercise and depression, scientists are hypothesizing that exercise may raise serotonin levels enough so as to help those suffering from depression, an alternative which is inexpensive as well as beneficial for the entire body.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Silicon Hero said:
That's why I wasn't referring to any religion. I was referring to christianity.

Hey, that counts as religion. And I went that way for a while. I came out worse off and more depressed than I was before.

Like I said, what works for one person doesn't work for everyone else. Just like exercise. I make it a point to work out at least 4 times a week since I'm trying to loose weight. I don't feel any less depressed. There really just isn't one single universal cure for depression. Even medication doesn't work for some people.

The Great Architect

I have had clinical depression, since my mid-teens. I have 'learned to cope' from day-to-day, with a mixture of counselling and antidepressants. Also, with music, writing, laughter, family, and friends. But one is never completely free of the beast. I have learned to appreciate the good things in life more, because I have seen the bad.

At some points, I was close to ending it -- but it was never physically possible.

I thank God, also, for helping me to feel the gift of being alive.

Hope

Princesinha
But anyways. My personal fix was affirming my faith as a christian. I can tell you the night I accepted Christ, my depressjion was gone the VERY next day. Symptoms and all. I know alot of you are going to try to debunk this, but its true. Hopefully it can help someone.

You are probably the exception, and not the rule----though I am very happy for you, that Christ healed you. I know of many Christians who suffer from depression (and I include myself---though mine is more situational and not clinical because it comes and goes). Christ doesn't promise to deliver us from all afflictions----He simply promises that His grace will be sufficient. He does heal some people, but not all.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have clinical depression and I know that it is a medical condition caused by chemicals of the body being unbalanced. I take medicine for it and it works great. You wouldn't tell a person with cancer to try and heal him or herself.

The Great Architect

I have clinical depression and I know that it is a medical condition caused by chemicals of the body being unbalanced. I take medicine for it and it works great. You wouldn't tell a person with cancer to try and heal him or herself.
That's right; well said. Depression isn't something that one can just 'snap out of' at will, and it should be treated as seriously as schizophrenia, or bipolar disorder, or any other mental illness. It's a chemical imbalance of the brain.

(I feel a bit pompous using 'one' all the time:rolleyes:, but I do like to speak correctly, and write correctly.)