• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask MysticSang'ha anything

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Friend M.S.,
The reason for the question was obvious; its about attachment.
Marriage is an attachment.
Your response.
Love & rgds
As Mystic has said in another thread, one can become overly attached to the concept of non-attachment.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Beg to differ on the point of UNITARIAN UNIVERSALISM and Buddha nature.
In your unitarian universilsm there is still that flame. One still exists whereas in Buddha nature there is no trace of one also.
Its is very interesting to note that TAOISM and BUDDHISM were so close in understanding as TAO too means the same as buddha nature or NOTHINGNESS. This is the reason that these two religions merged and ZEN came out of it. The best or peak of human concuiousness.
"Nothingness" is not nihilism. It is nothing because it is everything.

How can you claim "nothingness" and also claim the "best of peak of human consciousness" unless you understand this?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
"Nothingness" is not nihilism. It is nothing because it is everything.

How can you claim "nothingness" and also claim the "best of peak of human consciousness" unless you understand this?
I would suggest that if people believe in a great big pile of smoldering "nothingness" then that is precisely what they will get for their efforts or lack thereof.

ZenZero, I know well the "nothingness" of which you speak and I am just rather insistent that there is MUCH beyond that minor "barrier". You could actually think of it as a buffer zone "where" the observer resides until they have lost their attachment to their preconceptions about how reality should behave. Again, there is MUCH beyond this supposedly "final" state. What I am getting at is this isn't the last stage... it is the first stage on a very different kind of journey using a very different kind of perception and consciousness.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend YmirGF,
Well, cannot deny what you state; as have no experience of beyond NOTHINGNESS.
If at all any; it is NOTHINGNESS expanding in depth, becoming more profound.
Yes time is eternal and open to anything that comes; hereafter/ thereafter.
Friend Lilithu,
Sorry no one can claim anything; at best can claim an understanding.
What you mentioned about Nothing being Everything is correct.
Life starts from there and ends there and that point is there in every individual.
The miracles of few enlightened persons are nothing but connecting this individual nothing/everything with the universal nothing/everything and allow the cycle of life to start from that point though it may appear to be a individual point.
YmirGF may be reffering to this situation in his response. Please do clarify, if there is any differences in our understanding.
Love & rgds

vandervalley

I would suggest that if people believe in a great big pile of smoldering "nothingness" then that is precisely what they will get for their efforts or lack thereof.

ZenZero, I know well the "nothingness" of which you speak and I am just rather insistent that there is MUCH beyond that minor "barrier". You could actually think of it as a buffer zone "where" the observer resides until they have lost their attachment to their preconceptions about how reality should behave. Again, there is MUCH beyond this supposedly "final" state. What I am getting at is this isn't the last stage... it is the first stage on a very different kind of journey using a very different kind of perception and consciousness.

if u achieved "nothingness" then how can u have a perception or a consciousness? If u have a perception or consciuosness or a journey then ur far from "nothingness"

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
if u achieved "nothingness" then how can u have a perception or a consciousness? If u have a perception or consciuosness or a journey then ur far from "nothingness"
That is precisely the point. When one perceives that "nothingness" and it does seem to be entirely void and empty, with subsequent "visits" one realizes that there is still the observer's viewpoint. I'm my humble opinion, the observer creates the link between the nothingness and the everything. My perception is that if in fact identity vanished, the viewpoint or perception of the observer vanished, then we would never have heard of this state, as no one would be able to remember it after experiencing it.

To my thinking, there would simply be a blank spot in ones meditations. It is my belief that Buddha understood this well and realized that anyone who realized the state after him would understand what he meant. This is why I call it Buddha's little joke because it is essential to get to that boundary area (the void) in order to get to the goodies beyond that barrier. The kicker is that there are no verbal symbols to describe anything beyond the void with any accuracy and that is why I feel he decided to leave his comments at that, knowing people would figure it all out if and when they got There.

vandervalley

That is precisely the point. When one perceives that "nothingness" and it does seem to be entirely void and empty, with subsequent "visits" one realizes that there is still the observer's viewpoint. I'm my humble opinion, the observer creates the link between the nothingness and the everything. My perception is that if in fact identity vanished, the viewpoint or perception of the observer vanished, then we would never have heard of this state, as no one would be able to remember it after experiencing it.

To my thinking, there would simply be a blank spot in ones meditations. It is my belief that Buddha understood this well and realized that anyone who realized the state after him would understand what he meant. This is why I call it Buddha's little joke because it is essential to get to that boundary area (the void) in order to get to the goodies beyond that barrier. The kicker is that there are no verbal symbols to describe anything beyond the void with any accuracy and that is why I feel he decided to leave his comments at that, knowing people would figure it all out if and when they got There.

I agree; one can not possibly know the joy of Enlightenement until he/she reaches it.

vandervalley

Friends,
Arhat is one who goes to be enlightened without passing the knowledge or teachings whereas Boddisatvas though they can become enelightened any time themselves would try and help others also to be enlightened.
Love & rgds

Many of Buddha's disciples were Arahants and they helped Buddha to spread Buddha Dharma; so how can you say that Arahants only care about themselves without helping others?

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
MysticSang'ha what kind of relationship do you find between the outer and inner tantras?

After your experience of the dharmakaya, how did you come to terms with it? Is that still ongoing?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Many of Buddha's disciples were Arahants and they helped Buddha to spread Buddha Dharma; so how can you say that Arahants only care about themselves without helping others?

I think this is the biggest misconception about Theravada practitioners. My perspective is that being an Arhat is part and parcel to helping others........one cannot truly help others without having perfect wisdom, eh?

Peace,
Mystic

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
MysticSang'ha what kind of relationship do you find between the outer and inner tantras?

Unfortunately, this is a question I can't answer. We will be having a Lam Rim discussion group starting up soon at our Dharma center, and hopefully I will be able to give a working definition from my perspective. At this moment, I would merely be guessing or relaying someone else's words.

After your experience of the dharmakaya, how did you come to terms with it? Is that still ongoing?

I have accepted it as a pivotal moment on my path, and my biggest struggle now is not to get too attached to it. ;)

I am coming to terms with the idea that that exact experience is one that I am not expecting to have again. I am not the same person that I was two years ago, and therefore I will not have the same feelings, reactions, expectations, motivations, etc., etc., etc. that I did then. So, now my journey is opening my heart to the experiences in front of me with the same tried-and-true aspects of the Dharma in my life:

Observe and let it all go like the flow of a river.

I dunno. Does that answer your question?

Peace,
Mystic

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Unfortunately, this is a question I can't answer. We will be having a Lam Rim discussion group starting up soon at our Dharma center, and hopefully I will be able to give a working definition from my perspective. At this moment, I would merely be guessing or relaying someone else's words.
*nods*

I have accepted it as a pivotal moment on my path, and my biggest struggle now is not to get too attached to it. ;)

I am coming to terms with the idea that that exact experience is one that I am not expecting to have again. I am not the same person that I was two years ago, and therefore I will not have the same feelings, reactions, expectations, motivations, etc., etc., etc. that I did then. So, now my journey is opening my heart to the experiences in front of me with the same tried-and-true aspects of the Dharma in my life:

Observe and let it all go like the flow of a river.

I dunno. Does that answer your question?

Peace,
Mystic
Oh, yes it does. :)

I've heard accounts of similar experiences and been through something similar myself. What I don't hear about is the same thing coming back over and over in the same way. Perhaps, the intensity of an experience like that is a bit like a dam breaking. Having built up and then suddenly being released at first the power of it feels as though it could smash through anything. As it spreads out it, flowing where it does, it becomes less turbulent and eventually becomes a feature of a more fertile land.

Though there are other potential dams, other dharma doors. :)

If you are a Vajrayna Buddhist how can you be a Tibetan one also? I thought most Tibetan buddhists consider Vajrayna Buddhism as a sect of Mahayna. Or do you incorporate beleifs of both sects into your practice?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
If you are a Vajrayna Buddhist how can you be a Tibetan one also? I thought most Tibetan buddhists consider Vajrayna Buddhism as a sect of Mahayna. Or do you incorporate beleifs of both sects into your practice?

Looks to me like you answered your own question. :)

Tibetan Buddhism - which embodies the scope of the "Diamond Vehicle" (or Vajrayana) - considers itself to belong under the umbrella of the Mahayana scope.

Peace,
Mystic

Troublemane

I have a question, sis: Do you know, is there any speculation that the current Dalai Lama is the last one? Or is it possible his holiness will simply be the last Tibetan Dalai Lama, or something? I was just curious to know if they know who the next one is already, or do they wait until the current one dies then look for visions, or whatever?
:)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
YAY! Thank you, my dear bro, for resurrecting this thread! :hug:

As if I can't get enough attention already.....LOL

If there are signs, we don't know about it - which honestly is a good thing. Can you imagine the media circus that would develop if the lineage began broadcasting the oracle of when and who will be the next Dalai Lama? :eek:

My gut is telling me that as Tibet dies as a country and as a culture, that the next incarnation will be in the West. We already have had a few very prominent rebirths in the West, and I believe that it is the ideal situation for His Holiness.

Peace,
Mystic

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
Do you think I'm attractive ? I keep getting told this, but I'm not sure if I should believe it !

Melissa G