• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians..... you are not the saviors of the world.

ecco

Veteran Member
God bless John Chau. He put his life in mortal danger in the name of God. A modern shining example of Christian dedication and love for all people.

It doesn't take high thought or complex and developed philosophy to not be murderous savages; I fully fault them on that basis.

Further, if they were not murderous savages, they would be capable of receiving the fruits of millennia of advancement that would allow them to make more informed decisions on their tribal direction.

Thank you for your thoughtful commentary. It certainly reinforces my belief that religion in general and religious fundamentalism, in particular, are extremely dangerous. Furthermore, it also demonstrates the utter lack of compassion some religionists have for their fellow humans.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's not about raw numbers. It's about the ratio of extinctions to non-extinctions. Compare the ratio of animals that have been around for 10K years and animals that have gone extinct during that time with the ratio of animals that have been around for say, 500K years, and animals that have gone extinct during that time and then get back to me.

Why should I? What point would that make in favor of your notion that the Islanders are soon to go extinct from natural selection?

Rational Agnostic

Why should I? What point would that make in favor of your notion that the Islanders are soon to go extinct from natural selection?

The point is that natural selection takes time (both with regard to extinction of a species or variety and evolution of a species or variety). The longer the passage of time, the more likely for extinction or evolution to occur. Of course the same can be said about the entire human species as well, not just the Islanders. But of course an isolated primitive population is less likely to survive a catastrophe than a large genetically diverse population.

ecco

Veteran Member
2: Literally every single Christian I've talked to about this issue agrees that the guy was an absolute idiot who got exactly what he should have expected to happen.
Really? Every single Christian? Literally?

In my opinion, the spreading of the gospel has been completed. Anyone who does not know, probably doesn't want to know.

The truth is out there, it's just that the tribe rejects it. The tribe rejects everything...

God bless John Chau. He put his life in mortal danger in the name of God. A modern shining example of Christian dedication and love for all people.

Further, if they were not murderous savages, they would be capable of receiving the fruits of millennia of advancement that would allow them to make more informed decisions on their tribal direction.

If they weren't murderous savages we could learn to communicate with each other.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
2nc7sr.jpg

Yes, yes, but it's all for the Islander's own benefit, you see. Has nothing at all to do with our own egos. I propose we civilize them to death -- just as we have done in the name of our egos our god for hundreds of years with other indigenous peoples.

Givin the recent threads regarding John Chau's willful disregard for laws that had protected the safety and health concerns of the Setinelese nation and its people for a considerable time.

This is what has been going on since his death.

First, a look at John's stupidity and his spirit of disregard in spite of warnings and concerns that I'm reasonably sure were given to him prior to all this, and the consequences as what has come about from all this so far....

Seven people arrested for helping missionary John Chau before his death

A number of Christians also have the sheer gall to demand this after the fact....

Christian group invites ridicule with demand of murder charges against Sentinelese - Times of India

I think it's time to send a message and reminder to Christians and any other religion that follows a similar path.

In light of recent events surrounding Chau's actions, basically the message needs to be reaffirmed to (hopefully) get it through a number of Christians heads that....

POINT

* You are not the saviors of the world.

*You are not the salt of the earth.

*You are not a beacon of light into the darkness.

I don't know what it takes to drive the message home. Maybe it will take the modern age deaths of an entire group of an ancient indigenous people spanning tens of thousands of years for starters who simply want to be left alone. God forbid. Right?

Would you be willing to stand to any Higher Courts of India to testify to these things? That Christians are not the salt of the earth, nor any beacon of light in the darknesess?

ecco

Veteran Member
How can you proselytize when you don't know the language of the people you're trying to preach to? And I'm 99.99% sure this guy didn't have the Holy Spirit enabling him to speak their language.
According to one poster in the other thread on this subject, it doesn't matter that they could not understand what he was saying. The mere fact that Chau was on the Island and said the word "Jesus" means the spreading of the gospel is complete and the End of Times is now commencing.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The point is that natural selection takes time (both with regard to extinction of a species or variety and evolution of a species or variety). The longer the passage of time, the more likely for extinction or evolution to occur. Of course the same can be said about the entire human species as well, not just the Islanders. But of course an isolated primitive population is less likely to survive a catastrophe than a large genetically diverse population.

Again, the Islanders have been there for 60,000 years. They obviously have a sustainable lifestyle. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, be there another 60,000 years -- but unless we intervene in their affairs, I give them a fair chance of survival. At any rate, we have no just reason to intervene in their affairs. None.

Rational Agnostic

Thank you for your thoughtful commentary. It certainly reinforces my belief that religion in general and religious fundamentalism, in particular, are extremely dangerous. Furthermore, it also demonstrates the utter lack of compassion some religionists have for their fellow humans.

Lack of compassion? You're the guy who said you have no sympathy for the grieving family of the victim or for the grieving family and friends of the kid who was killed in a North Korean prison camp. If anyone has a lack of compassion, it's you.

ecco

Veteran Member
No..!?! It was only after the Germanics sacked Rome that Catholicism became brutal. Just as Constantinople was genuinely good until the Arabs sacked them.

Also, please note that Latino countries are no longer allowed to have powerful militaries because Spanish descendants cannot handle a powerful military because they go too far... That's what a Mexican friend of mine told me.
Nice duck and dodge.

Rational Agnostic

Again, the Islanders have been there for 60,000 years. They obviously have a sustainable lifestyle. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, be there another 60,000 years -- but unless we intervene in their affairs, I give them a fair chance of survival. At any rate, we have no just reason to intervene in their affairs. None.

I agree that we shouldn't intervene in their affairs. No argument there. But I also don't think the natiive group deserves special protections from Indian Law either.

ecco

Veteran Member
So you doubt the validity of the beach orgy sessions and the violent penis shaking towards intruders?
You are quoting The Daily Mail - really? If that is your go-to source for information, then it becomes clear why you think the way you do.

ecco

Veteran Member
The second question is purely hypothetical and thus unanswerable.

Then explain why you were using it in a comparison.

The point is that native cultures are often barbaric and cruel (Aztecs are another example)

Riiight, the barbaric and cruel Aztecs. They occasionally sacrificed a virgin. How horrible. Especially when compared to the more advanced Spanish Catholic civilization that initiated the Inquisition and stole lands and money from the heathen Jews. And let's not forget the Catholic witch hunts that killed tens of thousands of evil witches In The Name Of God. How civilized!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The point is that native cultures are often barbaric and cruel....

Not just most native cultures. Most human cultures and societies have histories of being barbaric and cruel.

Fairly recently, for instance, a powerful, advanced nation entered into a war of aggression against a much weaker nation, killed over 100,000 civilians, and rendered 4,000,000 others homeless -- significant numbers of whom had to turn to prostitution in order to survive. It was all done on the pretext that the weaker nation was about to get weapons of mass destruction -- a complete lie, as it turned out.

The same powerful, advanced nation sees itself as civilized, humane, and compassionate. And there is some truth to that -- but the fuller truth is that nation can be utterly barbaric and cruel too.

Not every society is as peace-loving as the Hopi Indians.

GoodbyeDave

Will those who have been denouncing the islanders as "savages" explain how their armed resistance to invasion differs from any nation having armed forces to protect their territory? And what of those "civilised" countries which permit lethal force against criminal trespassers?

PS Perhaps the Hopi have a peaceful society today because they killed all the Christian missionaries in 1680 and the Christian converts in 1700
Awatovi Ruins - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
According to one poster in the other thread on this subject, it doesn't matter that they could not understand what he was saying. The mere fact that Chau was on the Island and said the word "Jesus" means the spreading of the gospel is complete and the End of Times is now commencing.
Which if you ask me is a legalistic and idiotic reading of what it means to spread the Gospel, but ya know.