• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask MysticSang'ha anything

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
What is the Divine? As Buddhism doesn't have a god creator.
Sure it does. Who was it who convinced the Buddha to go out and teach the Dharma once he had attained enlightenment?

But belief in the creator god or any god is irrelevant to attaining nibbana.

koan

Sure it does. Who was it who convinced the Buddha to go out and teach the Dharma once he had attained enlightenment?

But belief in the creator god or any god is irrelevant to attaining nibbana.

He convinced himself.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Hi Heather,
I read somewhere that there is an overlap between Tibetan buddhism and shamanism if this is correct could you tell me a little about it please ?
Regards
SW

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Hey, Heather I have a question:

Why are you so awesome? :D

Sweetheart, if you see anything awesome about "me", I can only give credit to all the awesome people I surround myself with, and all the awesome people who have passed down whatever virtue, wisdom, and compassion that I have been fortunate enough to remember and exemplify. So, if you find anything enjoyable about my presence, it is only because I have been touched by the magic and beauty that is in you.

Peace,
Mystic

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Even Mara is just a manifestation of the mind.
That may be your interpretation of the story. But the original Pali scriptures are of full of references to gods, and in this case it was Brahma, the Vedic creator god, who convinced the Buddha to go out and teach the Dharma. If Brahma was Mara it's curious that he convinced the Buddha instead of tempting him to keep it to himself.

koan

Brahma and mara are just manifestations of the mind. Don't forget, the inclusion of Brahma was there to not alienate the Hindus.
Do you also believe the Buddha was born from under his mothers arm and exclaimed upon birth, I am the world honoured one.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Brahma and mara are just manifestations of the mind. Don't forget, the inclusion of Brahma was there to not alienate the Hindus.
Do you also believe the Buddha was born from under his mothers arm and exclaimed upon birth, I am the world honoured one.
No, I don't really. But I also don't really believe that Jesus was born of a virgin. And yet many people seem to insist the biblical scripture either be taken literally or not at all whereas they have no problem taking what they like from Buddhist scripture and dismissing the rest.

Back to the point, there may be no creator god in your version of Buddhism. There certainly is in other people's Buddhism.

Starsurfer93

Soul-Searcher
Hi Mystic!

I wanted to ask if you could clarify something for me.
Since I first began to research Buddhism, the Vajrayana School has always fascinated me.
However, I keep hearing the term "wrathful deities" tossed around by scholars in describing the branch of Buddhism, and while I feel this is probably a poorly chosen term used to describe such Bodhisattvas, I would be lying if I said my first encounter with an image of Vajrabhairava (I think that's who it was. I could be wrong) left me feeling completely settled and at peace.

I guess what I'm asking from you is can you shed some light on this for me? Is "wrathful" really just a badly chosen term? Or is there another aspect to these beings I'm not quite seeing that justify the term wrathful while still upholding the concept of Compassion that is so important to the Buddhist faith?

Namaste :namaste

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Hi Mystic!

I wanted to ask if you could clarify something for me.
Since I first began to research Buddhism, the Vajrayana School has always fascinated me.
However, I keep hearing the term "wrathful deities" tossed around by scholars in describing the branch of Buddhism, and while I feel this is probably a poorly chosen term used to describe such Bodhisattvas, I would be lying if I said my first encounter with an image of Vajrabhairava (I think that's who it was. I could be wrong) left me feeling completely settled and at peace.

I guess what I'm asking from you is can you shed some light on this for me? Is "wrathful" really just a badly chosen term? Or is there another aspect to these beings I'm not quite seeing that justify the term wrathful while still upholding the concept of Compassion that is so important to the Buddhist faith?

Namaste :namaste

Howdy Starsurfer! I'm honored to have my thread resurface! :foryou:

I've touched on the wrathful deities before at RF, and have also contemplated on them for a while now. Personally, I don't believe the term is poorly chosen, since the way I view them is they are wrathful not toward other beings, but toward non-Dharmic actions. They are the protectors of the Dharma, and are vigilant in it's purity and it's manifestations in our individual and collective conscience. When I meditate on them, I find myself very much at ease in the same way you describe. The reason is that if I were to approach the Dharma without wisdom and compassion, that they would do what they can to destroy the attachments that keep me from attaining Buddhahood.

In other words, I have a deep appreciation of them and what they are eternally committed to.

Hope that answers your question on how I see it all. Enjoy! :)

Starsurfer93

Soul-Searcher
Howdy Starsurfer! I'm honored to have my thread resurface! :foryou:

I've touched on the wrathful deities before at RF, and have also contemplated on them for a while now. Personally, I don't believe the term is poorly chosen, since the way I view them is they are wrathful not toward other beings, but toward non-Dharmic actions. They are the protectors of the Dharma, and are vigilant in it's purity and it's manifestations in our individual and collective conscience. When I meditate on them, I find myself very much at ease in the same way you describe. The reason is that if I were to approach the Dharma without wisdom and compassion, that they would do what they can to destroy the attachments that keep me from attaining Buddhahood.

In other words, I have a deep appreciation of them and what they are eternally committed to.

Hope that answers your question on how I see it all. Enjoy! :)
And I'm honored that you took time our of your day to answer! Especially since the thread has been quiet for so long :bounce

Wow. That's a really interesting way to look at it. I never would have thought that their wrath would be directed toward non-Dharmic thoughts and actions as opposed to beings.Looking at things from that perspective makes me feel much at peace when thinking of them proves that they are compassionate, despite my initial uneasiness :)

Thank's Mystic. That has been something that has bothered me for a while. I hope your thread resurfaces. You seem very knowledgeable and wise in regards to your faith

Thank you again, and take care! :namaste

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Would the . . .Gautama Buddha teach independent self-reliance or humble dependence on someone else?..thanks

My best guess is the Middle Way. Be a lamp unto yourselves while keepingthe awareness of dependent arising. In other words, you are not the result of you alone as an independent being remaining static throughout beginningless time. You are the result of many causes and conditions to have occurred.