• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we have sympathy both ways

SinSaber

I am so sorry, but I don't see how you can have it both ways. Either you accept that LGBT lives deserve full respect and dignity, or you do not. You should not expect anyone to feel the duty to protect you from the consequences of your own religious beliefs, nor of the need to challenge those beliefs when they happen to encourage disrespect, bigotry and inhuman behavior.

I don't see how the two are exclusive. And how do you know my beliefs encourage that. Maybe someone will take them and twist them, but my beliefs call for respect and dignity. However, they also call us to state what we believe and try our best to live accordingly. Again, I'm not encourage discrimination in employment or housing or services. I'm simply stating in those precise rare occurrences where we feel we can't move, that we sit and talk.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
He has still provided no sources or examples. So why are you still here?
Feeding the troll

It seems to be more hungry than normal seeing as it is being fed in not one, but TWO threads at the moment.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I don't see how the two are exclusive. And how do you know my beliefs encourage that. Maybe someone will take them and twist them, but my beliefs call for respect and dignity. However, they also call us to state what we believe and try our best to live accordingly. Again, I'm not encourage discrimination in employment or housing or services. I'm simply stating in those precise rare occurrences where we feel we can't move, that we sit and talk.
"rare occurrences"?
Are you claiming it is rare that Christians discriminate against GLBT?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
To LGBT people, can you stop calling all us christians on the right, and even some on the left, as bigots.

Yeah you're excited for marriage equality, but we just want to be protected just a little bit so we can live within our religious beliefs. It's a deep and spiritual thing for us and telling us that doesn't matter is wrong.

The vast majority of us aren't like those fundamentalist jerks. We DONT believe you should be discriminated in HOUSING EMPLOYMENT OR EVERYDAY SERVICES. When it comes to events we just want to talk it out.

Yes it hurts when your told something is a sin when you truly don't believe it is. But it also hurts to be called a bigot when there is truly no hate in your heart.

Can we just have some peace, sit down, and talk. Cause if I have to go another day with all this I might just give up everything.

Why would you tell anyone who is not a Christian that something is a sin?

If you want to be a Christian and accept Christian morals, that's a personal choice. No one should be stopping you from making this personal decision.

At the same time, no one who is not a Christian needs to respect those values.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I wanted to highlight this piece because I think the central message that comes across to me from your post is a very important one. Human relationships are complicated, but in other respects certain elements are remarkably simple. Passing judgement on others - whether it is alleging that non-hetero sexualities are sinful or that those who believe that is the case are bigots - can be hurtful. Opening up a dialogue requires us to move past the hurtful judgements, leave our egos at the door, and listen for a moment.

As simple as that is, it is far easier said than done. We have this asinine saying in our culture that goes "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." The truth is words leave cumulative scars that never go away in ways that often far exceed what any sticks and stones could do to you. People become bitter and resentful, making that suspension of judgement and putting the ego at the door very difficult. Breaking down that barrier requires learning to respect someone in spite of disagreements. That is best done, perhaps, when that best friend you knew for a long time turns out to be something you didn't expect... and the continuing to love them anyway.

Maybe ask ourselves a question: are you capable of maintaining a positive relationship with someone you regard as a bigot? With someone you regard as a sinner? Learning how to do that is a good starting point, I think.

"Maybe ask ourselves a question: are you capable of maintaining a positive relationship with someone you regard as a bigot? With someone you regard as a sinner? Learning how to do that is a good starting point, I think. "

This reminds me of sitting in a bar with my "friends" listening to them all laugh at each other's gay bashing jokes without saying a word.

When you are gay the choice is to either hate everyone or just accept people as they are. I made the choice not to hate people over it a long time ago as that was just too much effort; however, this does not mean that their position is valid or that you should agree or even respect such nonsense. It simply means you are not going to go around hating everyone for it, but I am sure gonna socially shame the heck out of that behavior because it is just long overdue that we move beyond such harmful beliefs. The children of tomorrow should not have to grow up with this homophobic nonsense. So I don't even care if I look like an insensitive *** anymore, there is simply no reason for me to accept their hurtful and limited views, it is high time to move on and if they need a verbal wack on the nose, I don't mind giving it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Here is the thing. Suppose a woman is a sex worker. Say, she goes to a government service for child care or health service, and the Christian govrrnment representative goes into a long harangue about how prostitution is sin. This is sufficient cause for suspension or sensitivity training. When one is representing the government, one cannot when acting in that capacity, express personal views regarding other aspects of the person's life while providing the service. Similarly when one is acting as representative of a corporation whose staff one is.

Of course if a person feels that the the cause for disciplinary action is unjust, she can move against her employer in courts for redress.
Exactly. If I get the DCS job I applied for, it really doesn't matter what I personally think, all that has to be put aside to evaluate what will work for a client, my own personal feelings be damned. Myself, it would be rare for me to encourage someone to seek out a church for support, but if I get that job then knowing that is how many people do find various forms of support (including emotional, financial, and material) I'll likely be suggesting it a lot.
If I get the case manager position with a faith-based company I applied for, then there won't be any room at all for my non-theist and anti-religious views. But, I fully understood that when I clicked the submit button.

He was "fired" for several violations, and it was NOT the government behind it, it was the school, which does not receive government funding.

So your above example, when researched beyond your martyr agenda source, does not support your claims.

Care to try again?

Of course they left out that "filming without permission" charge, they intentionally butchered the grammar of a direct quote and added in (sic) to cover the error they created, and so very obviously only gave us part of the story to make a martyr of the guy who seems more a toolish ******* than anything (such as his comment about the university trying to "castrate strong male voices into submission).

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is my evidence

Student senator faces impeachment for conservative beliefs

But, what's the point of diversity if everyone is forced to lockstep?
Citing a fox news opinion piece as evidence will be very counterproductive in your desire for having a calm and dispassionate discussion. Most of us consider fox news as trash and fake propaganda. The USG undergrad senate is an entirely student run body and it's actions has nothing to do with the government or even the university administration. Finally Jacob faced mild disciplinary action by this student body only as he was the one who invited that Yanapulous guy that caused such a ruckus on campus. He lost the final $250 stipend he got from the student group for his work. That's all.

USG senator has pay suspended, keeps position | Daily Trojan

What this has to do with gay rights etc. I am having difficulty understanding.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This reminds me of sitting in a bar with my "friends" listening them all laugh at each other's gay bashing jokes without saying a word.

When you are gay the choice is to either hate everyone or just accept people as they are. I made the choice not to hate people over it a long time ago as that was just too much effort; however, this does not mean that their position is valid or that you should agree or even respect such nonsense. It simply means you are not going to go around hating everyone for it, but I am sure gonna socially shame the heck out of that behavior because it is just long overdue that we move beyond such harmful beliefs. The children of tomorrow should not have to grow up with this homophobic nonsense. So I don't even care if I look like an insensitive *** anymore, there is simply no reason for me to accept their hurtful and limited views, it is high time to move on and if they need a verbal wack on the nose, I don't mind giving it.
This reminds me of my own experiences. Learning to accept myself, taking steps to be myself, mentally I've went through a huge shift, and whereas I used to just passively take such things, I've become much more outspoken, assertive, and my tolerance for such things has reached zero. It's like I suddenly found my voice, and I will use it to drive out those views that kept it silent for so long.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What this has to do with gay rights etc. I am having difficulty understanding.
Not that the OP necessarily feels this way, but so very often it seems that to many Conservatives, unless we tolerate those views that keep us held back, that keep discrimination alive, that deny us housing and employment, then we, not them who want to legally discriminate and install it as a protect right reserved by the religious, but rather we become the intolerant ones if we won't tolerate views that often times won't even give us an inch, and are so intolerant themselves that they will do "collateral damage" to innocents who have no claims or stakes in the debates, such as foster children who need a home, but suffer anyways because some intolerant moron just cannot stand the sight of two men or two women being in love and having their own family.