1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Baha'i and Messengers

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Policy, Jan 12, 2022 at 9:47 PM.

1. Policy

Policy Active Member

Ratings:
    +198
    Religion:
    none
    I understand. You are making a logical contradiction, and either unable or unwilling to acknowledge that fact.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Policy

Policy Active Member

Ratings:
    +198
    Religion:
    none
    So, this needs some unpacking. Your implication is that I must be unbiased in order to see the answers you think I should see. I don't. I can have a conclusion, and as long as I am wiling to reevaluate that conclusion for flaws in reasoning, or to discard it in the favor of contradicting evidence, that is all that is needed. Do you disagree?.

Do you imagine that of all the strongly held positions that I have had over the course of my life that no one has ever convinced me that I was wrong? Of course they have. And how did they do it? By showing me that my reasoning was unsound, or by presenting evidence that disconfirmed my position.

BTW, a belief in God was one of my strongly held positions.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Policy

Policy Active Member

Ratings:
    +198
    Religion:
    none
    For an intelligent being with a goal of having me believe that they exist, those are the only two options. Unable or unwilling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. firedragon

firedragon Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,668
    Religion:
    Islam
    Errr. Nope. that's a Childs false dichotomy.

Maybe he knows better. Who are you to know better?

5. Seeker of White Light

Seeker of White Light Think before you speak....so stay silent.

Ratings:
    +17,495
    Religion:
    Sufism
    I speak only from my understanding of the topic in discussion here, as I always do in RF

6. loverofhumanity

loverofhumanity Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,506
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    God chooses Whoever He wishes to be His Representative on earth in each age.

• Winner Winner x 3
  7. Policy

Policy Active Member

Ratings:
    +198
    Religion:
    none
    In exactly the same way that Circe shows up to say hello to every generation -- thru the mythologies of the ancient worlds.

8. Seeker of White Light

Seeker of White Light Think before you speak....so stay silent.

Ratings:
    +17,495
    Religion:
    Sufism
    I don't think you should or should not see anything. What spiritual people experience is different from person to person according to what level of understanding and wisdom they have realised.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mikkel_the_dane

mikkel_the_dane Shadow Wolf's Aspie sibling

Ratings:
    +2,631
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    I was never as a religious person. I am still a culture Christian in some sense, but my religion when I had one, was culture and not really faith. I only got faith as a strong skeptic.

10. Policy

Policy Active Member

Ratings:
    +198
    Religion:
    none
    Whoa! A direct response with no hedging. Be still my heart! Thank you, very much.*

What are a few of the things that it would contradict?

*And if you wonder, there is no sarcasm in this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,437
    Religion:
    None
    The either / or supposition couldvalso use some unpacking.

12. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,041
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    I'm looking for an answer to why many theists refuse to examine why they are so absorbed in religious belief. Theists have an itch they keep scratching, but don't look to understand why they are itchy.

Honesty, after they introspect their own nature as a theist.

It's like studying which tool to use to scratch your itch. Theists don't consider why they have this itch at all, and spending time trying to find the most satisfying way to scratch is what is important.

You seem to think everyone is equally itchy. No, not everyone has this problem.

I offer theists, like yourself, every opportunity to explain why you believe in religious concepts. Theists are getting more vague, and offer shorter replies. When there is a long reply it tends to repeat dogma, which isn't an answer.

The fundamental dilemma for believers is that they don't examine their own psychological motives and reasons to believe. With so many thousands of options for religious belief, has it occurred to you that there is no actual and final truth, and it is just a matter of dogma that satisfied the personality of the believer, which further is motivated by evolved traits?

I see theists need to apply some religious framework to their lives to feel significant. But I don't see many examine their nature as evolved animals so they understand WHY they are motivated to believe at all. That natural element is crucial to a search for truth. Just finding some dogma that soothes anxiety only masks the problem of the natural and feral mind.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,437
    Religion:
    None
    First its coz the sun would burn me up.
    Considering all the " prophets" there have been, all getting " messages" that contradict eachother with no evidence any of them
    is not fake, I say the phrasing is off.

"Whoever so wishes will claim to be a messenger"

THAT statement is abundantly evidenced.
    Your statement has zero evidence.

Where does the sensible person make his bet?

14. Policy

Policy Active Member

Ratings:
    +198
    Religion:
    none
    Your god is depicted as being omnipotent. So, yes.

15. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,041
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    Am I wrong about Baha'i not having a way to test whether a Messenger is authentic? The three Baha'i that post here have not explained the objective process that can verify a Messenger is authentic. So perhaps you can prove me wrong by proving this list, and giving us a demonstration of how flawless it is.

It better be damned flawless, after all we are testing whether an ordinary, fallible mortal is actually a Messenger of God, and not just another religious crackpot making a bunch of unverifiable claims.

Show show us. Prove me wrong.

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,437
    Religion:
    None
    Well said.
    If i may summarize-
    We dont all have a God shaped hole.

17. mikkel_the_dane

mikkel_the_dane Shadow Wolf's Aspie sibling

Ratings:
    +2,631
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    No, some of us overdo evidence and rationality. But both holes are natural.

18. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,041
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    If I tell you there is an orange on the table, you can look and verify I'm correct.

If I tell you my version of God exists, how do you verify that? Do you just accept what I say and don't question it?

Do you blindly accept what I say and then go tell other people what I told you? That is how religion works, the next generation mimics the claims of the older generation.

19. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,801
    Religion:
    None
    Occam's razor infers a much simpler explanation.

20. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,801
    Religion:
    None
    If it helps I don't believe I anyone can suffer anything after they die. so chill and just live your life. In fact focus all your efforts and avoiding and preventing unnecessary suffering in this life, and it is the only one we have any objective evidence for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1