• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask MysticSang'ha anything

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I might as well. :eek:

My purpose for this thread is two-fold. I feel a need to "test" myself to ensure that what I am learning is authentic Dharma according to the Vajrayana school of Buddhism, and secondly, not much is noted here at RF on what exactly Vajrayana is about. I feel a responsibility to act as a representative of my faith-practice, and therefore, this thread will hopefully act as the go-to for how and why I do what I do.

Since this thread is in the DIR section of the forums, any and all questions must be sincere and thread-specific.

Also, keep in mind that there are 4 distinct schools in Vajrayana Buddhism: Nyingma, Kagyu, Sakya, and Geluk. It is without question that I will be approaching answers from the Geluk perspective and method. Consider that each of these four schools are siblings in a family. We're very close, but there are certain things that set us apart.

Another thing to consider - I am a part of the laity, and not a member of the monastic order (no duh, Heather). Vajrayana is notorious for keeping it's esoteric doctrine secret from the uninitiated, and therefore the more mystical and phenomenal the question gets, the more likely you'll receive speculation from me, and I will admit to my lack of authority on the issue. I hope you will understand this.

The RF overview is quite good: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/vajrayana/9568-vajrayana-buddhism-overview.html

Thank you to RF for allowing this opportunity. I would like to close, if I may, with some prayer:

May all sentient beings have happiness and the causes of happiness.
May all sentient beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering.
May all sentient beings be inseparable from the joyful happiness that is free from suffering.
May all sentient beings abide in equanimity, free from the desire for friends and the hatred of enemies.

Idam Guru Ratna Mandalakam Niryata Yami

May the supreme jewel Bodhichitta that has not arisen, arise and grow; and that which has arisen not diminish but increase more and more. :flower:

Om Vajrasattva Hum

Om Mani Padme Hum

Peace,
Mystic

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
doppelgänger;925771 said:
Why do you think the monastic order keeps its teachings a secret from the uninitiated?

Vajrayana claims to have the path to a quick enlightenment. Not a "sudden" path that perhaps Zen advocates, but paths like the Lam-Rim and Dzogchen (Nyingma school) that pushes it's practitioners to walk a graduated path to full realization.

In steps the Tantras, and this is only offered to those who have taken the monastic vows. We understand that reality is freaky enough, but "ultimate" Reality is mind-blowing to say the least. And for those without a proper guide, one that is engendered by a guru-disciple relationship, the experience can drive one to madness.

Also, since the Tantras are such a powerful tool, our Geshes are extremely protective of them in order to ensure they don't fall into the wrong hands. Only those dedicated to the Bodhisattva way, who has proven their intentions after years of devotion, study, and practice, are considered equipped and trustworthy to take on further responsibility of the Tantric Vehicle. Putting this information in the minds of the self-serving or the delusional/ignorant is like putting an armed nuclear warhead in the hands of a terrorist.

I'd like to quote Uncle Ben, "With great power comes great responsibility."

It isn't easy being a Bodhisattva. ;)

Peace,
Mystic

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
What happens to a person when they die?

Ooooh! We can break this down, since death is quite the fascination in our studies! The short answer, though, is that death is considered a journey in the Bardos, which is described and guided in the Bardos Thodol - or more commonly known as the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

A free e-book for your enjoyment:
The Tibetan Book of the Dead - Ebook

A personal footnote, though........although physical death is the most profound miracles beside birth and re-birth, death is noted as one of greatest teachers. The reason for thus is that we die every day, every hour, and every moment. We are constantly changing and evolving.........this "I" that I call "me" is not the same as yesterday. My cellular structure is not only changing with the billions of cellular deaths and new generations, but my perspective is constantly changing, too.

RE: Law of impermanence :)

At it's most basic, here are the three states of transition after death:

The Bardo Thodol actually differentiates the intermediate states between lives into three bardos (themselves further subdivided):
  1. the chikhai bardo or "bardo of the moment of death"
  2. the chonyid bardo or "bardo of the experiencing of reality"
  3. the sidpa bardo or "bardo of rebirth".
Bardo Thodol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (excerpt)

Is there anything more specific you had in mind, Scott?

Peace,
Mystic

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Yeah, tell me about it, hon. It's a dirty job but SOMEONE has gotta do it, lol. I love this thread and most definitely will be back. I must tread out to the gardens for a day in the sun, weeding, nuturing ad infinitum ... I look at it as my microcosm to the macrocosm.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Mystic Heather, do you think you could describe to our home audience the role of the Bodhisattva? It might be quite informative to some. I remember the first time I heard the expression in this life, it was an age old friend who commented to someone else, "Paul here is Bodhisattva". I just smiled but didn't understand what he meant. Some time later I was reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead (Evans-Wentz version) and came across the meaning. To say the least I was a bit taken back, lol.

I guess what I have come to understand after being on my journey into consciousness for over 33 years now is that there isn't really a better label for me. Perhaps I will change my Religion tag to read: Bodhisattva

Do you think Buddhist would be offended, like it's not like I haven't been a Buddhist "before", lol. If the truth be told I have quite a number of Buddhist incarnations.

robtex

Veteran Member
What made your current path the correct path for you? The one quality that I associate with you is compassion. What are your thoughts on compassion at a societal level and how do they coincide with your spirtual beliefs?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I just gave a lengthy reply in the Mod thread about myself, and I need some time before getting to these wonderful questions.

Paul, I'll get to that perspective on the Bodhisattva soon.

Rob, the role of compassion will be elaborated quite fully soon (and thank you deeply for the kind compliment). :flower:

ZZ, is your question on my identity relatively speaking or on my ultimate identity? Depending on the context, the answer is easy - just look in the mirror. :)

Peace,
Mystic

zenzero

Its only a Label
Buddha never talks about relativities.
As for the mirror; neither the mirror recognises me nor do I recognise him;
thats why asked who are you?
Love & rgds

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Mystic Heather, do you think you could describe to our home audience the role of the Bodhisattva? It might be quite informative to some. I remember the first time I heard the expression in this life, it was an age old friend who commented to someone else, "Paul here is Bodhisattva". I just smiled but didn't understand what he meant. Some time later I was reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead (Evans-Wentz version) and came across the meaning. To say the least I was a bit taken back, lol.

I guess what I have come to understand after being on my journey into consciousness for over 33 years now is that there isn't really a better label for me. Perhaps I will change my Religion tag to read: Bodhisattva

To describe what essentially the Bodhisattva is, I think it's necessary to also point out that this concept is what defines the clear boundary between Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism. The Bodhisattva is absolutely a Mahayana definition, since the Bodhisattva cares not just to be free from suffering themselves, but wish to free all others from suffering, too. I've read somewhere that one can spot a Bodhisattva by noticing that he or she simply can not refuse help toward another sentient being. And that this aspect is not merely resident because of practice or following the rules........it's essentially who they are.

IMO, a Bodhisattva is one that vows to remain in samsara until all sentient beings are free from suffering in all the Desire Realms, including the hell-realms. Therefore, he or she refuses paranibbana until that promise is completed, and chooses to remain in the presence of others' suffering, dedicating themselves completely to others.

So as far as I'm concerned, Paul, I would agree with your chosen title if that is your intention. :)

Do you think Buddhist would be offended, like it's not like I haven't been a Buddhist "before", lol. If the truth be told I have quite a number of Buddhist incarnations.

Why would I be offended? Truth be told, many others have had quite a number of Buddhist incarnations, too.

*points to dusty cap on shelf saying "Legalistic Buddhist - Beware!"*

LOL

Peace,
Mystic

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
What made your current path the correct path for you?

Very simply, it works. In my moments of self-examination, I've noticed when I practice and take refuge in the Three Jewels, I am happier and I have the ability to help others to happiness. I've noticed that when I shy away from my practices, that I suffer more and I cause more suffering in others around me.

The one quality that I associate with you is compassion. What are your thoughts on compassion at a societal level and how do they coincide with your spirtual beliefs?

Compassion is but one wing of the bird, and in order for the bird to fly, it must have the other wing - Wisdom. At it's most basic understanding, compassion is the trademark of the Bodhisattva (see above post). When you identify suffering in others, and soften your heart to them, you are practicing compassion. When a dichotomy of "me vs. you" or "us vs. them" exists, it is more difficult to access compassion.

A first step in Mahayana traditions, usually, in contemplating and practicing compassion is seeing all sentient beings as having what's called "Buddha-Nature." Buddha-Nature shows us that everyone, every last person, every last sentient being, has the potential to achieve Buddhahood. Whether it is realized in this lifetime or a million incarnations later, that potential is there. It is not God-hood, but the ability to be fully awake of our surroundings and our mind.

I believe that this definition is best paralleled by the human rights programs that strive to protect our basic dignities as human beings. I also believe that this is reflected in programs that protect against animal cruelty and that provides responsible stewardship of our environment.

Thank you for the compliment again, Rob. I do strive to generate bodhichitta, which is that altruistic mind-state. Vajrayana specifies the practices of generating this compassion with what's called the Six Perfections:

Giving
Morality
Patience
Enthusiastic perserverance
Meditation
Wisdom

Note: the Six Perfections are outlined by most Mahayana schools from my understanding, but Vajrayana adamantly supports it.

Peace,
Mystic

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Buddha never talks about relativities.
As for the mirror; neither the mirror recognises me nor do I recognise him;
thats why asked who are you?
Love & rgds

Refer back to post #12 for my answer again. If you wish to debate that point, please take it outside of the DIR forums. :)

Peace,
Mystic

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
1. In a previous post you mentioned the Inner or Third eye. Can you describe your perceptions via this interesting "innovation of the psyche"?

2. In meditations have you ever had the feeling you were looking in all directions simultaneously? (Left, right, up, down, front and back.)

3. Would you care to tell us about the Tibetan view of the Dharma Kaya and Og-Min? *giggles*

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
1. In a previous post you mentioned the Inner or Third eye. Can you describe your perceptions via this interesting "innovation of the psyche"?

Can I first point out that these are some really awesome questions? :bow: :hug:

My answer to your first question is that many of my perceptions are still a little fuzzy, but a few things have been quite clear. And, it's been due to a lot of practice. My "subtle" senses have been a little more refined since beginning practice and concentrating on the more sutble realms.

I have found myself able to smell and hear things that are absolutely NOT of this gross physical/material world. But the sight thing is pretty radical, I must say.

If I must narrow it down to any recurring experience, I would have to say two distinct visions keep popping up: the Tunnel, and the Eye - with the latter vision experienced the most often. When I first saw the Eye staring back at me, I actually jumped up out of my meditation seated position (which I don't usually recommed LOL). After a while, I became quite comfortable with it. Once I attached a "label" to it and saw it as either the Eye of Horus or the Eye of Ra (I could never remember which was which), the shape of the eye changed. It would change to a horse's eye, then a baby's eye, then a cat's eye, and on and on and on.

Now I simply observe it observing me. :D

The Tunnel is a whirling, swirling, vivid and colorful thing to travel through. I don't feel that I'm out of my body at that time, but it's like I'm watching a 3-D movie. I guess I simply watch a psychedelic experience unfolding until it's time to come back to the "real world."

2. In meditations have you ever had the feeling you were looking in all directions simultaneously? (Left, right, up, down, front and back.)

Honestly, no. But I have experienced a heightened awareness of all the directions despite not looking in all directions. It is as if all my senses have become 10x more refined, including spatial awareness. Does that make sense?

3. Would you care to tell us about the Tibetan view of the Dharma Kaya and Og-Min? *giggles*

OK, let's see if I can explain this sensibly in any way whatsoever, since this is getting deeper into Tibetan mysticism. ;)

Buddha is considered to have three bodies, three forms, three cosmological "functions." These are called 1) Sambhogakaya - the form the enlightened mind appears to benefit highly realized bodhisattvas (also called the "enjoyment body"); 2) Nirmanakaya - the form the enlightened mind appears to benefit ordinary beings (also called "emanation body")

*both of these forms are also referred to collectively as rupakaya - which is how we identify the holy body of a Buddha (also called "form body")*

The dharmakaya is the form of the enlightened mind that is free of all forms, from my understanding. Here is the FPMT official definition of the term:

The "truth body." The omniscient mind of a fully enlightened being, which, free of all coverings, remains meditatively absorbed in the direct perception of emptiness while simultaneously cognizing all phenomena. The result of the complete and perfect accumulation of wisdom.

FPMT Losang Dragpa Centre | Buddhism | Tibetan Buddhism | Mahayana Tradition | Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition

BTW, the FPMT is the umbrella organization that our Dharma center operates under. :)

I'm not at all familiar with the term "Og-Min", though. I'm sorry that I can't comment on that.

Peace,
Mystic