• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Common Sense Deactivated?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The herbal remedies that exist in nature have largely been lost due to medical science introducing their artificial chemically based drugs. These herbs are completely compatible with our bodies. The ancients knew about herbalism. Cannabis for example has receptors in every part of the human body and has been shown to be a great healer and pain reliever. Since pain is the body's warning system, it stands to reason that not all pain is bad, so I don't believe that it will disappear altogether in the new world. I don't have that kind of view of physical perfection. The results of Adamic imperfection will be removed so that there will not be any "natural" causes of death, but we will still be mortal. Jesus lived a perfect life in the flesh, but he was not so different from his siblings that they immediately accepted him as Messiah. He was just their older brother. They did not become believers until after his death and resurrection.
We also have opioid receptors in our brains, spinal cord, and digestive tract. Something to think about.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Try to keep up Sapiens...we have covered all that in depth already. Your comment is a little late....sorry.
consoling2.gif
Yup, there was little purpose in reading your thread and pointing that out was, in fact, redundant. But ... redundant or not it was still correct ... Comfort is intellectually deluded and your advocacy of his views speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Um, we decay. Our consciousnesses no longer exist. Sort of like the light from a candle that has been blown out.

You may not believe this, but the Bible says the same thing! (Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalms 146:3-4).

So if at death consciousness ceases, then my question is, where do all these accounts of people talking to their ‘dead loved ones’ (through spirit mediums, ouija boards, etc.), hauntings, and other activity, come from? It happens every day, all over the globe! Many are faked, I realize that, but not all!

Why is ancestor worship a fixed element in so many cultures, if there hadn’t seemed to be truth to such events? If not, it would die out.

Do you have any idea as to why these occurrences seem to perpetuate?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You may not believe this, but the Bible says the same thing! (Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalms 146:3-4).

So if at death consciousness ceases, then my question is, where do all these accounts of people talking to their ‘dead loved ones’ (through spirit mediums, ouija boards, etc.), hauntings, and other activity, come from? It happens every day, all over the globe! Many are faked, I realize that, but not all!

Why is ancestor worship a fixed element in so many cultures, if there hadn’t seemed to be truth to such events? If not, it would die out.

From their hopes, wishes and imaginations.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

They do not need to be true to be perpetuated. As you said many are faked, and possibly deluded. Your argument is unsubstantiated.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It’s more than that! Way more!

If that was the only reason, there would be no fear involved with ancestor worship, yet fear often chracterizes the rituals associated with it.

There are many things to fear in ancient cultures, and not necessarily true. Fear is a common way of cultural control in the hierarchy of cultures.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I personally don't believe functional, logical intelligence can come from absolute nothing.

Intelligence must pre exist for intelligence to form. And that makes eternal life possible.

But to say that this existence is ideal for it's purposes of saving mankind is a huge stretch of the imagination that is outside of reality. Thus there is no God.

But a primitive, wild savage spirit reality is a distinct possibility. Otherwise your talking about purely physical means to life's attributes. And with non locality pure physicalism reality rules itself out as the right picture of reality. Physical reality alone doesn't appear to possess any intelligence whatsoever.

I'm a vitalist. Otherwise chaos, and chance produce life by purely physical means, and it takes a lot of faith to buy that perspective. Intelligence isn't a fluke phantom.

james bond

Common sense and science go hand in hand to falsify (not prove) the nature of our physical existence. Religious beliefs are off the table as far as science is concerned, and in reality cannot be proved.

First, I don't know how you could say science can falsify God, the nature of our physical existence, when you just claimed he could not be falsified. That does not make much sense :). This is why falsification and testing are overblown concepts being used in today's science. It's atheistic thinking and atheists are usually wrong. That's just common sense. It's part of the scientific method, but earlier science did not just limit itself to that which can't be falsified or conceive of testing. Earlier science said we could not use God or the supernatural to explain what happened.

It used to be that the Bible was accepted because of common sense and the truth. Common sense backs up the truth. Along with that was God and the supernatural based on testimony of how this book came to be. What atheist science did was remove it on false scientific grounds. No theory should be removed from the beginning, but the atheists did just that.

Intelligent Design is a religious belief, and cannot be falsified by science.

Then in the next sentence, your common sense goes out the window. It's not a religious belief. It could be found in nature, for example, as the Fibonacci sequence. Or art. We look at someone's art and realize there was intelligence in putting the media to the paper. From design or lack of it, we can infer there was intelligence or it was just random or natural.

Science does not 'know' there was a beginning of our physical existence.

Sure it does with the BBT rendering the SST as pseudoscience.

QuestioningMind

You mean current scientific views that can change with the next discovery....tomorrow or next week?
You'll forgive me if I require something more reliable than that. The Creator does not change.

Yes, I DO mean the wonderful Scientific Method! The same scientific method that figured out how electrons work so that you can write your thoughts on this site using your magical computing machine. The same Scientific Method that enables you to live in a climate controlled home, refrigerate your food, provided you with vaccines against numerous deadly diseases. The same Scientific Method that basically makes the life you live possible.

But lets disparage the method because it actually CHANGES when NEW INFORMATION is discovered so that it remains ACCURATE. Why would anyone want to use a method that does THAT? It's so sad that people who use science on a daily basis in order to live their lives can at the same time think that science doesn't work.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Why not all? Why do all paranormal talents and events vanish under the spotlight?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
First, I don't know how you could say science can falsify God, . .

Read my post again. I never claimed science can falsify the existence nor the nature of God. I said, "Religious beliefs are off the table as far as science is concerned, and in reality cannot be proved" . . . nor of course falsified.

I also said, "Common sense and science go hand in hand to falsify (not prove) the nature of our physical existence."

the nature of our physical existence, when you just claimed he could not be falsified. That does not make much sense :).

Of course not, because you misread my post.

Start over and read my post and respond.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Sure it does with the BBT rendering the SST as pseudoscience.

No, not pseudoscience, and the Big Bang Theory is only one of the theories of the origin of our universe, and only addresses one of the possible scenarios concerning our universe, and does not offer a hypothesis for the origin of our physical existence.

. . . and again science offers no proof nor falsification of the origin of our physical existence.

james bond

Read my post again. I never claimed science can falsify the existence nor the nature of God. I said, "Religious beliefs are off the table as far as science is concerned, and in reality cannot be proved" . . . nor of course falsified.

I also said, "Common sense and science go hand in hand to falsify (not prove) the nature of our physical existence."

Of course not, because you misread my post.

Start over and read my post and respond.

If it can't falsify God nor the supernatural, then why is it off the table with today's science? That was my point because if one can't falsify ot test it, it doesn't mean we should discard it. To the contrary, it shouldn't be used as a source according to the scientific method of the past. For example, I can't claim God created the rainbow to be used to back up my theory in science. However, I can claim the rainbow appeared to signal that the storm was over as a theory.

Again, common sense backed up the Bible. And the way you use falsify isn't what it means with your last sentence in science terms.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
If it can't falsify God nor the supernatural, then why is it off the table with today's science?

I never said it was off the table concerning science at any time. The falsification of theories and hypothesis based on objective physical evidence by scientific methods is the foundation of science and Methodological Naturalism.

Again, common sense backed up the Bible. And the way you use falsify isn't what it means with your last sentence in science terms.

Your literacy is in question here. Reread my post and respond again.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If it can't falsify God nor the supernatural, then why is it off the table with today's science? That was my point because if one can't falsify ot test it, it doesn't mean we should discard it. To the contrary, it shouldn't be used as a source according to the scientific method of the past. For example, I can't claim God created the rainbow to be used to back up my theory in science. However, I can claim the rainbow appeared to signal that the storm was over as a theory.

There are many "God"s out there and many of them have been refuted. If one demands that the flood myth is true and that their God cannot lie, that God can be refuted. The evidence against the flood of Noah is so massive that the only explanation left if one demands that it is true is that God covered up the flood for many generations after the flood. That would be a form of lying. And a lying God contradicts the claim that God cannot lie. That God is self-contradicting and cannot exist.

But if you want to claim a dishonest God then that cannot be refuted by that line of logic.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Then you're wrong. As you have seen from this thread, lots of answers have been presented.

Well, dang! I must have missed all those "answers" (unless you just mean "responses"?)......I haven't seen anything validated yet. I see lots of whining about the man asking the questions but not much in the way of answering the ones he posed.
Shooting the messenger isn't working.....sorry. :rolleyes:

james bond

I never said it was off the table concerning science at any time. The falsification of theories and hypothesis based on objective physical evidence by scientific methods is the foundation of science and Methodological Naturalism.

Your literacy is in question here. Reread my post and respond again.

Here's a way to "falsify" God:

1. The universe had a beginning according to the BBT and began to exist.
2. Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
3. The universe began to exist.
4. Therefore, the universe has a cause.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Here's a way to "falsify" God:

1. The universe had a beginning according to the BBT and began to exist.
2. Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
3. The universe began to exist.
4. Therefore, the universe has a cause.

Do not accept "1. The universe had a beginning according to the BBT and began to exist.", because the BBT is only one of a number of hypothesis concerning the origin of our universe, and does not address the question of the origin of our physical existence.

Also, IF our universe had a beginning it is possible that it had a natural origin.

Last edited: