• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Common Sense Deactivated?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I just like his questions. And I love the way no one can answer them with any certainty.....they are so simple, really.
Why do you think "certainty" is important? Do you just automatically believe something if it is asserted with certainty?

Common sense is obviously not "common" if simple questions cannot be answered by the most brilliant minds.
His questions have been answered, numerous times.

Science seems to think so. They know that the universe had a beginning so what was before that?
If "time" is part of the Universe, and the Universe "began" at some point, then asking what "came before it began" makes literally no sense.

Last edited:

Grandliseur

why would they need remedies? Why would God design natural cures for human sickness when there was never intended to be any?
I just happened to see this and wanted to comment on it.
Human perfection was only experienced for a very short time by two people; for this reason we have no idea what perfect human life involves. It is interesting that about paradise this is given:
Ezekiel 47:12 . . .In their months they will bear new fruit, because the water for them—it is coming forth from the very sanctuary. And their fruitage must prove to be for food and their leafage for healing.”
Revelation 22:1-2 22 And he showed me a river of water of life, clear as crystal, flowing out from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 down the middle of its broad way. And on this side of the river and on that side [there were] trees of life producing twelve crops of fruit, yielding their fruits each month. And the leaves of the trees [were] for the curing of the nations.
Today, capitalists study nature so as to make pills, medicine, to sell expensively, not because they want to assist us. It has lately been demonstrated quite obviously that when possible some medicines have had their prices hiked 100 or 200% though generic cheap ones can be made, but is not.

In these verses we see how instead, the medicine of God is found on trees for all to use and without expensive payment. God loves to provide for us, if we obey his righteous laws.
---------
You also have to realize that even perfect people are mortal. When Jesus walked the earth, he was perfect but needed food and drink to not die. Clearly, then, in Paradise if you don't eat your vegetables ;) like a good little boy or girl, you'll get ill.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
As I said, his questions are fine. It's his answers that are ridiculous.
Certainty is the mother of fools.

You don't have to accept his answers. But he sure makes those kids stop and think, doesn't he? I just like the way he phrases his questions. I can imagine the Pharisees having a conversation about Jesus along these lines, telling others that his teachings were 'ridiculous' and calling him 'the mother of fools'. Everyone is entitled to their view.

1. He wasn't talking to any 'brilliant minds', surprisingly...

Hmmmm, shame about that. Future scientists should begin their college studies with a little more than simply a conviction that they are atheists, don't you think? Most of them had no idea how to respond and yet the illustration wasn't rocket science.

you're doing what he does by starting FROM the answer, then posing a question.

He began by getting them to confirm their atheistic beliefs. Identifying yourself as an atheist should at least be backed up by some knowledge of why you take that position....don't you think? It isn't enough to be taught about evolution in school or to watch a Dawkins video and assume that he must be telling the truth. It is his view but it needn't be shared as if he was some kind of an evangelist preaching the way to slavation.

You don't get to determine whether or not I'm allowed to suggest I don't know something, surely? If I don't know, surely 'I don't know' is the correct response?

You're right......I withdraw the proviso your Honor. :p

I just rewatched this video for the second time, so you owe me about 25 minutes of my life back...

How torturous for you....
171.gif
I am humbled by your obedience.

3. Do you believe this book happened by accident?
No.
(to extrapolate, this is where credibility starts to vanish. Clearly no-one thinks the book happened by accident, whether they believe in God or not. This is not due to the books complexity, but because it is clearly human in origin. We know about books. We read and right them everyday. But heck, let's just set up a false equivalency between a book and the creation of the universe, right? I mean, anyone of the people he spoke to could have been the author of the book, right??)

Since it is scientists themselves who call the volumes containing the mapping of the human genome "the Book of Life", I think it is quite fair to use the book analogy. Just as any book with complex scientific information has to be written by someone with enough intelligence to understand what they are talking about, so it is logical to assume that intelligence was behind the information contained in the sequencing of the human genome itself. :shrug:

Why he wants to interview students on this, when there are perfectly good scientists who've devoted their life to studying it, I don't know. Well, I probably do. After all, who wants an in-depth explanation when they can get a sound-byte, and simply edit for the ones 'proving' a point, right?

He has interviewed scientists before with exactly the same response. Even the professors struggled with the simple questions. Ask them something requiring a deep explanation for a mechanical function in some biological system and they will spout off jargon for half an hour without taking a breath, but ask them the simple things and they are at a loss for words.

His 'strength' is in dumbing down actual in depth arguments (more completely raised by someone like William Paley) into a 10 minute video so people can say 'Checkmate atheists'. It's pretty insulting really.

Isn't it sad that 'dumbing things down' for people shows up their level of intelligence like nothing else? :oops:

In short, there are much more intelligent attempts over the years in terms of claiming our design mandates an intelligent designer.
Some of them even attempt to address some of the clear design faults, and commonalities between DNA markers. Most don't though. Ray doesn't get to this level, because he doesn't WANT to discuss it. He doesn't want to further knowledge. He wants people to realise they are ignorant of something, then slides a ready made answer into the gap in their knowledge.

And they end up realizing that he has a point. He has opened up that gap and planted a seed of doubt....and hopefully they will think about what he has told them instead of swallowing the stuff that is shoved down their throats from High School and on into college, and made to feel like proper idiots if they question anything.

Giving scientists the opportunity to dazzle with scientific jargon is not what he was after. The KISS principle works brilliantly I think. :D
It exposes an underbelly not often seen on campuses.

'poor assessment of the overall situation'
Fair enough. But you assessment of the 'overall situation' seems just as petty and human as the next persons, including mine.
Hubris.

I like to get to the bottom of things and if something doesn't ring true for me, I am like a dog with a bone. I won't put it down until I understand. I knew there was a Creator but his purpose escaped me when I was a church member. I didn't understand anything and it was frustrating me to no end. Studying the Bible with JW's opened up a lot of doors and windows for me. (no pun intended) It filled in all the gaps until I had a big picture that made perfect sense. It may not be that way for others, but that is how it was for me.

Science doesn't 'think'. This is a strawman.

I know science doesn't think....that is my complaint. Strawmen think more logically than they do IMO.
hanghead.gif

There are a LOT of things I don't know. I just wish others would admit the same. And no, that isn't just aimed at you, or even theists. It's a general statement.

Heck, there are a lot of things I don't know too...but finding out is so worth the effort. Getting questions answered that have been rattling around in your head for decades is extremely satisfying. Having a personal relationship with the Creator is not something you can explain to someone...it has to be experienced. This is how you "know"....not just "think" you know. :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Ray Comfort is a joke. Really he is. His biggest argument is that God created the banana to fit the human hand and so forth.

Poor Ray ... he didn't realize that Bananas, as we know them, are a human invention, created by selective breeding.

Try to keep up Sapiens...we have covered all that in depth already. Your comment is a little late....sorry.
consoling2.gif

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Love him or hate him, Ray Comfort makes a good argument.

Can nothing create everything?

What evidence would convince you that there is intelligence demonstrated in the DNA that makes up all living things?
Sure. Take Ray's comforts ..."God made the banana as a testament of his wonderful creation vid" for example.....

Considering that there was completely NOTHING brought forward of value by way of Education and knowledge regarding bananas in the course of Earth's history, Ray Comfort in turn mind you, with that spectacularly stylish flair and signature style of his, had most certainly made a whole lot of "SOMETHING" from it all.

I'm of the opinion that God had came along from that very same vein as those wonderous bananas did.

"0)

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
You don't have to accept his answers. But he sure makes those kids stop and think, doesn't he?
When you have complete control over who you ask, how you film them and how you edit the film, you can produce practically any impression you want.

Hmmmm, shame about that. Future scientists should begin their college studies with a little more than simply a conviction that they are atheists, don't you think?
What? Since when are scientists all atheists?

Most of them had no idea how to respond and yet the illustration wasn't rocket science.
If I approached you in the street and asked you a loaded question you weren't prepared to answer, chances are you wouldn't immediately know how to respond, either. How do you know that there weren't lots of people he asked who responded very intelligently and he just didn't include their answers in the finished video?

Since it is scientists themselves who call the volumes containing the mapping of the human genome "the Book of Life", I think it is quite fair to use the book analogy.
As long as you understand it is an analogy and not meant to be taken literally.

Just as any book with complex scientific information has to be written by someone with enough intelligence to understand what they are talking about, so it is logical to assume that intelligence was behind the information contained in the sequencing of the human genome itself. :shrug:
No, it isn't, because biological systems are not the same as books and do not contain "information" in the same way that books do. You might as well argue that because a chair has a particular "shape" to it and is produced by carpenters, a rock must also be made by a carpenter because it has a "shape". This is exactly the same as the logic you are using.

He has interviewed scientists before with exactly the same response. Even the professors struggled with the simple questions. Ask them something requiring a deep explanation for a mechanical function in some biological system and they will spout off jargon for half an hour without taking a breath, but ask them the simple things and they are at a loss for words.
Provide sources, please.

And they end up realizing that he has a point.
Or, they just said that because they wanted to leave.

He has opened up that gap and planted a seed of doubt....and hopefully they will think about what he has told them instead of swallowing the stuff that is shoved down their throats from High School and on into college, and made to feel like proper idiots if they question anything.
Like how people are with religion?

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yeah...I noticed that. :D

Common sense and science go hand in hand to falsify (not prove) the nature of our physical existence. Religious beliefs are off the table as far as science is concerned, and in reality cannot be proved.

Intelligent Design is a religious belief, and cannot be falsified by science.

Science does not 'know' there was a beginning of our physical existence.

As far as herbal science goes. The advances in the past 30 to 40 years has gone along way to not only restoring ancient herbal practices, but discovering new applications. It is mostly culture that has biases against herbal use such as Marijuana and other herbs. Actually some herbs have become a part of our pharmaceutical medicines.

I have studied herbs for many years, and there are problems with many claims of herbs, and in fact some have been found ineffective, harmful, and on occasion deadly.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Regardless of his methods or his tactics, (obviously the reason why atheists hate him) answer his honest questions for yourself. Can everything come from nothing?
Can the book of life have no author? Can any book write itself?

I particularly like Dawkins' reaction to the audience laughing at his absurd statements. He is obviously not use to being the object of ridicule but rather the dispenser of it. :D

Yes

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

"It has never been a problem for me because I believe that there is another realm where intelligent beings reside and who have constant contact and interaction with earth's inhabitants and will continue to do so until the Creator's purpose in connection with the beings on this planet is accomplished."

**Good. So not knowing is fine for both of us.**

@Polymath257 , I guess you deny that paranormal activity occurs at all, right?

Can I ask you this? ....What do you think happens at our death?

Um, we decay. Our consciousnesses no longer exist. Sort of like the light from a candle that has been blown out.

This is why planet Earth is is such awful trouble....polluted almost beyond man's ability to repair....why? Because he will not stop making money at the planet's expense. When you throw God away, decency and care for others disappears with him.
Oh? I would say it's the very religious opinion that some God gave man dominion over the earth, to use as we see fit, and that mankind is somehow separate from nature that has allowed this to happen.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing material existed.

How do you know?

Energy existed and does exist. Matter is just another form of energy. Remember E=MC2? Energy-matter conversion. They convert into each other. The potential for matter always existed. The potential for matter exists now in energy; energy exists in matter... burn a log and see what you get: heat and light energy. Can we convert energy into matter? The answer is a resounding "yes".

What do you call that unseen realm?

It has (they have) many names: "other dimension(s)"; "other planes"; "devaloka" (there are many). I'm not sure where you're going with asking about unseen realms. :confused: That's a matter (no pun intended) of belief and faith, not energy-matter.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I personally think he had a good point with the banana. :p It is perfectly designed to be peeled and held in the direction of the mouth for immediate consumption. (when you are hungry, this is important) You really believe that was just an accident? Discarding the banana peel might be a trifle hazardous to pedestrians but it makes excellent fertilizer for the garden. :D "Nature" is applauded for its design and recycling skills.....but what is "nature" exactly? Is it that "something" that came from "nothing", I wonder?
Oh, it was no accident. Bananas have been modified by human beings to look the way they do, over the course of thousands of years. Bananas did not originally look the way they currently do.
Taming the Wild Banana | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

His point is a terrible one.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Regardless of his methods or his tactics, (obviously the reason why atheists hate him) answer his honest questions for yourself. Can everything come from nothing?
Can the book of life have no author? Can any book write itself?
We don't hate Ray, we love his videos, in the same way we love Monty Python, The Simpsons and Eddie Izzard, he really is hilarious.
I've already asked you about where did your god come from, you chose to ignore that.
I find it hypocritical that you mock the whole "Something can't come from nothing" idea; but when it comes to god..."oh she came from nothing" or "She is eternal"

Very poor.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You got that right! Only the original one was the correct one.

What better way of hiding the correct one, than by making thousands of counterfeits?! But, ultimately, it wasn't humans behind the idea.

Yes, so folks have thousands to pick from, more IMO.

No doubt were the "u" in Calvin's tulip theology comes from, Unconditional election. Man is incapable of choosing correctly because of his "t" total depravity.