• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Rather on Right-Wing hypocrisy

Curious George

Veteran Member
Next time Mr. Cruz or his ilk shows up at a school I’m sure there will be plenty of time to get that warrant.
The threats came before Mr. Cruz showed up at the school correct? That law enforcement failed to follow up on credible threats does not change the fact that the statement made was anti-American.

That needs to be accepted. We are talking about acting without due process. You cannot escape that fact.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Irony....
Had Hillary won, then she would've been the only President to annihilate an entire country (Iran).
Republicans & Democrats aren't that different.

I think it's time for the US to move to a multi-party / coalition political system.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The New York Times (who has no love lost for Trump) reports the South Korea’s President credit Trump for North Korea’s starting the talks. I believe he knows more about it than you.

South Korea’s Leader Credits Trump for North Korea Talks
Appeal to authority doesn’t impress and Trump just taking credit doesn’t work either. Just show what Trump did or said other than his twitter battles. If you think it’s the sanctions, then just say that. Fact is this is not the first and will not be the last time North Korea has talked about working on sanctions and nueclear weapons since 2003 so this is hardly anything new. Like I said, and I will say it again, id like to see the president talk to Kim outside of Twitter or it’s just the same old different year.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It is incontrovertible. She’s has testified to committing acts which the FBI confirmed met the criteria of breaking the law. Yet she was not charged because her friend a Comey ' with Obama’s consent covered for her.
Oh god. She violated department policy, which was shifting during her tenure, yup. But there’s no evidence she violated any laws which is why no charges were brought. And if you look at the historical precedent, the vast majority of similar violations are not charged, unless there are aggravating features, like lying to the FBI or malicious handling of the data.

Furthermore, you stated that there was incontrovertible evidence of gross crimes. Mishandling email is a gross crime? That’s the best you could find after decades of false allegations? I think you’re proving my point.

And then we come to your last sentence: more incontrovertible evidence of the deep seated need to twist reality to conform to your pre-set beliefs. Yet another conspiracy theory: No charges were brought because Comey was her friend! Never mind that Comey is a lifelong Republican hired by Republicans. Never mind that he took the unusual step of disparaging someone the FBI was not going to charge. Never mind that a coverup would require the entire FBI and DOJ to be complicit— you really think that if charges were so obviously required that no one would pipe up? Never mind that all the legal analysis points to the fact that such cases aren’t brought up for charges.

The sad fact is that Clinton’s political opponents did their job incredibly well. A large chunk of Americans will always believe that Clinton is guilty of something despite no evidence to back it up. Their belief is insulated from fact and reality.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I’m sure the >400,000 casualties and 6,000,000 refugees of that will take comfort that you don’t blame Obama for his part in that war or all the air strikes he authorized. Shall we ask them if they think he is innocent?
Ah, yes. The casualities of the Syrian Civil War are Obama’s fault. How could I have forgotten? :rolleyes:

If anything, the Syrians blame the US for not providing greater military aid.

Shaul

Premium Member
The threats came before Mr. Cruz showed up at the school correct? That law enforcement failed to follow up on credible threats does not change the fact that the statement made was anti-American.

That needs to be accepted. We are talking about acting without due process. You cannot escape that fact.
And Trump was specifically addressing times when law enforcement failed to preemptively go to court AND an individual was posing an immediate bone fide threat of bodily harm. Precisely like Mr. Cruz’s case. All Trump was saying was that such cases become police matter and the the guns should be immediately confiscated. This is standard police procedure and not in anyway a violation of due process. You want to take Trump’s words out of context and spin it so he wants to willy nilly go around confiscating guns. He never said that nor meant that. Since he didn’t say what you claim he said he didn’t say something un-American.

Shaul

Premium Member
Ah, yes. The casualities of the Syrian Civil War are Obama’s fault. How could I have forgotten? :rolleyes:

If anything, the Syrians blame the US for not providing greater military aid.
Yes, because those rascally Syrians ordered those US planes to drop all those bombs killing people, right? No, wait, that was Obama.

Curious George

Veteran Member
And Trump was specifically addressing times when law enforcement failed to preemptively go to court AND an individual was posing an immediate bone fide threat of bodily harm. Precisely like Mr. Cruz’s case. All Trump was saying was that such cases become police matter and the the guns should be immediately confiscated. This is standard police procedure and not in anyway a violation of due process. You want to take Trump’s words out of context and spin it so he wants to willy nilly go around confiscating guns. He never said that nor meant that. Since he didn’t say what you claim he said he didn’t say something un-American.
I am twisting nothing. Trump said what he said. It was more than just un-American it was anti-American.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Yes, because those rascally Syrians ordered those US planes to drop all those bombs killing people, right? No, wait, that was Obama.
You really seem to have very little understanding of the Syrian Civil War. I provided a wiki on it a couple posts back. Please educate yourself. To act as if Obama is the cause of it, or the source of the grave humanitarian issues arising from it, is a clearly warped characterization.

Obama did offer some military support, including air strikes and some training. This was particularly in response to Ashad’s regime using chemical weapons against civilians, a serious war crime. Additionally, ISIS was taking advantage of the chaos to consolidate control. Russia, meanwhile, chose to back Assad, to reassert political clout in the region. In the face of this, Obama’s actions were minimal and exceedingly restrained. It is frankly baffling that you are blaming Obama for the deaths and refugees of a large, messy civil war in which we had very minimal involvement.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
And for years people have been screaming for the U.S. to not get involved in Middle East conflicts, damned if you do damned if you don't I guess.
Microsoft Word - Costs of War through 2016 FINAL final v2.docx
Couldn't the U.S. use this money at home?
I completely agree: damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

The appetite for foreign entanglements, especially in the intractable Middle East, is very low. We are sick of spending precious blood and money on problems that only seem to worsen. I agree: that money could be better spent on our own land and people.

But on the other hand, our inaction allows grave injustice and humanitarian crises to flourish unchecked. We become complicit, like in the Rawandan genocide. By removing ourselves from the role of world police, other powers are only too happy to take over, and so the US loses power and prestige.

I would not want to be the one making these impossible decisions.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I completely agree: damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

The appetite for foreign entanglements, especially in the intractable Middle East, is very low. We are sick of spending precious blood and money on problems that only seem to worsen. I agree: that money could be better spent on our own land and people.

But on the other hand, our inaction allows grave injustice and humanitarian crises to flourish unchecked. We become complicit, like in the Rawandan genocide. By removing ourselves from the role of world police, other powers are only too happy to take over, and so the US loses power and prestige.

I would not want to be the one making these impossible decisions.

It starts by being honest about the differences between Western values and Islamic values. We will never solve these problems as long as we pretend these two value systems are compatible.

Shaul

Premium Member
Oh god. She violated department policy, which was shifting during her tenure, yup. But there’s no evidence she violated any laws which is why no charges were brought. And if you look at the historical precedent, the vast majority of similar violations are not charged, unless there are aggravating features, like lying to the FBI or malicious handling of the data.

Furthermore, you stated that there was incontrovertible evidence of gross crimes. Mishandling email is a gross crime? That’s the best you could find after decades of false allegations? I think you’re proving my point.

And then we come to your last sentence: more incontrovertible evidence of the deep seated need to twist reality to conform to your pre-set beliefs. Yet another conspiracy theory: No charges were brought because Comey was her friend! Never mind that Comey is a lifelong Republican hired by Republicans. Never mind that he took the unusual step of disparaging someone the FBI was not going to charge. Never mind that a coverup would require the entire FBI and DOJ to be complicit— you really think that if charges were so obviously required that no one would pipe up? Never mind that all the legal analysis points to the fact that such cases aren’t brought up for charges.

The sad fact is that Clinton’s political opponents did their job incredibly well. A large chunk of Americans will always believe that Clinton is guilty of something despite no evidence to back it up. Their belief is insulated from fact and reality.
She didn’t “violate department policy”, she caused top secret classified material to be compromised. That is a crime. It is irrelevant that other SoS also used personal servers, though none did quite like she did. That is an attempt at misdirection. She was responsible for compromising classified material. That is a crime. Comey’s memo concedes she allowed top secret classified material to be compromised, yet covered for her even though he concluded it was a crime. Because compromising classified material is a very serious felony crime which people go to prison for. Hillary should have sought her day in court, if she is innocent, to clear her name. Instead she used political influence to skate hoping it wouldn’t hurt her election, after which she could bury the facts. The facts that she compromised top secret materials. Classified material, not “some emails”. Now Hillary will remain under a cloud. Most Americans don’t trust her, think she is dishonest, and frankly don’t like her. Sure some people admire her, her kool aid drinkers. But like? No, not really. And it shows. She lost not one but two Presidential bids. One to a political novice in Obama, and one to a political outsider in Trump. But more importantly she lied and attempted to bury the fact that she compromised classified material. Only once the evidence came out did she admit, she had compromised top secret classified material, which is a felony crime. She did that.

Did I mention she compromised top secret classified material which is a crime?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
She didn’t “violate department policy”, she caused top secret classified material to be compromised. That is a crime. It is irrelevant that other SoS also used personal servers, though none did quite like she did. The is misdirection. She was responsible for compromising classified material. That is a crime. Comey’s memo concedes she allowed top secret classified material to be compromised, yet covered for her even though he concluded it was a crime. Because compromising classified material is a very serious crime which people go to prison for. Hillary should have sought her day in court, if she is innocent, to clear her name. Instead she used political influence to skate hoping it wouldn’t hurt her election, after which she could bury the facts. The facts that she compromised top secret materials. Classified material, not “some emails”. Now Hillary will remain under a cloud. Most Americans don’t trust her, think she is dishonest, and frankly don’t like her. Sure some people admire her, her kool aid drinkers. But like? No, not really. And it shows. She lost not one but two Presidential bids. One to a political novice in Obama, and one to a political outsider in Trump. But more importantly she lied and attempted to bury the fact that she compromised classified material. Only once the evidence came out did she admit, she had compromised top secret classified material, which is a felony crime. She did that.

Did I mention she compromised top secret classified material which is a crime?
Did that make you feel better?

If she did violate a specific law, then there is nothing stopping the current DOJ from bringing charges.

But, like Comey said, no prosecutor would bring such a case, because it would be laughed out of court.

From my recollection, the laws are rather broad, and are generally only invoked when there are aggravating circumstances, which were absent here. Notably, some of the classified material originated from other, insecure servers, and none of those people are being prosecuted either.

But hey, keep spinning those wheels and believing in deep state Comey protecting Clinton if it floats your boat.

Shaul

Premium Member
You really seem to have very little understanding of the Syrian Civil War. I provided a wiki on it a couple posts back. Please educate yourself. To act as if Obama is the cause of it, or the source of the grave humanitarian issues arising from it, is a clearly warped characterization.

Obama did offer some military support, including air strikes and some training. This was particularly in response to Ashad’s regime using chemical weapons against civilians, a serious war crime. Additionally, ISIS was taking advantage of the chaos to consolidate control. Russia, meanwhile, chose to back Assad, to reassert political clout in the region. In the face of this, Obama’s actions were minimal and exceedingly restrained. It is frankly baffling that you are blaming Obama for the deaths and refugees of a large, messy civil war in which we had very minimal involvement.
Did that make you feel better?

If she did violate a specific law, then there is nothing stopping the current DOJ from bringing charges.

But, like Comey said, no prosecutor would bring such a case, because it would be laughed out of court.

From my recollection, the laws are rather broad, and are generally only invoked when there are aggravating circumstances, which were absent here. Notably, some of the classified material originated from other, insecure servers, and none of those people are being prosecuted either.

But hey, keep spinning those wheels and believing in deep state Comey protecting Clinton if it floats your boat.
Keep drinking Clinton kool aid. You just can’t unequivocally admit the fact. Hillary Clinton committed the compromising of top secret classified material, a major crime.

Shaul

Premium Member

If you read my posts with better comprehension you will see that I don’t blame him for the entire Syrian war, just his part, which plenty bad enough. So, yeah, I don’t need a lecture about the Syrian civil war from someone that doesn’t even comprehend what I wrote.