• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Religious Faith a Choice

• Yes it is!

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • No it is not!

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Yes and No, I can explain.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I am Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I offer Quotes from a Faith to demonstrate.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I offer my thoughts of faith in response.

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

rational experiences

Veteran Member
The science reading no man is God as the state God is a recorded father's life. Left in the heavens.

Father was only ever a human. As any use of information about a human says the human owns it.

So if I own water I don't own gods water I own human water the teaching.

God owned mass a human relative teaching.

State to be recorded was the state .... a sun earth mass and all heavens gas and water conversion to own God the state. To record any body.

We own life with god. God the state can record dead things also in image. The reason for the teaching.

Hence I never am God the state.

I always will be with father as he is human first.

Recorded by the God state is secondary as God in fact hurts us. By the state.

The exact human teaching.

Science discusses mass. No human represents any state God mass a teaching. The origin state as God.

They had to teach no man is God for human protection in relativity.

As we argue against human scientists.

No man is God is not said against God it was just a teaching.

The teaching needs to be human accepted as God is dangerous in science.

firedragon

Veteran Member
The purpose of this OP is to explore our Choice of Faith, is it a choice, is it not?

I have read in other OP's on RF where people say it was not a choice, that their Faith was a natural process that required no choices.

To an extent I agree, as I see God has created us all in the same image, with the same potential of Spirtual Virtue.

Faith in the unseen or the divine is wired into us. It is Quranic, not just some arbitrary "I think" thing. Also recent research has showed the same thing.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Oh really? Are Indian priests not Pandaram?
(That’s like lower caste, right?)
The meaning of Pandaram is non-Brahmin, which could be any caste excepting Brahmin, or no caste. It happens whenever there are no Brahmins available. At the time of the sugar diaspora, the invading sugar lords who captured indentured labour didn't take many Brahmins, although it did happen. Pandarams are generally self-trained. Some are excellent, and I dare say way better than a poorly trained Brahmin. I'm a Pandaram priest.

firedragon

Veteran Member
On the other hand I see we need education to find that potential and that if we go it alone thinking we do not have a choice, then it may be we miss many choices that are available. My guess is, as I am yet to do so, is that if I searched all the Holy Books, we would find the advice, that to embrace faith, one must make a choice between what was offered by God, over preference to ones own ways. I do know the Bible offers that as a choice to be 'Born Again' from the flesh to the spirit.

As a Baha'i there is clear guidance as to how God offers it is a choice, this is one such passage.

"O My servants! Through the might of God and His power, and out of the treasury of His knowledge and wisdom, I have brought forth and revealed unto you the pearls that lay concealed in the depths of His everlasting ocean. I have summoned the Maids of Heaven to emerge from behind the veil of concealment, and have clothed them with these words of Mine -- words of consummate power and wisdom. I have, moreover, with the hand of divine power, unsealed the choice wine of My Revelation, and have wafted its holy, its hidden, and musk-laden fragrance upon all created things. Who else but yourselves is to be blamed if ye choose to remain unendowed with so great an outpouring of God's transcendent and all-encompassing grace, with so bright a revelation of His resplendent mercy?"

Then if you think its a choice, it is against the Qur'an.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Choice human about science.

The theist.

God conscious is advised.

Position machine to machine reaction atmospheric gas thesis about god

I want.

I want the state I was advised about.

Sun as nuclear mass attacking colliding earth mass converting cooling to own beginning state to make image of man in clouds.

Man already living first scientist.

Real want the state to record just as a reasoning gained state. As mass is taught reactive to have formed the state to record.

Want by choice the idea of the masses historic to be machine owned to obtain end result the energy form.

Want Idealises cloud mass. Reactive lightning thesis.

Want Idealises image of man in cloud mass. I want cloud history. Never Jesus owned.

Reality does not really want image of man wants energy mass reaction cloud.

Told no man is God as recorded man image was by a God state owned already historic removed reacted as God masses.

Relativity. I want versus natural truth.

Natural God history volcanic mass gas owned clouds origin in heaven formation.

How science tried to put us into O gods earth volcanic hell.

Lucky Jesus was only a water cloud reformation and not any God earth beginnings so science only gained sink holes in earth mass as a cold volcano mouth.

As first volcanos now cold.

QuestioningMind

As a believer I've always been baffled by the concept of 'choosing to believe'. For me to believe that something is true I require evidence. If such evidence is lacking I can't simply 'choose to believe' just because I'd like it to be true. There are some religions that have more curb appeal than my religion and offer better guarantees but I cannot just believe them because I might want to.

I know... it's just that what you consider to be sufficient evidence I find to be seriously lacking.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Faith in the unseen or the divine is wired into us. It is Quranic, not just some arbitrary "I think" thing. Also recent research has showed the same thing.

Then if you think its a choice, it is against the Qur'an.

I answered yes an no to the poll.

Yes I see it is wired into us, but it requires a choice to bring it from us.

I offered that the Bible says this as the requirement of being born again.

This world is a matrix, which has the choices between good and evil.

How do you see that?

Regards Tony

firedragon

Veteran Member
I answered yes an no to the poll.

Yes I see it is wired into us, but it requires a choice to bring it from us.

I offered that the Bible says this as the requirement of being born again.

This world is a matrix, which has the choices between good and evil.

How do you see that?

Regards Tony

I dont think your OP was about good and evil.

Anyway, I am muslim so I go by the Quran and maybe if there is good research. I dont have any adherence to the Bible, especially not Johannine work so I will leave that to your faith.

Hope you understand.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Well the quandary is that I see that you choose to take that stance, others see belief is a choice, like this Well written article.

"....Beliefs originate from what we hear - and keep on hearing from others, ever since we were children (and even before that!). The sources of beliefs include environment, events, knowledge, past experiences, visualization etc. One of the biggest misconceptions people often harbor is that belief is a static, intellectual concept. Nothing can be farther from truth! Beliefs are a choice. We have the power to choose our beliefs. Our beliefs become our reality...."

The biochemistry of belief

So which one of the linked articles do we choose to believe?

Regards Tony

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Man's science theories are first no different from a spiritual human who asked self a question....where did God come from.

Now if you ask self a human the question how could you a human give an answer?

Basic commonsense....as we came out of the eternal spirit ourselves. The exact place God had been released as a long time historic before we entered earths heavens. At zero ground state.

Science just a human says prove it.

I don't and nor will I ever own any proof.

Science hence says so I will always argue.

So humans sick and tired of inventive human science caused life's destruction has to be taught it is about time you argued correctly for life's continuance.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I dont think your OP was about good and evil.

Anyway, I am muslim so I go by the Quran and maybe if there is good research. I dont have any adherence to the Bible, especially not Johannine work so I will leave that to your faith.

Hope you understand.

I see Choices can be made and always need to be made because we live in a world of opposites. Faith, no faith, good, evil, heat, cold, light, darkness, justice, injustice etc etc.

Faith is just one of those choices.

I would ask how do you see the verse in the Quran that says, "there is no compulsion in religion". Would that verse not suggest that we have a choice?

I am happy to explore the Quran on this topic.

Regards Tony

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well the quandary is that I see that you choose to take that stance, others see belief is a choice, like this Well written article.
"Well-written" does not necessarily mean "correct."

"....Beliefs originate from what we hear - and keep on hearing from others, ever since we were children (and even before that!). The sources of beliefs include environment, events, knowledge, past experiences, visualization etc. One of the biggest misconceptions people often harbor is that belief is a static, intellectual concept. Nothing can be farther from truth! Beliefs are a choice. We have the power to choose our beliefs. Our beliefs become our reality...."

The biochemistry of belief

So which one of the linked articles do we choose to believe?

Regards Tony
I see what you did there. ;)

Belief is involuntary. As I was getting at earlier, it can be influenced by our choices, but we don't directly choose our beliefs.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I see Choices can be made and always need to be made because we live in a world of opposites. Faith, no faith, good, evil, heat, cold, light, darkness, justice, injustice etc etc.

Faith is just one of those choices.

I would ask how do you see the verse in the Quran that says, "there is no compulsion in religion". Would that verse not suggest that we have a choice?

I am happy to explore the Quran on this topic.

Regards Tony

Karaha in arabic means to have any kind of force upon something. So this verse means you cannot force people to do anything in "Dheen".

Thats not relevant to what you are born with. At least that's what I thought your OP was but now it seems like choices made later on and some force issue.

idea

Question Everything
I assume you are referring to God?
How did you find out that God is not real?.... just curious.

God does not answer prayers, does not protect, does not enforce justice, not not teach, is not there.

Hey God - if you are real, stop this post from posting...stop me from typing this sentence...

Haha...

InvestigateTruth

The purpose of this OP is to explore our Choice of Faith, is it a choice, is it not?

I have read in other OP's on RF where people say it was not a choice, that their Faith was a natural process that required no choices.

To an extent I agree, as I see God has created us all in the same image, with the same potential of Spirtual Virtue.

On the other hand I see we need education to find that potential and that if we go it alone thinking we do not have a choice, then it may be we miss many choices that are available. My guess is, as I am yet to do so, is that if I searched all the Holy Books, we would find the advice, that to embrace faith, one must make a choice between what was offered by God, over preference to ones own ways. I do know the Bible offers that as a choice to be 'Born Again' from the flesh to the spirit.

As a Baha'i there is clear guidance as to how God offers it is a choice, this is one such passage.

"O My servants! Through the might of God and His power, and out of the treasury of His knowledge and wisdom, I have brought forth and revealed unto you the pearls that lay concealed in the depths of His everlasting ocean. I have summoned the Maids of Heaven to emerge from behind the veil of concealment, and have clothed them with these words of Mine -- words of consummate power and wisdom. I have, moreover, with the hand of divine power, unsealed the choice wine of My Revelation, and have wafted its holy, its hidden, and musk-laden fragrance upon all created things. Who else but yourselves is to be blamed if ye choose to remain unendowed with so great an outpouring of God's transcendent and all-encompassing grace, with so bright a revelation of His resplendent mercy?"

Bahá’u’lláh, Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 327-328

Does your Faith have such guidance?

Is a faith and all we do in that faith based in choices we have made?

And/Or

Can we have a faith without making choices?

So all the best and it will be interesting to ponder the replies people offer.

Regards Tony
I answered yes and no.
Yes, because we are responsible for our beliefs.
No, because, i believe ultimately everything is predestination.