• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheists

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
To make religious people miserable while I convert them, obviously. We're all evil like that.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have just 30 questions before I become an athiest . So without wasting much of time please answer my first question Lord Atheist where the **** is the seat of consciousness ?
First, we don't really even understand what consciousness is. Psychologists and neurologists know It can be different in different people, and how a hedgehog conceives reality is anyone's guess.

Most, I think would say somewhere in the brain.
The brain does seem to mediate it, as changes in the organ cause changes in consciousness.
Me, I'm attracted to the idea of a single, pervasive, field of consciousness our brains somehow tap into, as houses tap into mains electricity. I know of no empirical evidence of this, though, so I leave it on the shelf.

As for why an atheist would join a religious forum, why do people listen to TED talks, go to museums, read magazines and newspapers, watch documentaries and news shows on TV? Some people just like ideas, and RF is full of ideas.
Religion has been a major political force for centuries. It shapes people's lives. The only people not interested in it are often the religious themselves, who have their faith and don't want to be bothered with inconvenient, alternative ideas.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
no. you are right. maybe i should say ''irreligious''.

I can't speak for everybody, but there may be a few in my situation that can relate as I used to be a theist now turned atheist.

I guess part of it lies with my continuing fascination as to how people can believe things strictly on a provisional unsupported basis like I used to. I can partially understand why, considering my tenure as a theist.

I understand naivety too, as theism usually starts out with the type of allure and mystique that brings such beliefs to life through things like , communal gatherings, fellowship, and storytelling that gives it substance. I ran to theism because it offered a refuge or an oasis to retreat from my perceptions of a indifferent and empty existence for which I perceived as a curse, making it easier for me to believe in Gods and deities.

I view forums as a hodgepodge of ideas and exchanges of information. Religious forums are really no different, and remain just as interesting as those who don't deal with religion.

I still find religious oriented subjects interesting for discussion and debate.

gnomon

I have just 30 questions before I become an athiest . So without wasting much of time please answer my first question Lord Atheist where the **** is the seat of consciousness ?

30 questions? So specific.

As far as your first question.......when the various religious figures discover that......we'll get back with you.

But understand....we don't have a strong recruiting branch.

edit: Sorry.....you had another 29 questions that no one cares about? Get back with you on that......never.

Thus your time has been spared.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
why atheists bother to join a religious forum?
Atheists don't have a lot to say to each other, since the whole conversation is over in a few seconds:

A: There are no gods.

B: Right on.

A: Nice weather ...

So they come to forums.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
At the risk of oversimplification, because haters gotta hate-hate-hate-hate.

So who is the hateful one here? It's you. What you risked was more than oversimplification. You risked revealing your bigotry against atheists again and being called on it again.

As I mentioned earlier, one reason to be here is to see theists being themselves in a way that they often can't elsewhere when dealing with people such as family or coworkers that they know and interact with in other ways, where revealing such bigotries might have repercussions beyond a reply on RF.

What you call hate is merely people like me pointing out your bigotry and you incredible lack of insight for hatefully calling an entire class of people haters.

It's been an education. This is where I come to see what effect faith has on people's intelligence and character.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
why atheists bother to join a religious forum?
Because it is interesting to figure out the reasoning, evidence and thoughts behind religious beliefs. This forum is not just a religious forum though. Maybe you are new, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but a large part of this site is non-religious debates.

Skwim

Veteran Member
At the risk of oversimplification, because haters gotta hate-hate-hate-hate.

DDbJbjlVoAAPdVC.jpg

DavidFirth

Latest researched "indicates" the rostral dorsolateral pontine tegmentum in the brain stem

Hope that helps.

More recent research revealed it is actually in the:

The coccyx (/ˈkɒksɪks/ KOK-siks; plural: coccyges or coccyxes), commonly referred to as the tailbone, is the final segment of the vertebral column in humans and apes, and certain other mammals such as horses. In animals with bony tails, it is known as tailhead or dock, in bird anatomy as tailfan. It comprises three to five separate or fused coccygeal vertebrae below the sacrum, attached to the sacrum by a fibrocartilaginous joint, the sacrococcygeal symphysis, which permits limited movement between the sacrum and the coccyx.

Coccyx - Wikipedia

:D