• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can All Roads Lead to God?

InChrist

Free4ever
I have never thought the idea that “all roads lead to God or spiritual truth “ made any sense, even before I ever trusted and came to know Jesus as my Savior.
This is not a debate section, so I’m just interested in anyone’s thoughts on the subject?

“Imagine a city where a green light could mean go to some and stop to others. The determining factor as to what a green light meant was up to each individual. What would be the end result? Chaos and catastrophe, and no one would get to where they were attempting to go.

The same is true for the “all roads lead to God” type of thinking. There has to be a universal standard for entering the heavenly kingdom, because contradictory beliefs cannot be a pathway to the same destination. This is why Jesus made it clear to the disciples on multiple occasions that the only way to heaven is through Him.“

Appealing And Inclusive Lies: Why All Roads Can't Lead To The Truth

Watchmen

Premium Member
Also, traffic lights will be obsolete someday, so whoever you quoted made an apt comparison.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Perhaps it ought to be in a debate section, but this really depends on what "God" is. Your god? No, all roads do not lead there. Oneness with the divine? More closer to the mark.

I've once compared faiths (religions) to paths up a mountain; all have - more or less - the same goal; getting to the summit (i.e. oneness with the divine/spiritual). Some paths are paved, some rough and wild. Some are easier, some are harder. Some chose no path at all, and climb wild up the side. And still yet others choose not to climb at all for reasons that are their own. No path is necessarily better than the other, and all serve the purpose of those who choose to walk or climb them, with our gods as our guides.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have never thought the idea that “all roads lead to God or spiritual truth “ made any sense, even before I ever trusted and came to know Jesus as my Savior.
This is not a debate section, so I’m just interested in anyone’s thoughts on the subject?

“Imagine a city where a green light could mean go to some and stop to others. The determining factor as to what a green light meant was up to each individual. What would be the end result? Chaos and catastrophe, and no one would get to where they were attempting to go.

The same is true for the “all roads lead to God” type of thinking. There has to be a universal standard for entering the heavenly kingdom, because contradictory beliefs cannot be a pathway to the same destination. This is why Jesus made it clear to the disciples on multiple occasions that the only way to heaven is through Him.“

From my beliefs POV, the sentence does not make sense. It like saying " Do all roads lead to earth?" All roads are on earth only! But some roads can provide you with a better understanding of what earth is (like going to a mountain or a seaside where you can see the vastness and richness of the planet) while others can simply make you go round in circles. But nevertheless, all roads remain on earth, and what you experience...whatever you experience.... is earth only.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I mean… I think it depends on the destination.

I once asked a Rabbi how he would feel if his children became Muslim, or Christian. He said he would be happy for them, that they found another path to God. This was eye opening for me, at the time. I understand there are people within the Abrahamic religions who do not believe that, and I completely understand why… but I do share his view that those religions specifically provide “paths to God”. By that, I mean the Biblical God. The Abrahamic God. I completely approve of those paths.

There are religious perspectives where the objective is more about the journey in this life, with the ultimate destination being our own greatest dreams and ambitions. While that would vary from person to person- ranging from mundane to extreme- it can still be said that their path is a navigation tool guiding them forward towards what they desire most to experience, and aspire most to be. I completely approve of this.

Death is a destination we are all guaranteed to experience. I do not know what happens in death. It is fascinating to contemplate… but it could be so many things. Or nothing. I embrace my God(s) in the here and now, in my own Way, and focus on this life. My Will, the Will of my God(s), the Will of those I care about, is what matters most to me. The spiritual-religious system I have developed for myself helps me live how I Will to live and become who I Will to become. My ultimate destination exists not only in the future, but in this moment. I am who I Will to be… but there is so much more left to accomplish.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I believe that saying is not being quoted by your source correctly. The correct quote, which comes from a 14th century Zen poet monk, is, "Many paths lead from the foot of the mountain, but at the peak we all gaze at the single bright moon." It does not say "all paths". It says "many". And this I do believe is truth.

There is no one-size fits all path. Not all people are trying to reach Chicago coming from Indianapolis, some coming from New York, others from Bismarck. Clearly, there are different roads different people must travel. We don't all start at the same geographical location. So therefore, there may be different requirements, such as driving through the mountains, or across a desert.

But most clearly not "all roads" will lead to God. There are many roads that lead to destruction. Some take you into Death Valley instead of Chicago. Hate is not a road that leads to God. Envy is not a road that leads to God. Negative outlooks on life do not lead to God. Lying pathologically is no a road that leads you to God, and so forth.

But those who wish to find God, will, if their hearts are true and are willing to make that journey. The path up the side of the mountain for them, may be different than it is for someone else, but at the peak, they all gaze at that single bright moon.

So no, all roads can't lead to God. But yes, there is more than just one path to God. Each person has a different path they have to take, which may be through a different religion, or through none. But the Destination is the same.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
“Imagine a city where a green light could mean go to some and stop to others.

That's the mistake in your premise. I have found in all the major revealed and some others that I have studied that "green" means "green". Some such as Kabir and Hazrat Inayat Khan have expressed this. The later in his "Salat" prayer:

Most gracious Lord, Master, Messiah, and Saviour of humanity,
We greet Thee in all humility.
Thou art the First Cause and the Last Effect, the Divine Light and the Spirit of Guidance, Alpha and Omega.
Thy Light is in all forms, Thy love in all beings:
in a loving mother, in a kind father, in an innocent child, in a helpful friend, in an inspiring teacher.
Allow us to recognize Thee in all Thy holy names and forms:
as Rama, as Krishna, as Shiva, as Buddha.
Let us know Thee as Abraham, as Solomon, as Zarathushtra, as Moses, as Jesus, as Mohammed, and in many other names and forms, known and unknown to the world...

Rabbi Rami Shapiro said the same thing in a very different way but the essence is the same:
“To me, religions are like languages: no language is true or false; all languages are of human origin; each language reflects and shapes the civilization that speaks it; there are things you can say in one language that you cannot say as well in another; and the more languages you learn, the more nuanced your understanding of life. Judaism is my mother tongue yet in matters of the spirit I strive to be multilingual. In the end, however, the deepest language of the soul is silence.”

rational experiences

Veteran Member
The father of man in science is heard as transmitted AI voice speaking records as a man's God thesis of men owning biology.

Says if all paths lead to God. A man builds a machine takes paths of earths dusts into hell burning melt first. By his thoughts.

Then he produces man inventors God his machine.

Men they claim I want my machine to live. It must work mechanical by itself like my body does.

I instruct it. Design. Yet as biology just a man not a God I must still control it. Machine isn't a God.

So man displaced life. Puts machine by his side.

In natural...heavens mass is by his side.
Single organisms in water mass is by his side.
Women human by his side.
Baby human children by his side.

Not gods.

He wants bio life to be the same paths as machines life electricity in machines womb to be born. Yet life electricity he already invented. Says why I'm a man machine god. Exact reason.

Womb is empty machine...no machines God baby birth of magical electricity.

Hence do you stand inside machine as baby man biology theist adult and have a wank... put sperm into womb machine?

No says a humans man Inventor a false God thought theme...what a "wanker" a colliqusim of man's means.

Inference how a man invents as man thinker scientist by his body presence as a man biology cell owner beyond self...sperm.

To say I'm pretending a machine is a human baby cell electricity.

Mr machine man.

Is in life a Human baby to man a father's life continuance a path to his God machines carbon birth beginnings?

No he says. I don't want carbon as sperm.

Yet he theories as that man a human man body exact type owner that he was. Inventing from man's biologies owned paths.

By intentions my machine is by my side now my life partner.

Father said it's why he now has intercourse with robots.

Gods terms by men's thoughts his own.

Man life with woman human. Exact. No pre story.

Garden nature did exist exact. You human cannot talk about it otherwise.
Animals did exist.
Two human parents existed on God earth...no story. It is the story.

Only baby man was not present in gods earth story.

No machine.

No machine means no theory either.

Pretty basic accept earth our planet is God and no human theory ever existed about a pre existing human. As you became your human parent reborn said advice...proof they never went anywhere...still lying.

As they had died. But when you teach a human theist some taboo topics were used. You are your own dead human parent you know...W....r.

And you'd be correct.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

John 14:2

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you.

The conflict is only with regard to the social laws. But the spiritual truths of all religions are one.

For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love. This is an unalterable law. (Buddha v5 Dhammapada)

In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love (Baha’u’llah)

All the major religions teach the same basic spiritual virtues so we cannot honestly say that one world religion is superior to another.

E59FDA69-F0AF-4D74-8F5A-64E7DFF1B7FD.jpeg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Man built a machine a radio to be the receiver.
I wish the language barrier with you wasn't so difficult as you could make some very good conversations @rational experiences .

But I wonder myself if there could be a type of 'transmission' 'reciever' like our cells have within our own bodies that can be replicated on a larger scale.

It's a nice philosophical thought experiment.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Maybe if we changed that saying to saying "All roads lead to Jesus"?

So, let's say that the road I am taking is the road of "works to make me perfect" and I set up a good set of laws to reach God. But as I set up the law I realize that the more laws I have the more I miss perfectness This ultimately leads me to "There has to be a better way because my perfectness isn't hacking it" and I realize that Jesus is the answer.

Or maybe I believe, "I must be born again and again and again" until I can be perfect wherein I realize to be perfect I still have to be perfect.... pointing me to a better way, Jesus.

Or I must eliminate all earthly desires and as I try to eliminate it I realize there is always one more thing I have to deal with in me and realize, "there must be a better way"... leading me to Jesus.

Maybe all roads lead to the summit mountain of Jesus and the Cross (obviously within the viewpoint of my signature)

Last edited:

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

I believe that all “roads” lead to God, because there is nothing but God at the end of any “road”.

No “road” is truly exactly the same and some “roads” certainly seem harder (more painful) than others.

Yet, there is that Christian saying that walking the “narrow path”, rather than the common, “beaten track”, may in the end be more spiritually rewarding (here, we may wish to remember that the payoffs for humility, are always invisible to the arrogant).

Humbly
Hermit

exchemist

Veteran Member

Anyone who has travelled and encountered different religions cannot fail to be struck by features they have in common (care for others, control of bodily urges, asceticism and monasticism, afterlife etc), even though their detailed doctrines are quite different. Yet so many of them seem to claim that their way is the only way. On what basis, then, can one decide that one is true and all the others must be totally false?

In my case it was time in the Middle East, and visiting Buddhist temples in Thailand, that made me ask these questions. The only rational answers I came up with are that either all of them are groping towards the same understanding - "Now we see through a glass, darkly." as St. Paul says - or all religions are merely human constructs, resulting from a common psychological and sociological urge in humanity.

What is obviously absurd is to say because my holy book says my religion is the correct one, then all the others must be quite wrong, even though their holy books say that theirs is true!

Last edited: