1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Baha'i and Messengers

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Policy, Jan 12, 2022 at 9:47 PM.

1. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,041
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    As far as social influence, if there is a community of elders that believe a certain version of God exists, and some young people are not sure it exists, they will suffer more and more pressure to adopt the idea of the community God.

The Asch study is famous as a prime example of how people will conform to the norms of those around them EVEN if the self knows their own preference is correct.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/asch-conformity.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Policy

Policy Active Member

Ratings:
    +198
    Religion:
    none
    That would fall under the 'incapable' prong of the dilemma. :cool:

3. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,801
    Religion:
    None
    That's just another no true Scotsman fallacy sorry. Also opening your heart sound pretty fatal to me. Can you demonstrate any objective evidence that supports your claim, that a deity has contacted anyone?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sheldon

Ratings:
    +1,801
    Religion:
    None
    Yes, I am always bemused when apologists try to claim an evolved ape is more culpable, than an omnipotent omniscient creator deity is, for the outcome of its creation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,041
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    Which means you can't even be sure if your version of God exists, if any exist at all, yes?

If you aren't a God yourself, you could be mistaken in what you believe.

6. Sheldon

Ratings:
    +1,801
    Religion:
    None
    More to the point, why on earth would anyone believe it? The idea humans could ever be more culpable for any outcome at all, than an omnipotent omniscient deity if it existed, is an absurd rationale.

7. Seeker of White Light

Seeker of White Light Think before you speak....so stay silent.

Ratings:
    +17,495
    Religion:
    Sufism
    First part : theists become all consumed with the teaching and faith become that is how dedicated one have to be to realise Gods truth.

Second: speaking only for my own way of spiritual practice, I scratch my head every day to understand how everything are co-existence and how to understand God in all of this chaotic world.

Third, I believe because how I experience life through the practice, how God holds everything together. I dont understand it all, and it make me want to gain Gods wisdom from within. To become like God in Gods wisdom.

Fourth : the more I study the less of "me/ego/self exist, and the less of "me" there is the more Gods wisdom can be seen for a practitioner.

8. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,041
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    So you can't even be sure if the God you believe exists is real or imaginary. thus you have more confusion and self-doubt. This way of thinking deepens the uncertainty, and makes the religious search less effective. It is a learned trap.

And what test does the fallen and fallible person, like yourself, have available to discern authentic from imagined messages? Couldn't the self deceive the self if it is very hungry for the truth, and not it has deceived the self?

How do you solve this while in a spiritual crisis as you often confess to on these forums?

9. Seeker of White Light

Ratings:
    +17,495
    Religion:
    Sufism
    @Sheldon you are free to believe or disbelieve anything you like, I am not trying to convince anyone. I only speak from my current understanding of spiritual lifestyle.

10. Seeker of White Light

Ratings:
    +17,495
    Religion:
    Sufism
    It is a belief in God, not a scientific way of life. I understand more and more, but God is not easy to fully understand

11. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,041
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    And why is the new believer convinced what they are told is true? And who told the previous generation it was true?

As I noted, you are so busy scratching you are distracted WHY you are itchy in the first place. Here you back up what I stated, and seem to have missed that challenge.

And who told you all this is correct, true, a sound approach for your mind to adopt and use? Have you considered that your struggling is because what you adopted isn't what your mind actually needs?

That doesn't seem to be demonstrated in your posts. Any time you are challenged to look beyond your beliefs you retreat further into them like a frightened kitten.

Could it be there is a part of you that sees the folly in all this religious dogma, but your ego is so attached to the belief that there is an inner conflict? You lay it all out for us to see on these forums like you invite some suggestion from others. You're not presenting a case of success as a believer, but a person with serious doubts.

12. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,041
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    To "understand God" means to be less rational. This can only create more inner conflict as the ego wants to hold on to the concepts, but the intellect understands it is wrong. Fear tends to win these battles, and belief gets reinforced.

13. Seeker of White Light

Ratings:
    +17,495
    Religion:
    Sufism
    I have only one answer to you or others who ask.
    Because I believe in God, it is not important for me to prove to others that "my belief is right" for any other person.
    I dont practice spiritual lifestyle for anyone else than to be United with God.

I have no desire to convince anyone that I believe "the right way" and others are "wrong"

People can believe or disbelieve anything they like.

14. loverofhumanity

loverofhumanity Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,506
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    All the Messengers of God teach the same eternal truths. Only Their social laws differ as they were revealed to suit the needs of the people in each age.

Christ = love thy neighbour

Muhammad = love thy country

Baha’u’llah = love all humanity

See how wonderfully they reveal laws according to the development, evolution and progress of humanity. The law of love has never changed only widened to embrace all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. loverofhumanity

loverofhumanity Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,506
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    God is omnipotent but we are not God just mere mortals. The Souls of the Prophets of God are pre-existent and we’re specially prepared to be able to sustain a Revelation from God.

Verily, were God the Exalted to appear in His (proper) grade and form, and in a manner befitting His Station, no one could ever approach Him or endure to be near Him. (Baha’u’llah)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,929
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    Why not just ask a Baha'i rather that debating it?

• Like Like x 1
  17. mikkel_the_dane

mikkel_the_dane Shadow Wolf's Aspie sibling

Ratings:
    +2,631
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    Yeah, the same has happen with other aspects of culture also as science and philosophy as parts of culture.

18. InvestigateTruth

InvestigateTruth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,568
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I never heard that before. Bahai scriptures says the Messengers are given proof. Bahaullah says, how could God aend a Messenger and expect all people of earth to believe and obey a Messenger, but does not provide any proofs so that people can ensure He is a Messenger of God.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dawnofhope

Dawnofhope Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,397
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    For Baha'is one of the ways we can reliably come to know God and His Purpose for us is through His Messengers. With the major world religions, particularly the Abrahamic Faiths, we have written records of what some Messengers have taught. That includes the Torah, The Gospel, Quran and more recently the Baha'i Revelation. These sacred scriptures are considered authoritative and to varying degrees authentic. Baha'is see the Baha'i Writings as the most reliable as Muslims, Christians and Jews would view their respective scriptures. So the question is in part theological. Do Baha'is consider you and I as Manifestations of God, comparable to Moses, Jesus and Muhammad? Do Muslims regard everyone as Prophets? They do not. Do Christians consider all as equals to No! Jesus? Clearly not. Would Jews consider our words in the same light as what God Revealed through Moses? Such a comparison would be unthinkable.

We may not agree on the existence of God and the merits or otherwise of some Founders of the World Religions. What we might be able to agree on, is what the Sacred books actually teach. Of the Manifestations of God, the Baha'i Writings teach:

Manifestations of God | Revelation | God and His Creation | What Bahá’ís Believe

20. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,437
    Religion:
    None
    Agreeing with none of that i will just point out that by this the only messengers who really were Messengers are ones who said what you
    have decided is the real message.