• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we have sympathy both ways

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Yes it hurts when your told something is a sin when you truly don't believe it is. But it also hurts to be called a bigot when there is truly no hate in your heart.
Much that is hurtful is achieved out of hate. But to treat people as pariahs in the absence of hate requires a dogma which is, if anything, far more dangerous only because it is too often impervious to reason.

David1967

Premium Member
To LGBT people, can you stop calling all us christians on the right, and even some on the left, as bigots.

Yeah you're excited for marriage equality, but we just want to be protected just a little bit so we can live within our religious beliefs. It's a deep and spiritual thing for us and telling us that doesn't matter is wrong.

The vast majority of us aren't like those fundamentalist jerks. We DONT believe you should be discriminated in HOUSING EMPLOYMENT OR EVERYDAY SERVICES. When it comes to events we just want to talk it out.

Yes it hurts when your told something is a sin when you truly don't believe it is. But it also hurts to be called a bigot when there is truly no hate in your heart.

Can we just have some peace, sit down, and talk. Cause if I have to go another day with all this I might just give up everything.

Well said.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

There's your "both ways" (see thread title). What more do you want? You get to hurt the homosexual with your views that he or she is an abomination to a good god, and he or she should stifle from calling you a bigot because that hurts you? If you want the homosexual to quit calling you a bigot, quit calling him a sinner. That's both ways.

Of course that bigotry whether accompanied by hate (hot bigotry) or just a misunderstanding with no ill will (cold bigotry). I define bigotry as holding an irrational and destructive belief about every member of a law abiding class of people just for being a member of that class. One can easily be guilty of that absent malice.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Much that is hurtful is achieved out of hate. But to treat people as pariahs in the absence of hate requires a dogma which is, if anything, far more dangerous only because it is too often impervious to reason.
That's a really good point.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't see how the two are exclusive. And how do you know my beliefs encourage that.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but it seems to me that if they do not, then you have no reason to feel bothered, nor to complain.

Maybe someone will take them and twist them, but my beliefs call for respect and dignity. However, they also call us to state what we believe and try our best to live accordingly. Again, I'm not encourage discrimination in employment or housing or services. I'm simply stating in those precise rare occurrences where we feel we can't move, that we sit and talk.
Can you give me an example, then?

SinSaber

I am so sorry, but I don't see how you can have it both ways. Either you accept that LGBT lives deserve full respect and dignity, or you do not. You should not expect anyone to feel the duty to protect you from the consequences of your own religious beliefs, nor of the need to challenge those beliefs when they happen to encourage disrespect, bigotry and inhuman behavior.

How have you personally suffered?

The quote above is how I suffer. I try day in and day out to prove I'm more hateful. But people keep watering down and generalizing words to suit their purposes. And the populace blindly accepts these interpretations. Half the year I just want to stay in bed and let the day go by without even knowing what's happening outside

That's a really good point.

But the majority of us don't make you pariahs. We just accept there's a new order and we're trying to find out new place in it

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was just talking to another guy, who is gay and wants to connect, but he is terrified of being viewed in public with me, even though I am what is known as "straight acting" and it would be impossible for anyone to know why we are hanging out. It made me reflect on how many gay and bisexual males I know that never really connect to human love because of the oppressive environment we live in, and it made reflect once more on how this is not equal footing. Heterosexual males are not ashamed of who they are, they are not scared of expressing themselves, in fact they beat their chest and proudly proclaim themselves as straight. There is no justification for this continued prejudice, religious or otherwise. People should not be so scared to express love that they never find it.

You probably get a double dose of that treatment as a gay atheist.

Like homosexuals, atheists are also demonized and marginalized to the point of often being closeted, and are often despised by Christians, called immoral and enemies of a good god, fit for damnation, a threat to civilization and goodness, and often shunned and/or estranged from family and former friends for "coming out."

Amusing anecdote: A poster on another site told me he was a gay, atheist, vegetarian. You can probably guess which of these caused the people around him to give him the most grief because I thought that it was funny enough to mention.

vegetarian

It is ridiculous how some people pretend the push back is equivalent going both ways.

Agreed. Antitheism is completely justified by the centuries long, unprovoked assault on both homosexuality and atheism, as well as women's rights. A member of any of those groups is perfectly justified in pushing back. It's exactly analogous to the law. A takes a shot at B, and if B is still alive, returns fire. If A kills B, it's murder. If B kills A, it's not even a crime.

SinSaber

Maybe I misunderstood you, but it seems to me that if they do not, then you have no reason to feel bothered, nor to complain.

I'm bothered because of the lefts persistence in making this the fact

Can you give me an example, then?

Well, the cake bake Jack Phillips. He was more than happy to make the sheet cake that they and all the guests ACTUALLY EAT for the wedding. However, he felt that the wedding cake would be too much of an expression of his belief. He wasn't trying to forcefully discriminate and he supported their right to marry. He just wanted a compromise so he felt he was still living within the terms of his religion.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
my beliefs call for respect and dignity. However, they also call us to state what we believe and try our best to live accordingly

Given what you believe, those are mutually exclusive. Once you state the bigoted position of the church regarding homosexuality, respect and dignity have flown out of the window. You seem to either not understand that or to reject it, but that won't make it go away or cause people to give you what you want.

If you want to be a soldier for Christ, you have to accept the consequences of expressing ideas that are unpopular among people not of your faith - the verdict of the court of popular opinion.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The quote above is how I suffer. I try day in and day out to prove I'm more hateful. But people keep watering down and generalizing words to suit their purposes. And the populace blindly accepts these interpretations. Half the year I just want to stay in bed and let the day go by without even knowing what's happening outside

But the majority of us don't make you pariahs. We just accept there's a new order and we're trying to find out new place in it

If this is the impact you feel from comments made in a quite well moderated forum I feel that, given your description of your symptoms, you might be suffering from depression. I would recommend that you consult a psychiatrist. Nothing really has been said here that should impact a person this way.

SinSaber

Given what you believe, those are mutually exclusive. Once you state the bigoted position of the church regarding homosexuality, respect and dignity have flown out of the window. You seem to either not understand that or to reject it, but that won't make it go away or cause people to give you what you want.

If you want to be a soldier for Christ, you have to accept the consequences of expressing ideas that are unpopular among people not of your faith - the verdict of the court of popular opinion.

Then this isn't a country of freedom it's a country of peer pressure

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
To LGBT people, can you stop calling all us christians on the right, and even some on the left, as bigots.

Yeah you're excited for marriage equality, but we just want to be protected just a little bit so we can live within our religious beliefs. It's a deep and spiritual thing for us and telling us that doesn't matter is wrong.

The vast majority of us aren't like those fundamentalist jerks. We DONT believe you should be discriminated in HOUSING EMPLOYMENT OR EVERYDAY SERVICES. When it comes to events we just want to talk it out.

Can we just have some peace, sit down, and talk. Cause if I have to go another day with all this I might just give up everything.

So tell the fundamentalist (and not so fundamentalist) bigots who discriminate and abuse those with different values to them thus giving you a bad name.

Rational Agnostic

I like this post, and I think it brings up a good point, because I know how invested Christians are in their beliefs. Where is the line between freedom of religion and discrimination? I don't know, but personally I'm on the side of the guy who didn't sell his cupcakes to the gay couple in the court case. Obviously I disagree with his action, but I think he has a right to decide what type of events he gives his cakes to. In my opinion it was not discrimination, because he welcomes the gay couple to purchase anything from his store that they want, but because gay marriage is against his religious principles, he simply told them that he will not bake a cake for that particular event.

Skwim

Veteran Member
"All us"? Why are you being so particular? How many non-bigots on the right are required before one shouldn't make such a blanket statement? 1, 2, 350, 51,025? If the shoe doesn't fit don't feel obligated to wear it.

Yeah you're excited for marriage equality, but we just want to be protected just a little bit so we can live within our religious beliefs.
Protected from what?

It's a deep and spiritual thing for us and telling us that doesn't matter is wrong.
Telling you what doesn't matter? That most Christians on the right are bigots? I have to believe that anyone who feels the Christian right is bigoted also feels this should matter to you.

The vast majority of us aren't like those fundamentalist jerks.
So, all fundamentalists are jerks, are they. Not unlike, "all us" Christians on the right are bigots. Seems you have a major disconnect in your thinking here. You don't like to be bundled together with all the bigoted Christians on the right, but have no trouble lumping all fundamentalists into the jerk category.

Why do you invest so much in the opinions of strangers? Are they that important to you? Why?

Here's a bit of unasked for advice
. Obviously there's a substantial number of the Christians on the right who are bigots, why else would the notion arise. So, I suggest all you un-bigoted Christians on the right slap some sense into them. They're giving you good people a bad name and making you feel bad. So take control of your Christian faction and clean it up. It is yours, isn't it?

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Given what you believe, those are mutually exclusive. Once you state the bigoted position of the church regarding homosexuality, respect and dignity have flown out of the window. You seem to either not understand that or to reject it, but that won't make it go away or cause people to give you what you want. If you want to be a soldier for Christ, you have to accept the consequences of expressing ideas that are unpopular among people not of your faith - the verdict of the court of popular opinion.

Then this isn't a country of freedom it's a country of peer pressure

Peer pressure is part of freedom.

Once again, you seem to expect to be free to express your opinions, but call any blow back that those opinions engender a curtailment of your freedom.

What exactly do you want? What I just described?