• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Common Sense Deactivated?

gnostic

The Lost One
Perhaps, but seriously I do not think that they will allow themselves to learn no matter how the ideas are presented.

Then, they won't learn.

You have been here long enough, to know what both guy and james are like here.

You have heard of the saying, about leading a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

It is the same here. You cannot force them to learn, when they seriously don't want to learn.

The only thing you can do is clarify and explain.

1. If they make a mistake or misunderstand something, explain to them.
  2. If they are lying, then point it out, that they are being less than honest.

That's all you can really do.

ps If you do the 2nd point, try not to do so where you will earn infraction from the staff. Believe me, I have earned more infractions that I care to earn, because I do get carry away with "expressing my thought" quite bluntly...too bluntly. :oops:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Then, they won't learn.

You have been here long enough, to know what both guy and james are like here.

You have heard of the saying, about leading a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

It is the same here. You cannot force them to learn, when they seriously don't want to learn.

The only thing you can do is clarify and explain.

1. If they make a mistake or misunderstand something, explain to them.
  2. If they are lying, then point it out, that they are being less than honest.

That's all you can really do.

ps If you do the 2nd point, try not to do so where you will earn infraction from the staff. Believe me, I have earned more infractions that I care to earn, because I do get carry away with "expressing my thought" quite bluntly...too bluntly. :oops:

LOL! Been there done that. Sometime it is better to craft one's posts so that the lurkers can learn something from them. Those that actively post for creationism simply will not let themselves learn any science. I have offered to discuss the scientific method and the nature of evidence with many creationists on several forums and have had only one take me up on my offer. When it because obvious to him that creationism did not follow the scientific method and there was no reliable evidence for creationism he ran away. I think that deep down inside every debater against science has to understand that they are wrong, they simply will do anything possible to avoid facing that reality.

gnostic

The Lost One
LOL! Been there done that. Sometime it is better to craft one's posts so that the lurkers can learn something from them. Those that actively post for creationism simply will not let themselves learn any science. I have offered to discuss the scientific method and the nature of evidence with many creationists on several forums and have had only one take me up on my offer. When it because obvious to him that creationism did not follow the scientific method and there was no reliable evidence for creationism he ran away.

Yes, I know that you have made such offers, a number of times, I don't think anyone have taken up your offer.

It is sad that many of them refuse to learn, but that's the way they are. They are far too indoctrinate, to want anyone shake their boats. Making them questioning their faith is frightening for them.

I don't see why science should rock their faith, because there are already many Christians and Jews who already accept evolution as explanation for biodiversity and speciation, and haven't lost their faith.