• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't Stomach Either Political Party After Tonight

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I absolutely will not go for an organization that is pro-open borders or open immigration.
No Democratic leader that I know of is for "open borders", so I think there's something(s) you are taking the wrong way.

"DACA" and "a pathway to citizenship". which the vast majority of Democratic leaders would like to see, are simply not at ll the same as "open borders". I watched the coverage every evening and heard nothing stated or implied about having "open borders".

Tambourine

It's bizarre how followers of xenophobic politics so frequently erect the strawman of "open borders" when literally no major political party anywhere in the West is against border policing or controlled migration.

Voting for a right-wing party because they are against "open borders" would be like me voting for a leftist party because they are against ethnic cleansing. Nobody with the slightest chance of getting elected to a political office would openly endorse such a policy.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought before tonight that I was a firm Democratic voter. However, after bearing months long the 3 Pillars by which the Party was going to be defined, tonight was the 'straw that broke the camel's back' for me. I will not be voting Democrat or Republican. I will be checking out what is available that best represents American values.
Curious, where do you fall politically?
A commie commentator I sometimes watch was just mocking the Democratic Party presentation thingy.
I just assumed at the time that that was because said commentator is far more left learning than the democrats.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I absolutely will not go for an organization that is pro-open borders or open immigration. Not that I don't sympathize with those going through the ordeal, but because I don't see any country surviving very long by allowing such a thing.
Nobody important advocates open borders. But some important people want and have gotten it. Mostly Republicans and rich folks.
Back in the 90s, under Clinton, a trickle of undocumented workers became a stream. During the Bush II administration the stream became a flood.

This isn't hard to understand. The flood of cheap labor was great for corporate profits by keeping the cost of labor down. And those immigrants kept consumption up, because they also needed and bought gasoline, food, clothing, housing, utilities, etc. So prices didn't flatten out like wages. Great for the rich.

A huge batch of workers who had no rights was great for the investing class, but terrible for the working class. Blue collar American workers weren't just competing for jobs with Mexican workers in Mexico, they had to compete with Mexican workers in the USA! Undocumented workers who had no legal rights.

The rich got richer and the less rich had to struggle through the Republican Recession of 2006-2009. A big part of that was the Republican policy of open borders.
"If you can get here you'll get a job. But you won't get documents because it would not be politically expedient to give you papers.:mad:"
That was the USA immigration policy for years!

It started to change under Obama. Undocumented workers started to leave faster than they arrived. Not because Obama waved a magic wand, it was because the Republican Recession resulted in a huge loss of jobs.

Tom