• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheists

Laika

Premium Member
why atheists bother to join a religious forum?

Typically, because we like discussing or are interested in religion even if we don't necessarily believe in it. It can also help us think our own ideas through by debating with people who have different or opposing views. Most Atheists will have some experience with religion to begin with, either by having had religious beliefs or being in a predominantly religious culture, so its only natural to be a bit curious.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Personally, I joined when I was trying to become a theist.

Edit: but you don't have to be religious - or even like religion - to find it interesting. I also listen to a podcast called "Revolutions" about, well, revolutions through history. This doesn't mean I would want to live through any of them.

Religion is a significant social and cultural phenomenon. It makes sense to try to understand it.

David T

Premium Member
I have no idea.
scientism_foundation_fundamentalism-300x211-300x211.jpg

Reactions: syo

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

For starters, it's fun and interesting.

One can consider this atheist school. Atheists can share information and teach one another. That would be the lecture section

Also, this is where I learn about theists and theism in a protracted discussion without the barriers that exist in meat space caused by the relationships we have with the people we discuss these matters with. Coworkers, neighbors, and acquaintances all have reason to censor themselves that don't exist here. That aspect can be considered the lab section.

Finally, this is a great opportunity to work on one's writing skills, to practice recognizing and naming logical fallacies, and to practice crafting ever better and more cogent arguments.

HonestJoe

Same reasons as everyone else I'd expect. The purpose of the forum is discussion about religion. I'm not a politician but I discuss politics, I'm not a scientist but I discuss science, I'm not an athlete but I discuss sport and I'm not religious but I discuss religion. They're all interesting topics and sometimes have direct impact on my life and the lives of others.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
i enjoy religious ideas, and grew up in religion all my life.

it's a way of seeking truth.

not all religions are theistic.

I love to see where people's intentions are at.

I do find it peculiar that so many naturalists love to come on here. they seem like the majority on RF. they have a language all their own, and I find it obscure and narrow, and very limiting and nihilist.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I found there are a lot of options for atheists to discuss and debate on this site from politics to forums which are designated to general discussion or atheists in general. I learned some things from Hinduism and a little from Buddhism and a little less from Pagans.

I wasn't indoctrinated and have little Christian experience in that regards, so if I do talk with christians who like to talk back, it's mostly curious of how people believe in an entity/god. I never believed in god/entity but have respect for people who do. So, if you're gearing towards why atheist want to be on a theist site, it sounds like an assumption that all atheist here talk with theist. Many don't or they just could be robots floating around. Who knows.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

Because we're evil and frustrated with the logic of theists.

All we want to do is reject the god we know is obvious, so we can sin in peace. We worship science as our faith, and we hold illogical contradictions about free will. This warps our morality, causing us to attack theist positions on RF because our frustration with our own illogical worldview demands we tear down all the good that religion has accomplished.

If any of this sounds right to you. . . then you need us here on RF to help set you straight. Feel free to ask us as many questions as you want.

proudpagan

New why atheists bother to join a religious forum?
Because they have a tendency to whine about how every other group is oppressing them and have a mental commitment to let everyone know how much people shove religion down their throats.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
I have just 30 questions before I become an athiest . So without wasting much of time please answer my first question Lord Atheist where the **** is the seat of consciousness ?

Do I give you my personal opinion or the atheist position?

See, you're already filed with misconceptions. I can help!

The atheist position is a rejection of the claim that there is a god(s). Not all atheists are in agreement regarding where or what the "seat of consciousness" is.

I can offer my opinion on the matter, but based on your phrasing, I'm afraid you'll conflate my personal opinion as the opinion of all atheists. We can discuss this, of course. . . But I wouldn't be speaking as an "atheist." It has nothing to do with it.

In any case, great question! Any other misconceptions about atheism I can clear up for you?