• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concern about Atheism

footprints

Yes, but America's secular society happens to be built on the notion that a government can go to far, and it would be immoral. America was founded with certain notions about morals even if it is secular. What would happen in an atheistic government where morals are subjective? Would another holocaust be subjectively evil? How about population control? How about mass oppression? Would these all be subjectively immoral, so the government can do as it pleases?

In any society where freethinking is allowed, there will be different views. Ask pretty much anybody you meet, and they will give you an answer on how to fix the problems up. These answers are as varied as grains of sand on a beach.

Pol Pot was extreme atheism. Can it happen again?...... Yes it can.

Extremist Muslims and Extremist Westerners are still fighting in Afghanistan, will war ever come to an end and the atrocities it carries with it? ...... Not unless we as a species change our ways. The Atheist you are talking about, have provided no portfolio of how they intend on changing human nature, their one basic answer which is beyond reason, is to abolish religions.

Tristesse

But what if a person doesn't believe atheism? What if we really believe there is a god? Would we be forced to keep our expressions of that belief in secret?

Well, atheism isn't really an ism. And it's not a belief system, it's just an answer to a single question. And I'm an atheist and I'm all for people believing whatever they want so long as it doesn't interfere with other people or myself. And how could you possibly keep someone from believing something? Beliefs are not controlled by your will. I can't will myself into belief.

Well what else should I title it?

The title infers that there is something about Atheists/Atheism which "concerns" you. So in this thread you try to paint the picture that Atheists are immoral and need gods to be good people... or that people without gods are incapable of intelligently governing themselves.

dogsgod

Well, atheism isn't really an ism. And it's not a belief system, it's just an answer to a single question. And I'm an atheist and I'm all for people believing whatever they want so long as it doesn't interfere with other people or myself. And how could you possibly keep someone from believing something? Beliefs are not controlled by your will. I can't will myself into belief.
Atheism means without theism, so in that sense it's an ism. Sorry to nitpick.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I am not trying to paint atheists any which way. I like many atheists and have atheist friends. I guess I just made a bad choice in picking the title.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
But what if a person doesn't believe atheism? What if we really believe there is a god? Would we be forced to keep our expressions of that belief in secret?
Why would this be the case? In this thread you've ascribed a whole host of attributes to atheism when atheism means very little by itself. Even something as vague as a secular society has so much room for differing opinions any attempt to ask "what would a secular society look like" would be answered with dozens- hell, hundreds- of different interpretations.

Simply put, an atheist society would reflect the social and political attitudes of that particular society. Am I assuming too much in thinking your OP was more along the lines of "how can morality exist without theism(s)"?

dogsgod

A lot of countries now have secular Constitutions in that their laws are religiously neutral, at least in theory, not always in practice. Within these countries their Constitutions supposedly protect them from religious and non religious discrimination.

Well if you're not an atheist obviously you'd have questions/concerns?

And those concerns are based on preconceived notions/opinions/convictions of Atheists/atheism, which you are projecting into your posts in this thread.

Why don't you do us a favor and just tell us how you think theists are great and atheists are wrong and incapable of intelligently living their lives without the guidance of gods.

Last edited:

Tristesse

Well if you're not an atheist obviously you'd have questions/concerns?

Why? living in a society thats mostly atheistic and someone is religious would be the equivalent of a society where most people are religious and I'm an atheist. It's actually the society we live in now.

footprints

Atheism is a broad based brush.

Some atheists are all for reason. They will freely admit, without evidence one way or the other, they cannot commit to a belief a deity does exist, and they cannot commit to a belief that a deity doesn't exist. These atheists carry a belief, there isn't enough evidence to supply a credible answer. It is a belief pattern.

Other atheists are not so reasonable. These are the mirror image to the theists, creationist. They are beyond reason and for which reason I have dubbed them the extremist irrationalist. Their belief is, Deities do not exist, and have never existed, and is just a figment of a persons imagination. To this endeavour they point to their evidence of Evolution, physics and selected choices as it pertains to psychology and other brain related sciences. They cling to anything, so long as it proves their belief pattern right. It is a belief pattern.

Atheism is a belief pattern like any other.

Rainbow Mage

Would you say that Atheists proselytize? Meaning, try to convert people over to being Atheists?

Rainbow Mage

suga cubez why are you being so defensive? LOL. I implied nothing of the sort. Maybe you should go meditate until you calm down.