• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Trump Supporters

Socratic Berean

Occasional thinker, perpetual seeker
For Christian Trump supporters: please provide a scripturally-based argument for your decision to back this man (without changing the subject to denigrate any opponent), including an explanation for rejecting scripture that clearly casts this person, based on his speech and actions (past and present), as an unfit ruler.

exchemist

Veteran Member
For Christian Trump supporters: please provide a scripturally-based argument for your decision to back this man (without changing the subject to denigrate any opponent), including an explanation for rejecting scripture that clearly casts this person, based on his speech and actions (past and present), as an unfit ruler.
I think you need to quote some scripture to support your contention first, don't you?

Socratic Berean

I think you need to quote some scripture to support your contention first, don't you?
I’d rather not spoon feed the biblically illiterate, at least not this early in the attempted dialogue. Scripture is perfectly clear on the attributes of a good ruler and what we should look to for leadership role models. If professed Believers are unfamiliar with the tenets of their faith, we need to have a different conversation all together.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The premise is wrong, IMO.

If I would to vote and have to back up my decision according to scripture... I wouldn't vote at all because none of the candidates would qualify.

Can you ask the question differently?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Romans 3
21 But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— 22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. 26 It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

Obviously, one is made righteous by their faith, not by their acts. :praying:

Socratic Berean

If I would to vote and have to back up my decision according to scripture... I wouldn't vote at all because none of the candidates would qualify.

Some prominent theologians have come to the same conclusion and encouraged disengagement (see John Piper, for instance, when in 2020 he seemed to refute John MacArthur’s proclamation, “real Christians will vote for Trump.”) I don’t necessarily agree, though, and tend to fall in line more with Chip Ingram’s teaching that Believers who are given the right, the freedom, of political participation have an obligation to carry that out in a manner that is as biblically supportable and Christ-like as possible.

As asked in the OP, I’m looking for dialog that does not deflect to other “candidates.” One can either back up their support of Trump with scripture or they cannot.

Last edited:

Socratic Berean

Obviously, one is made righteous by their faith, not by their acts. :praying:

Agreed, but we are not discussing righteousness or verses lifted out of context. We are talking about scripture that directly addresses leadership, fit versus unfit rulers.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't think there's anyone on RF that would fit your criteria. There are Christian Trump supporters, but I don't think they are assuming Trump is 'God's manservant' or anything. They just think he represents their social-economic agenda better that the democrats.

Kenny

Premium Member
Some prominent theologians have come to the same conclusion and encouraged disengagement (see John Piper, for instance, when in 2020 he seemed to refute John MacArthur’s proclamation, “real Christians will vote for Trump.”) I don’t necessarily agree,

I agree that I don't agree with John Piper :)

though, and tend to fall in line more with Chip Ingram’s teaching that Believers who are given the right, the freedom, of political participation have an obligation to carry that out in a manner that is as biblically supportable and Christ-like as possible.

That is my position too.

As asked in the OP, I’m looking for dialog that does deflect to other “candidates.” One can either back up their support of Trump with scripture or they cannot.

So this would vary person to person. Someone may say "You shouldn't vote for Trump because of his language and past".

Another may say, "Language and past is irrelevant when it comes to killing babies in the womb. (scripture - "thou shalt not kill"

For me, who has his own past, killing babies in the womb trumps (no pun intended) is more important than language and past.

Then again, there could be another discussion between people on when is a baby considered a baby... but it is the principle that I am talking about :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
How about the Sermon On the Mount, Matthew ch. 5-7?
Oh I agree entirely that the teaching of the New Testament would suggest Trump's unfitness. My point was that if you demand Trump supporters produce justification from scripture, while you yourself fail to do so, then it is not a level playing field for argument.

And actually I doubt this exercise will go anywhere. Some people are adept at cherry picking the OT (not the NT) to find snippets to justify almost anything they like.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My point was that if you demand Trump supporters produce justification from scripture, while you yourself fail to do so, then it is not a level playing field for argument.
I've made myself clear on this on many posts and on many threads, so I've repeatedly done that-- much to the chagrin of some.

F1fan

Veteran Member

I'm curious what would qualify a candidate you could vote for.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It could be an interesting thread.
But it looks pretty uninviting to the intended group.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Why and how does someone like Donald Trump corner the Christian vote?

ps: You don't have to answer, but that is a question I think about sometimes.

Kenny

Premium Member
I'm curious what would qualify a candidate you could vote for.

As far as voting for, always the best candidate possible even if it is the best of two worst candidates.

But I thought Ben Carson was an EXCELLENT pick. They tried to smear, mal-align, and find something wrong with him...

They stopped trying!

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm neither a Christian nor a Trump supporter, though this passage (Romans 13) seems relevant:

"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities; for there is no authority except from God, and those authorities that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists authority resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Do you wish to have no fear of the authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive its approval; for it is God’s servant for your good. But if you do what is wrong, you should be afraid, for the authority does not bear the sword in vain! It is the servant of God to execute wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be subject, not only because of wrath but also because of conscience. For the same reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, busy with this very thing. Pay to all what is due them—taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due."