• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheists

Altfish

Veteran Member
It was sarcasm but um why? I don't frequent forums where atheists are. I have no purpose there. Although I consider myself agnostic-theist, why would I frequent where my spiritual beliefs don't align with the majority?
This thread is called Atheism.
There are sections called non-belief
There are many, many atheists on here and I live in a country where non-believers are in the majority.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
This thread is called Atheism.
There are sections called non-belief
There are many, many atheists on here and I live in a country where non-believers are in the majority.

True but I am challenging your notion of the benefit being on a site frequented by theists. I believe in a deity that you find has no scientific plausibility. Beyond that what more could you learn? Most atheists I know who are intellectuals do not frequent sites that deal with ghosts, goblins, and spirits.

I give people of LHP and pass cause I kinda get their views on the metaphysical. But average atheists..

Altfish

Veteran Member
True but I am challenging your notion of the benefit being on a site frequented by theists. I believe in a deity that you find has no scientific plausibility. Beyond that what more could you learn? Most atheists I know who are intellectuals do not frequent sites that deal with ghosts, goblins, and spirits.

I give people of LHP and pass cause I kinda get their views on the metaphysical. But average atheists..
I frequent here because I am allowed to.
I also believe that it is essential there are people on here who are able to correct what many theists incorrectly think about atheists and non-belief.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't frequent forums where atheists are.

You don't? Who do you think that you are posting to now.

And why did you choose to participate in a thread called "atheists" started by an atheist?

Although I consider myself agnostic-theist, why would I frequent where my spiritual beliefs don't align with the majority?

If you're an agnostic theist, you are in a minority in RF.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I frequent here because I am allowed to.
I also believe that it is essential there are people on here who are able to correct what many theists incorrectly think about atheists and non-belief.

"Correct other theists in a way that makes you comfortable."

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
You don't? Who do you think that you are posting to now.

And why did you choose to participate in a thread called "atheists" started by an atheist?

If you're an agnostic theist, you are in a minority in RF.

I posted here because no atheist in this thread did not stipulate rules thqt I could not. Doesn't change the fact atheists still gravitate towards theists.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
No. It is unbelievable the number of misconceptions theists have about atheists.
  • Where do we get morality from.
  • We hate god.
  • We've never tried to find god
  • etc
  • etc

But this theist doesn't care about those stereotypes. Hey theists get the same....

1) delusional

2) Irrational

3) illogical

Etc

Altfish

Veteran Member
But this theist doesn't care about those stereotypes. Hey theists get the same....

1) delusional

2) Irrational

3) illogical

Etc
Good, but you recognise them Hence the reason we are on here, which was the point of our discussion in the first place.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Because what can you learn from others whose beliefs you completely disagree with? Post #60 offers the best possible answer.
I think I learn a lot more from people who I completely disagree with than people I completely agree with.
Though completely disagree with might be a stretch. I haven't found a theist yet I didn't have some common ground with.

Besides, just because I personally don't believe in god(s) doesn't mean I can't be interested in how religious (theist or otherwise) beliefs impact history, art, literature, philosophy, or even how one may approach a given subject.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
my atheism is merely the recognition that things are far from perfect. it's liberating to know that you are on your own to be free to improve upon everything, and to not live someone's ideals of heaven and hell.

just to breathe air and know reality is what you alone make of it. and that others aren't perfect either.

with God comes the burden of always being right. wrongs are a part of reality too. if there were no error, no mistakes, no wrongs, we'd never find better. perfection comes from practice, very few things are absolute. crushing ideals only lead to dissapointment.

there are only a few absolutes of morality. do no evil; that which is never justifiable. and the rest is up to you.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I know I'm late to this party and my quote isn't miraculous, but atheists can join a religious forum to discuss the pros and cons of atheism just like there are pros and cons to everything else.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

1) delusional

2) Irrational

3) illogical

Etc
One of the big reasons I stay these days is out of a hope that these things aren't true for theists. I would like to hope that the majority of people - including many people I admire or respect - are being reasonable with their beliefs in their various gods, especially since those beliefs often matter so much to them.

This hope gets harder and harder to maintain, but at this point, I feel like if I left, I'd be admitting to myself what has seemed apparent for a long time: that theists just don't have good reasons for their beliefs... that even if they're rational and reasonable in other aspects of their lives, they're irrational and delusional when it comes to their gods.

I keep waiting for someone to give me a reason - any reason - to think otherwise. At this point, it seems like it isn't ever coming.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
One of the big reasons I stay these days is out of a hope that these things aren't true for theists. I would like to hope that the majority of people - including many people I admire or respect - are being reasonable with their beliefs in their various gods, especially since those beliefs often matter so much to them.

This hope gets harder and harder to maintain, but at this point, I feel like if I left, I'd be admitting to myself what has seemed apparent for a long time: that theists just don't have good reasons for their beliefs... that even if they're rational and reasonable in other aspects of their lives, they're irrational and delusional when it comes to their gods.

I keep waiting for someone to give me a reason - any reason - to think otherwise. At this point, it seems like it isn't ever coming.

Well my reason is personal...

Let me share...

When I layed there dying from an allergic reaction to demoral which is a pain killer they hardly use, my mom sat there and thought if I died she wanted to die there. I have felt "something" that was protective over mylife for a long time.

As a man of science I understand the brain is a powerful tool to create senses. But I believe there is a deity above me I understand people want logical explanations to why folks believe in the metaphysical but there is no explanation to why someone believes in an incomprehensible deity.

Poppa

I joined because i am selfish. I would like the comfort theists say they get from their god. I must rely on my own internal strength. I must find the power to work, create and think. It would be nice to discover the person who could convince me there is a god, but there is no logic in faith. I am a very logical thinker. Faith cannot be taught.