• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

could you survive in the wild?

do you possess the skills, knowledge and tools to survive in the wild?

• yes

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • no

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
A few days perhaps. I've done quite a bit of wild camping, hiking, mountaineering - caving as well, but I doubt I could survive for too long. Never felt the need to learn any of the skills necessary, even though I've probably watched all the TV programmes featuring those who can do so. :eek:

It's the food mainly - knowing what to eat and what to leave - and the lack of beer! :p

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm 72 but camped most of my life dating back to my mid-teens, so my answer is "yes". When we camped, we had no t.v., no radio, no heat or a.c., no phones, etc. We were our only entertainment. Even when we lose power now, it phases us not-- we just slip back right into our camping mode.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A few days perhaps. I've done quite a bit of wild camping, hiking, mountaineering - caving as well, but I doubt I could survive for too long. Never felt the need to learn any of the skills necessary, even though I've probably watched all the TV programmes featuring those who can do so. :eek:

It's the food mainly - knowing what to eat and what to leave - and the lack of beer! :p
And I just discovered that Michiganistan has no bacon trees or chocolate bushes!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
And I just discovered that Michiganistan has no bacon trees or chocolate bushes!

Nooooo! That's simply terrible. Actually I might be being a little modest since I have cooked a pigeon (Scout test), could probably filter water, and do know how to make a bow-drill, but as said, it's all those nasty plants that look just so tasty - mmmmmh, yum,yum - eeek!

Daemon Sophic

I had to vote “No”.
While I have the knowledge and the equipment to live in most non-extreme (arctic) conditions. I have been an insulin-dependent diabetic since age 12.
Once that runs out, I’d be dead in a week. :eek: :(

Go civilization!! :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Same here.
But I have learned to use both the microwave & the sink.
That's more advanced than at least one guy I know who relied on his "happy little housewife" (sick) for everything and started starving when she got sick.

Nous

Premium Member
Sure, as long as there is good phone and internet service, and delivery by Amazon and a good Chinese restaurant.

I've often thought of those hardy Europeans who first came to North America with provisions to last a year, skilled technicians, and all manner of raw materials, etc. These were not people accustomed to a cushy lifestyle. Yet in the wilderness of North America they starved in droves in a few months.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Sure, as long as there is good phone and internet service, and delivery by Amazon and a good Chinese restaurant.

I've often thought of those hardy Europeans who first came to North America with provisions to last a year, skilled technicians, and all manner of raw materials, etc. These were not people accustomed to a cushy lifestyle. Yet in the wilderness of North America they starved in droves in a few months.

Actually lack of skill and knowledge wasn't the reason they didn't fare well at first; but that's another thread.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Actually lack of skill and knowledge wasn't the reason they didn't fare well at first; but that's another thread.
And that varied between New England and the South - a very interesting historical topic but I agree that's for another thread.