• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concern about Atheism

Would you say that Atheists proselytize? Meaning, try to convert people over to being Atheists?

What the hell? How does one get converted into an atheist? Are you insecure about your beliefs or the strength of theistic convictions that this would concern you?

Tristesse

Atheism is a broad based brush.

Some atheists are all for reason. They will freely admit, without evidence one way or the other, they cannot commit to a belief a deity does exist, and they cannot commit to a belief that a deity doesn't exist. These atheists carry a belief, there isn't enough evidence to supply a credible answer. It is a belief pattern.

Other atheists are not so reasonable. These are the mirror image to the theists, creationist. They are beyond reason and for which reason I have dubbed them the extremist irrationalist. Their belief is, Deities do not exist, and have never existed, and is just a figment of a persons imagination. To this endeavour they point to their evidence of Evolution, physics and selected choices as it pertains to psychology and other brain related sciences. They cling to anything, so long as it proves their belief pattern right. It is a belief pattern.

Atheism is a belief pattern like any other.

I'm not sure any of that made sense. The term atheism is not a set of beliefs, this is by definition. Most atheists do tend to believe similar things, but the term alone is not a system.

footprints

Would you say that Atheists proselytize? Meaning, try to convert people over to being Atheists?

Some do, as many atheists in this forum testify to. They will argue black and blue to get there point of view across. Dawkins is on record as saying it is his wish to convert all people who read the God Delusion to his faith of belief.

Many other atheists though are reasonable people, and just like to hear what others believe in, without needing or wanting to change them at all.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Well I've seen those that call themselves "Anti-Theists" try to get Theists to give up Theism by insulting our intelligence, etc. Is this not missionizing in the most brutal way? Suga Cubez you're getting way too defensive hun, I'm just asking questions.

Tristesse

Well I've seen those that call themselves "Anti-Theists" try to get Theists to give up Theism by insulting our intelligence, etc. Is this not missionizing in the most brutal way? Suga Cubez you're getting way too defensive hun, I'm just asking questions.

I'll admit, that I would prefer that people embrace reality, and give up there beliefs for good reasons, but I would never impose my beliefs on anyone.

Rainbow Mage

Can Atheists prove that no god existing is the reality though? I've had experiences with god. To me Theism cannot really be disproven, it is reality.

I'm not sure any of that made sense. The term atheism is not a set of beliefs, this is by definition. Most atheists do tend to believe similar things, but the term alone is not a system.

I agree here. The word "atheism" only exists as an "-ism" in English and other languages with the -ism suffix.

In other languages, such as the other one I speak, there is no single word for an "atheist." In my other language you would have to literally say: "Person who does not believe in god." Which accurately described what this persons belief or lack of belief is. In this context a "person who does not believe in god" is not a memeplex or set of beliefs. It just states a certain mindset of a person.

Last edited:

dogsgod

Some atheists are all for reason. They will freely admit, without evidence one way or the other, they cannot commit to a belief a deity does exist, and they cannot commit to a belief that a deity doesn't exist. These atheists carry a belief, there isn't enough evidence to supply a credible answer. It is a belief pattern.

Other atheists are not so reasonable. These are the mirror image to the theists, creationist. They are beyond reason and for which reason I have dubbed them the extremist irrationalist. Their belief is, Deities do not exist, and have never existed, and is just a figment of a persons imagination. To this endeavour they point to their evidence of Evolution, physics and selected choices as it pertains to psychology and other brain related sciences. They cling to anything, so long as it proves their belief pattern right. It is a belief pattern.

I doubt it.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es

Do you have a PayPal account? I'd be more than happy to send you some money so you could take an introductory philosophy class. I'm sure there's a community college near you.

Can Atheists prove that no god existing is the reality though? I've had experiences with god. To me Theism cannot really be disproven, it is reality.

Besides you there are about 7 BILLION other people on this planet. Just because Yosef had some experience of a god, does not mean what god you experienced is real to the other 7 BILLION.

Rainbow Mage

suga cubez I did not say it was. suga cubez you need to stop being so defensive. All I'm trying to do is have a conversation. I would never expect anyone to accept my personal experiences as proof for god.

Tristesse

No, they can't. Just like they can't prove that leprechauns don't exist or that magical pixies don't exist. But the burden of proof is on the person making the claim, not the person disbelieving the claim. If you've had "experiences" and you attribute them to god, then you might be justified in believing.

footprints

The beliefs of atheism are as varied in beliefs as the beliefs of any religous are. About the only thing most agree on, is the postion that they cannot believe in a deity. Of course what they believe pertaining to a deity, is broken down into the reasonable and unreasonable groups I have listed above. The same as the breakdown between a theist and a creationist.

Birds of a feather flock together.

The human brain is incapable of holding knowledge and supporting that knowledge without believing in it to a greater or lesser degree (faith). A lack of belief, is a ridiculous postion, speculated by some people of atheistic beliefs, in an attempt to try and make themselves somehow different to people of spiritual beliefs.

The term atheist was first mooted as a put down, a godless person not fit for the society they lived in. This was later changed by the french from memory.

Last edited:
suga cubez I did not say it was. suga cubez you need to stop being so defensive. All I'm trying to do is have a conversation. I would never expect anyone to accept my personal experiences as proof for god.

If you were given the liberty and time it took you to come into your "experiences" with gods such that you ended up believing in gods because of your experiences; wouldn't you give others (atheists) their freedom and liberty to come to such experiences on their own time... however long?

Rainbow Mage

I did not say I wouldn't. I think that you're so defensive right now you're interpreting everything I say wrong. I don't have a problem with Atheists, if I did, I'd suggest that we jail them all or something.

footprints

No, they can't. Just like they can't prove that leprechauns don't exist or that magical pixies don't exist. But the burden of proof is on the person making the claim, not the person disbelieving the claim. If you've had "experiences" and you attribute them to god, then you might be justified in believing.

A person who disbelieves a claim, is making a counter claim. They need to support their claim that it is warranted to hold a position of disbelief, and that it is not just arrogance and ignorance they are standing on to support their own belief.

dogsgod

A person who disbelieves a claim, is making a counter claim. They need to support their claim that it is warranted to hold a position of disbelief, and that it is not just arrogance and ignorance they are standing on to support their own belief.
A claim that is not supported by evidence can be reasonably dismissed without evidence.

Tristesse

No, I'm not making a claim about the existence of something, I'm disbelieving the claim. I'm not making a counter claim, I'm saying whats your justification for that belief, and if they can't provide a sufficient justification than disbelief of that claim is warranted. I would be making a claim if I said I know a god doesn't exist. Than I would have to justify that statement, but thats not what I'm saying.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
The world is what it is today. All the good and bad and morals are created by man for man. This proves that man is mostly good if he wasn't none of the laws we have would be. If everyone was atheist or any thing the portions would still be the same you would not have less murders and more saints or visa versa.

Lastly the world will never be 100% anything so it really doesn't matter.