• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can All Roads Lead to God?

PearlSeeker

I have never thought the idea that “all roads lead to God or spiritual truth “ made any sense, even before I ever trusted and came to know Jesus as my Savior.
This is not a debate section, so I’m just interested in anyone’s thoughts on the subject?

“Imagine a city where a green light could mean go to some and stop to others. The determining factor as to what a green light meant was up to each individual. What would be the end result? Chaos and catastrophe, and no one would get to where they were attempting to go.

The same is true for the “all roads lead to God” type of thinking. There has to be a universal standard for entering the heavenly kingdom, because contradictory beliefs cannot be a pathway to the same destination. This is why Jesus made it clear to the disciples on multiple occasions that the only way to heaven is through Him.“

Appealing And Inclusive Lies: Why All Roads Can't Lead To The Truth
It depends on what you mean by "lead to God".

If you think path of happiness, inner peace, good character... in this life then I think there are many paths, religious and non-religious.

If you think going to heaven after death then I don't know. There may be heaven/hell, reincarnation, nothing. Only death is certain. If there is any judgement that decides our final destination then I don't think believing in Jesus' sacrifice will be relevant. It matters who you are in your heart.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
You don't have to tell me about the Bible. I used to be a Christian. And may understand it better than you do. Yes, Jesus said that. Jesus also used all sorts of literary tools. So he could have been saying something like "She is as old as the hills." Now if someone says that that person is clearly not lying. He or she is simply using metaphor to indicate a great age. Why couldn't Jesus have been using metaphor? Or are you going back to your belief that God is a liar?

You weren't the right kind of Christian though, SZ. ;) That's the problem, see. :p

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I have never thought the idea that “all roads lead to God or spiritual truth “ made any sense, even before I ever trusted and came to know Jesus as my Savior.
This is not a debate section, so I’m just interested in anyone’s thoughts on the subject?

“Imagine a city where a green light could mean go to some and stop to others. The determining factor as to what a green light meant was up to each individual. What would be the end result? Chaos and catastrophe, and no one would get to where they were attempting to go.

The same is true for the “all roads lead to God” type of thinking. There has to be a universal standard for entering the heavenly kingdom, because contradictory beliefs cannot be a pathway to the same destination. This is why Jesus made it clear to the disciples on multiple occasions that the only way to heaven is through Him.“

Since it is all belief and not fact, why can't people seeking comfort all get there by whatever means helps them? We are not all the same.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
FYI, there is no basic difference between our thinking and those of apes and chimps. Food, sex are important for them (and to other animals as well), they are important for us also. That is how evolution works for survival of species.It is difficult to live just on leaves, fruits and veg. We will have to eat 10 times than what we eat now to get the necessary proteins, and that is what many herbivores do, eat prodigious amounts of what they eat. All their time is consumed in that. Eating flesh freed more time to us. Nuts, beans and legumes also have better protein value, grains are a bit low on that.
LOL, thanks for the laugh tonight...lolol...

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
You don't have to tell me about the Bible. I used to be a Christian. And may understand it better than you do. Yes, Jesus said that. Jesus also used all sorts of literary tools. So he could have been saying something like "She is as old as the hills." Now if someone says that that person is clearly not lying. He or she is simply using metaphor to indicate a great age. Why couldn't Jesus have been using metaphor? Or are you going back to your belief that God is a liar?
As far as being a Christian, as you well know there are variants of sects calling themselves part of the Christian fold. Obviously not all are the same and not all agree.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As far as being a Christian, as you well know there are variants of sects calling themselves part of the Christian fold. Obviously not all are the same and not all agree.
Correct. Not all of them think that God is a liar. Apparently you do. And you seem to be okay with that. I was wondering why.

ajay0

Sri Ramakrishna was a Hindu enlightened sage who experimented with hinduism along with other religions, and came to the conclusion that all religions lead to the same goal, as he had the same spiritual experiences in other religions as well, which he gained in Hinduism.

But yes, for some, karmically speaking, there would be certain paths they should go through due to past life practices. It would make sense for that person to continue the path he followed in his past lives, leading faster and easier to success, rather than an absolutely new path where progress will be incremental and painstaking.

InChrist

Free4ever
Since it is all belief and not fact, why can't people seeking comfort all get there by whatever means helps them? We are not all the same.
If us was all belief not based on any kind of reality, then I suppose it wouldn’t matter where one gets comfort. Yet, I think one’s comfort, especially concerning eternal matters is best found when based in truth. So when deciding where to place belief I consider reasonable evidence to be vital.
Just my thoughts.

InChrist

Free4ever
Could be. That might lead to dropping the religion.

But seriously, there are many Christians that do not make the mistake of making a false idol out of the Bible. The literalists are a minority. It only seems that they are a majority due to all of the noise that they make.
Revering the Bible is not making the scriptures an idol. That’s impossible. Anyone who knows God, values His Word...
...The grass withers, the flower fades,
But the word of our God stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Revering the Bible is not making the scriptures an idol. That’s impossible. Anyone who knows God, values His Word...
...The grass withers, the flower fades,
But the word of our God stands forever. Isaiah 40:8
It is if one does it to excess. If one claims that God is a liar by doing so that would appear to be making a false idol of the Bible.

By the way, the Bible is very vague about "the word of God" It can never mean the Bible if one understands the verses being used.

InChrist

Free4ever
It is if one does it to excess. If one claims that God is a liar by doing so that would appear to be making a false idol of the Bible.

By the way, the Bible is very vague about "the word of God" It can never mean the Bible if one understands the verses being used.
You are free to your view, though I think it’s incorrect.
I don’t consider the Bible vague about being God’s Word(s). And it is impossible for God to lie.

...Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect and the acknowledgment of the truth which accords with godliness, 2 in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began, 3 but has in due time manifested His word through preaching, which was committed to me according to the commandment of God our Savior..
Titus 1:1-3

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You are free to your view, though I think it’s incorrect.
I don’t consider the Bible vague about being God’s Word(s). And it is impossible for God to lie.

...Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect and the acknowledgment of the truth which accords with godliness, 2 in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began, 3 but has in due time manifested His word through preaching, which was committed to me according to the commandment of God our Savior..
Titus 1:1-3
You may believe that my view is incorrect, but I can demonstrate that it is correct. Knowledge trumps mere belief. Why are creationists all so afraid to learn? Your fear tells us that you know that you are probably wrong no matter how brave a face that you try to put on it.

As I have said before, when I was a Christian I did not believe in a lying God so I did not take Genesis literally. The fact that Genesis is myth is not why I became an atheist.

InChrist

Free4ever
You may believe that my view is incorrect, but I can demonstrate that it is correct. Knowledge trumps mere belief. Why are creationists all so afraid to learn? Your fear tells us that you know that you are probably wrong no matter how brave a face that you try to put on it.

As I have said before, when I was a Christian I did not believe in a lying God so I did not take Genesis literally. The fact that Genesis is myth is not why I became an atheist.
Since this is not a debate section I don’t think we should get onto to subject of creation or into an argument about it. I don’t know why you’d think I am fearful though because there’s no fear in the love of Christ (1 John 4:18).
As I previously said, I don’t believe in a lying Creator either since it is impossible for God to lie. So if you did not become an atheist due to disbelief in the Genesis account, then why did you become an atheist? Share, if you want to.

InChrist

Free4ever
How do you know that the Bhagavad Gita is not "His Word"? Ever read it?

Another day maybe we can discuss this, thus no need to respond.
That is a valid question and I read it years ago. I thought it came across as mythical. I didn’t get the sense it was factual information from a God who created the universe; no real historical context or archaeological support. Just a few thoughts.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That is a valid question and I read it years ago. I thought it came across as mythical. I didn’t get the sense it was factual information from a God who created the universe; no real historical context or archaeological support. Just a few thoughts.
It's meant to be taken symbolically. and interpretations often do vary. Same with the Book of Revelation, btw.