• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Declining Religious Population In US

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
It seems that religion in the United States is on the decline:

ChangingReligiousLandscapeCharts-04-1012x1024.jpg

Do you think that this is a positive, or a negative change? Me, I would have to say positive. But since I'm an atheist, that's probably a bit biased.

Rational Agnostic

Do you think that this is a positive, or a negative change? Me, I would have to say positive. But since I'm an atheist, that's probably a bit biased.

Positive change for sure. Hope the trend continues.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll be more interested when the assessment of what "religious" means expands beyond the tired Western/Abrahamic slant to more deeply examine what is really going on.

I mean, I could be one of those people who jumps on the "no religion" bandwagon. I could be one of those people who conflates religion with authoritarianism, dogmatism, or all other assorted nasty things. But I don't, and I won't. And I see the transition as indicative in a shift in how Americans are religious, not in a decline in religiosity. I somehow doubt my peoples have stopped asking big, existential questions and finding meaningful answers to them. I don't see any indication of that in atheists (who often identify as non-religious) nor in the "spiritual but not religious" crowd.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Positive but only because it seems more people are thinking for themselves and not relying on the word of others.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As a non-dual Hindu believer raised Catholic I also find this a positive. In fact I think these surveys are too crude in that I think they define religion as being a member/believer in some organized official institution. I see very little interest in such things in modern Americans.

In this quickly becoming post-Abrahamic modern western world, the more interesting question is what 'DO' people believe as opposed to just not being members of society's traditional organizations.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I somehow doubt my peoples have stopped asking big, existential questions and finding meaningful answers to them.
But that isn't necessarily anything about religion. I myself would call it "philosophy."

Then I have to note that finding "meaningful" answers isn't necessarily equated with finding "true" answers. I suppose that one might be satisfied, having found something that seems to answer your own personal need when facing the big, existential questions, but for myself, I'd prefer to have some confidence that my answers have at least a reasonable hope of being reflective of reality, rather than just making me happy.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
For myself, a decrease in religiosity is a good thing, since I am of the opinion that, while religion does seem to provide many people with a lot of comfort, and a lot of meaning, those things can also be found in the consolations of philosophy. And in the meantime, I can point to any amount of real evil brought into this world solely by religious beliefs.

(Anyone would be right to point out that this is also true of many philosophies -- the philosophy inspired by Karl Marx, for example. And yet, I ascribe that to the same thing as for religions -- the assumption that such philosophies must be accepted dogmatically. No philosophy should ever be turned into dogma, since all philosophy is, at the end, personal.)

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
For myself, a decrease in religiosity is a good thing, since I am of the opinion that, while religion does seem to provide many people with a lot of comfort, and a lot of meaning, those things can also be found in the consolations of philosophy. And in the meantime, I can point to any amount of real evil brought into this world solely by religious beliefs.

(Anyone would be right to point out that this is also true of many philosophies -- the philosophy inspired by Karl Marx, for example. And yet, I ascribe that to the same thing as for religions -- the assumption that such philosophies must be accepted dogmatically. No philosophy should ever be turned into dogma, since all philosophy is, at the end, personal.)
That was a very well-written post. Why have I never seen you before?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I somehow doubt my peoples have stopped asking big, existential questions and finding meaningful answers to them.

I see it that way as well.

In this quickly becoming post-Abrahamic modern western world, the more interesting question is what 'DO' people believe as opposed to just not being members of society's traditional organizations.

Some surveys do ask that. From what I've seen the belief in God remains strong as does the belief that there's something beyond the purely material.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Some surveys do ask that. From what I've seen the belief in God remains strong as does the belief that there's something beyond the purely material.
I am glad to hear that personally.

I get the feeling that when the atheist-materialist crowd sees these surveys they are too quick to interpret them as 'hooray for our side'.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you think that this is a positive, or a negative change?

I staunchly believe the evidence presented in the OP, along with much more evidence found elsewhere, strongly suggests religion is on the decline in America, and that this is because more and more Americans are asking the tough questions and then thinking for themselves to reach their answers.

Hah! Hah! Hah! Americans? Thinking for themselves? Hah! Hah! Hah! Sometimes I slay myself!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Positive but only because it seems more people are thinking for themselves and not relying on the word of others.

I don't know if that is true. Just because they no longer are following a "religious" ideology doesn't mean they are not following some other crazy ideology.

InChrist

Free4ever
I don't think religion is going anywhere, except through surface changes. The church on the other hand, those who make-up the body of Christ, will most likely not be around too much longer.

Jumi

I see the progress, decline or what ever you might call it as largely irrelevant.

It could also be said that those numbers are also the work of folks who promote ideas that are irrelevant to people of today in name of religion.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am glad to hear that personally.

I get the feeling that when the atheist-materialist crowd sees these surveys they are too quick to interpret them as 'hooray for our side'.
As an atheist materialist, I agree. There s a definite trend of vocally insular and judgemental 'more logical than thou' atheist materialist groups and it's sad to see.

Substance dualism may not make sense for me but I don't look down on others or their intelligence or open mindedness who do. If people would treat theological and philosophical positions less like sports teams they need to win other people to, we'd probably be better off.

Jumi

I don't think religion is going anywhere, except through surface changes. The church on the other hand, those who make-up the body of Christ, will most likely not be around too much longer.
Or perhaps that church is not going anywhere or even declining, but institutions that forgot to promote the message and lead people into the kingdom of God. Perhaps they didn't even have the message, as it's said.. the truth will set you free. Did that freedom equate with the structures built...?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It shows people are getting realistic about things. It's kind of unbelievable that today with so much discovery in technology and science that an applicable religious belief in nonsensical mythology persists on even yet.