• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College...oh, college!

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
But you said you are just going to university but have already been at college?

Sometimes people go to a community college (a 2-year college) to get their general education credits out of the way because it's cheaper to do it like that. Then they transfer to another school. That's what I'm doing. The words are still interchangeable and, over here at least, a college is not necessarily a lower form of education than a university. (Dartmouth College, Boston College, Sarah Lawrence College, etc.)

ranjana

thats exactly what im doing too!

at half the price and direct transferability, smaller classes and instructors who are much more involved with their students' learning, its the smart choice!!!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Over here college is a lower form of education than university.
Same here in Canada as well... usually.

Here, "college" usually means a community college, which focus more on job training and give out diplomas, not degrees (though some pair up with universities to offer degree programs). Universities have programs beyond just job training and grant degrees to their graduates.

However, some universities use the term "college" to refer to schools or divisions that make up the institution as a whole, for example, the University of Toronto is made up of University College, Trinity College, Innis College, etc., similar to the setup of Oxford and Cambridge.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing

Here, "college" usually means a community college, which focus more on job training and give out diplomas, not degrees (though some pair up with universities to offer degree programs). Universities have programs beyond just job training and grant degrees to their graduates.

However, some universities use the term "college" to refer to schools or divisions that make up the institution as a whole, for example, the University of Toronto is made up of University College, Trinity College, Innis College, etc., similar to the setup of Oxford and Cambridge.
The only real stratification of schools in the US is if there is the word "community" in the name. One of the best schools in the nation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, does not even have the words "college" or "university" anywhere in the name.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The only real stratification of schools in the US is if there is the word "community" in the name.
I've heard the term "junior college"; is that the same thing as a community college?

One of the best schools in the nation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, does not even have the words "college" or "university" anywhere in the name.
Yeah... and I think this shows how the framework of post-secondary education differs between our countries. In Canada, by law, only a university can grant a degree, and universities can only be founded by an act of Parliament. If MIT were in Canada, it would probably have the word "university" in its name.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Sometimes people go to a community college (a 2-year college) to get their general education credits out of the way because it's cheaper to do it like that. Then they transfer to another school. That's what I'm doing. The words are still interchangeable and, over here at least, a college is not necessarily a lower form of education than a university. (Dartmouth College, Boston College, Sarah Lawrence College, etc.)

Ahh we have free education in Scotland. So don't have to worry about uni fees just living costs. So basically you do two years at a community college then go into 3rd year of university?

Panda

42?
Premium Member
The only real stratification of schools in the US is if there is the word "community" in the name. One of the best schools in the nation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, does not even have the words "college" or "university" anywhere in the name.

See over here a University is any educational body that can give out degrees and higher. A college can give out Higher National Certificates and Higher National Diplomas at the highest. Colleges are also more likely to be run by local councils (our version of states, or what ever the smallest division of area above city etc are) and will do night classes, high school qualifications and other stuff. Like my last year in school we done Psychology at our local college not our high school.

Panda

42?
Premium Member

Yea they use "college" in the same way you use "house" at school. You live with your college but go to the uni for classes (Stephen Fry tries to explain this a bit in Moab is my Washpot).

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Ahh we have free education in Scotland. So don't have to worry about uni fees just living costs. So basically you do two years at a community college then go into 3rd year of university?
Yes. Usually- it's less expensive to get the basic courses and credits out of the way at junior college then transfer to a uni'.
When I lived in the U.K. it was jarring to hear the distinction all the time- it's all college and university here in the states.
And it's crazy expensive to go to college in the U.S. Criminally so.....

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yea they use "college" in the same way you use "house" at school. You live with your college but go to the uni for classes (Stephen Fry tries to explain this a bit in Moab is my Washpot).
My school was a bit different: there was the university itself, which offered most of the classes and had residences, but there were also the religious colleges, which had residences of their own and also offered courses that were open to the whole student body of the university. Some people would live with their college and go to the uni for classes, but others would live with the uni and go to a college for (some of) their classes.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Geez, you guys...September 24th is taking FOREVER to get here!!!!!!! I can't wait til classes start!!!! :bounce I'm so, so, soooooooo excited about getting my degree.

I've been reading up on "the business" :p and how to navigate it. I want to get started working on productions even before I get to do my internship or earn my degree. What I would need to be is a production assistant...that's the one who does all the grunt work--getting coffee for everyone, running errands, making sure everyone has copies of scripts or call sheets, etc (which I don't mind, ya gotta pay yer dues :D). I started reading this guy's blog; he is a production assistant in L.A. and he wrote a blog on how to snag a job as a P.A. Basically:
1--Go to TheFutonCritic.com - The Web's Best Television Resource
2--Look at TV series in development
3--Ones that have been ordered to pilot or ordered to series are up for grabs. Call the production office until you actually reach someone and ask if they're hiring for production assistant. If they are, ask if you can fax your resume. If they aren't, ask if you can fax your resume. :) You'd then go in for an interview.

And, eventually, it should pan out. I'm hoping that school will open up even more resources on how to make this happen or how to know which avenues are available to me. I know I am a HUGE geek but tv and movie-making fascinate me. So, oh well! :D Just thought I'd share my plans! : hamster :

Last edited:

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Question! Ok I have sent my high school transcript to CSULA twice now. They have already gotten all of my other transcripts, but for some reason (that is irritating the hell out of me) they can't seem to get my high school one. If I've sent it twice and it just keeps getting lost (or whatever is happening to it), what am I supposed to do? Have CSULA call my high school and request it? I mean, that wouldn't magically make it get there....:verymad: This is very frustrating because this is the only documentation they are missing and I can't register for classes or orientation til they get everything!!

Has this happened to anyone else when they applied for school?! What do I do? :(

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is it being sent directly from your old high school? Maybe they have the wrong address or something like that.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Is it being sent directly from your old high school? Maybe they have the wrong address or something like that.

Yea, it has to be sent from the high school in order to be considered official. I went to my high school and wrote out the request form myself...the address is correct. :(

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Does anyone know if you can still take classes even if you have completed your required courses to graduate? What if you feel like you need or want more education on the subject? What if you're just interested and want to take more classes on it? I know you have to apply to graduate, right? Or at least notify them that you're doing so. Can you just hold off on applying to graduate until you want to?

Stellify

StarChild
I would call your Uni and ask them if they will accept a fax copy of your transcript as an official. Or, at the very least, if they'll allow you to register with just a fax copy until the high school manages to get the real copy sent correctly.
That way, it gets there the same day, and can't get lost in the mail.

But some Unis don't accept that kind of thing, so make sure you ask your counselor or something first. :D

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
I got into 3 of the 4 I applied to. Well...Univ. of Houston didn't reject me, they just never seemed to have gotten all of my transcripts. But since I got into my first choice I just never bothered to send them anything. :D

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I got into 3 of the 4 I applied to. Well...Univ. of Houston didn't reject me, they just never seemed to have gotten all of my transcripts. But since I got into my first choice I just never bothered to send them anything. :D
I figured you would get accepted by all of them....I'm sure UH would have grabbed you up in a heartbeat.

Congratulations again and I hope you like the west coast! :)