• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arkansas inflicts child abuse on its school children

We Never Know

No Slack
Isn't there such a thing as civics?
Creationism is obviously a recurring debate point. Ignoring it in school seems wrong to me, it just isn't science and shouldn't be taught in science class.
Or have religious class option that teaches about all the religions of the world, not just one. And yes I agree religion doesn't belong in science class.

exchemist

Veteran Member
This is another false statement, there are people that believers in Jesus Christ, been born of the Spirit, have repented and walking with God - Believers/Christians they know the truth, that the whole Bible is the truth, Genesis is the true account. Then you have the rest of the people - Unbelievers - If a person doesn’t believe the whole Bible they aren’t a Believer so how can they be a Christian?
No, it is you that is making the false statement. Christianity has not taken everything in the Old Testament literally since about 200AD. See Origen.

Biblical literalism is a recent fad, that started to become popular among some extreme Protestant sects in the c.18th and 19th, probably as a result of them insisting on throwing away all the thought of earlier scholars of the church and trying to start all over again, with people of limited education.

Mainstream Christianity treats - and has always treated - some of the OT stories as allegorical, and recognises that there are inevitably inconsistencies in it, since it was written down by different men, subject to the culture of their time, over a long period.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭3:16-17‬ ‭NIV‬‬
If you’re born again you know this and live by the Word of God. Not a false interpretation and perverted view of Scripture but the Holy Spirit teaches a believer what God means and how to apply the word of God.

Yet the people who claim to have been taught by the Holy Spirit believe a thousand different contradictory things. :shrug:

Isn't there such a thing as civics?
Creationism is obviously a recurring debate point. Ignoring it in school seems wrong to me, it just isn't science and shouldn't be taught in science class.
No, it is you that is making the false statement. Christianity has not taken everything in the Old Testament literally since about 200AD. See Origen.

Biblical literalism is a recent fad, that started to become popular among some extreme Protestant sects in the c.18th and 19th, probably as a result of them insisting on throwing away all the thought of earlier scholars of the church and trying to start all over again, with people of limited education.

Mainstream Christianity treats - and has always treated - some of the OT stories as allegorical, and recognises that there are inevitably inconsistencies in it, since it was written down by different men, subject to the culture of their time, over a long period.

Origen isn’t my authority, he was just a man. Jesus and the Apostles didn’t believe Noah or Genesis to be allegorical.
“As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:37-41‬ ‭NIV‬‬
There are a lot of Scripture references to validate what I say.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭3:16-17‬ ‭NIV‬‬
If you’re born again you know this and live by the Word of God. Not a false interpretation and perverted view of Scripture but the Holy Spirit teaches a believer what God means and how to apply the word of God.

But what encompasses 'all scripture' was very much at issue for a LONG time. In particular, which books would make it into the Bible was decided by men with certain political positions that they wanted to support.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
===== Ordinary Poster Notice =====
Let's stop making the arguments personal.
I also recommend against using the term, "lie".
Yes, yes, creationists are at best not even wrong.
But they sincerely believe it.

Many creationist writings are by people that know that what they write is incorrect. Those are lies.

The readers don't, for the most part, know that they are being lied to. They have honestly held beliefs.

Yet the people who claim to have been taught by the Holy Spirit believe a thousand different contradictory things. :shrug:
It’s easy to discern truth from error, most of the time Scripture interprets Scripture and when something makes sense seek no other sense. Takes some digging for other things and some things just are hidden at the moment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Many creationist writings are by people that know that what they write is incorrect. Those are lies.
It could happen.
Although intent to defraud hasn't been evidenced in this thread.
The claim seems automatic & ad hoc....mischievous.

BTW, some pro-evolution types have lied too.
But I wouldn't automatically call them all liars.
The readers don't, for the most part, know that they are being lied to. They have honestly held beliefs.
It's time to justify the claim that people pushing creationism
don't really believe it, but intend to mislead others with lies.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
It’s easy to discern truth from error, most of the time Scripture interprets Scripture and when something makes sense seek no other sense. Takes some digging for other things and some things just are hidden at the moment.

That's what all y'all say...yet using that method, you all wildly disagree when the rubber meets the road.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It's time to justify the claim that people pushing creationism
don't really believe it, but intend to mislead others with lies.
People, like Ken Ham, who have been corrected about the science of evolution many times, don't have the excuse of being ignorant any more. Yet, they keep on misrepresenting evolutionary science to their audience. I have no problem calling Ken Ham and people working for AiG or the DI liars (or dement) and prove that view.

But what encompasses 'all scripture' was very much at issue for a LONG time. In particular, which books would make it into the Bible was decided by men with certain political positions that they wanted to support.
My testimony of what God has done for me and the things He has shown me are true. I lived all this. First 28 years I lived a self ruled life, ended up in a drug and alcohol rehab realizing that my best efforts failed. I was stuck and called out to God and He showed up and put me on a path where I met Jesus Christ and He did something internally, in my soul and spirit that opened my eyes to the truth of Scripture and it all made sense at that moment. I’ve been walking with God 30+ years now and committed to trusting God and living out His Word in my life. He has been faithful all these years and that’s the truth. Other than people I knew before that and then after know of the change, family, friends etc. Science I don’t think could come close to explaining this change other than denying it happened and somehow I got this power all by myself. And that’s the problem with science, it would deny this and come up with all the reasons it isn’t so. When I got saved I heard all these different views and made it my aim to find out things for myself instead of taking someone’s word or opinion. God’s view is what I want to know.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
People, like Ken Ham, who have been corrected about the science of evolution many times, don't have the excuse of being ignorant any more. Yet, they keep on misrepresenting evolutionary science to their audience. I have no problem calling Ken Ham and people working for AiG or the DI liars (or dement) and prove that view.
People don't necessarily believe the corrections given them
by the loyal opposition. I've been "corrected" for my disbelief
in God, & told that I'm dishonest for denying what all humans
know, that God is real, & communicates his Word to us.

We must recognize that there is great diversity of beliefs,
& that we're not liars after having rejected "corrections".

Heyo

Veteran Member
People don't necessarily believe the corrections given them
by the loyal opposition. I've been "corrected" for my disbelief
in God, & told that I'm dishonest for denying what all humans
know, that God is real, & communicates his Word to us.

We must recognize that there is great diversity of beliefs,
& that we're not liars after having rejected "corrections".
When you are told, by a scientist, verified by multiple sources, that the position of science is X and you tell your audience that the position of science is Y, you are lying. That is not a question of belief.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When you are told, by a scientist, verified by multiple sources, that the position of science is X and you tell your audience that the position of science is Y, you are lying. That is not a question of belief.
I know many who trust religion & feelings more than science.
They're sincere in this orientation. But they believe that I'm
not...tis inconceivable that I could deny the obvious existence
of God, & the inerrant truth of the Bible.
In their minds, I'm dishonest.
In your mind, perhaps they're dishonest.
In my mind, we're all honest....but I'm right, & y'all are wrong.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

And yet, when you ask a number of people that believe it is easy to discern truth from error in the Bible, you find a variety of opinions on what the truth is. That suggests it is more people reading things *into* the Bible.

But I would agree. Much of the time, the Bible is easy to interpret, given the society and values of those who wrote it. It is also often wrong in details, as shown by science, archeology, and anthropology.