• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a heretic?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Doesn't one truly hold that Truth is the authority, will one disobey it, please?

Regards

I don't know what you mean by "Truth." I do not use the term, and when I've had those who use it explain the concept to me, I reject the existence and validity of their concept. You're going to have to answer that question for yourself. It's not something that applies in my life, and as such it's not my place to answer it for you.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I don't know what you mean by "Truth." I do not use the term, and when I've had those who use it explain the concept to me, I reject the existence and validity of their concept. You're going to have to answer that question for yourself. It's not something that applies in my life, and as such it's not my place to answer it for you.
Does one think there is no Truth, it is all false, please?
Truth is an every day use word. Isn't it, please?
Regards

Rational Agnostic

I believe I am one although no one has officially declared me one.

Basically the way I see it is that a heretic is anyone who disagrees with a person or group that claims to be the religious authority.

For instance in one of the churches I attended (non-denominational in name but Baptist in background) took me to account for believing something different about the Trinity. I was allowed to continue as a communicant even though some may have felt I should have been told to leave.

In another church (charismatic) I was told not to speak in church about religious subjects because I differed in my understanding of the Trinity and other things. When I wish ed to explore what the Bible says I was told that the Church determines doctrine and it was the authority (by extension not the Bible).
I left because I can't help but talk about my religious beliefs.

In the church I am in now (SBC) the Pastor considers himself and the denomination as the authorities and I definitely differ in my understanding with the Pastor and probably with the denomination as well although I don't remember anything specific. I am getting to stay but will probably never be asked to preach in this church because of my differing opinions.

So what is your story? Do you completely adhere to an authority and believe it is always right or do you think different opinions shouldn't divide people?

Couldn't care less what churches, pastors, priests, rectors, reverends, and preachers think about my opinions.:p

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I would most likely count as a heretic to anyone who counts heretics. If I have missed your religion, please send me a message and I'll be sure to enact some heretical deed in congruence with whatever gruence you normally con. I wouldn't want to leave anyone out.

Vee

Premium Member
In another church (charismatic) I was told not to speak in church about religious subjects because I differed in my understanding of the Trinity and other things.

What would be the point of going to the church then?
Imagine going to a football match and not being able to talk about what's going on during the match, or going to a restaurant and not being able to give your opinion about the food.
Personally I don't see the point of belonging to any organization that doesn't allow me to ask questions or exchange opinions.

Jumi

I'd say a heretic is someone who belongs to a subgroup (even by themselves) of a group whose views are not accepted. Since most organized religions or similar thoughstreams are imperfect, IMO anyone who is even a bit serious thinker becomes a heretic by virtue of themselves. So congratulations are in order for every heretic born. :clapping:

Audie

Veteran Member
What would be the point of going to the church then?
Imagine going to a football match and not being able to talk about what's going on during the match, or going to a restaurant and not being able to give your opinion about the food.
Personally I don't see the point of belonging to any organization that doesn't allow me to ask questions or exchange opinions.

What point is being made to / by those who enforce,
and those who accept rigid orthodoxy?

Note that our talibans etc glory in rigid orthodoxy.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Are you a heretic?

Those who follow Truth, are not "heretics". They are on the right path and submitter to Truth.
Examples in the case are Buddha, Krishna, Abraham, Moses, Jesus,Socrates, Muhammad and in recent times Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, please.

Regards

Tammie

Muffled said:
I believe I am one although no one has officially declared me one.

Basically the way I see it is that a heretic is anyone who disagrees with a person or group that claims to be the religious authority.
Comment: Great definition!

For instance in one of the churches I attended (non-denominational in name but Baptist in background) took me to account for believing something different about the Trinity. I was allowed to continue as a communicant even though some may have felt I should have been told to leave.
In another church (charismatic) I was told not to speak in church about religious subjects because I differed in my understanding of the Trinity and other things. When I wish ed to explore what the Bible says I was told that the Church determines doctrine and it was the authority (by extension not the Bible).
I left because I can't help but talk about my religious beliefs.

In the church I am in now (SBC) the Pastor considers himself and the denomination as the authorities and I definitely differ in my understanding with the Pastor and probably with the denomination as well although I don't remember anything specific. I am getting to stay but will probably never be asked to preach in this church because of my differing opinions.
Comment: When I really read the Bible for myself, I understood something different of the words Trinity, A tormenting Hell, Going to Heaven, as well as a few other things to be different than what the church denominational doctrines teach.
Example: I still have not yet received an answer to this question on the trinity: The Holy Spirit was not a Father until he had a Son....so if the Holy Spirit and Father are the same, how are there three? The answer would always be that technically this was right but that this is why the three are one. What?

So what is your story? Do you completely adhere to an authority and believe it is always right or do you think different opinions shouldn't divide people?
Comment: Different opinions should not divide people....but for some reason they do.
Our Story: My husband and I have not been to an organized denominational church for 10 Years because of this problem...however, we believe the Word of God as truth and base our whole life on it. We keep the Sabbath and fellowship with others of the same mind. Our Doctrine is Christ/Yeshua and no other doctrine than that (especially that of a church). We find that when we are all open with questions and opinions (even differently), that when searched for through the Word of God, we come up with the same answers. Note: Although this was the answer for us, it may not work for you. Through prayer and the right circumstance, I am confident that you will know what to do

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well jesus was killed for being a heretic so you are in good company. He was very very unlikeable

I believe that is not so strange. People would ask. Do you drink? No. Do you smoke? no, They would think of me as a very strange person.

1Pe 4:4 wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them into the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Per official Roman doctrine, I am a heretic, saying that trust in Christ saves, without me needing to do anything works-wise to be saved or to reduce my time in purgatory.

Sometimes, it's worth being called a heretic, to promote Bible truth.

I believe there is no doubt that the RCC likes to claim it is the sole authority for Christianity.

David T

Premium Member
I believe that is not so strange. People would ask. Do you drink? No. Do you smoke? no, They would think of me as a very strange person.

1Pe 4:4 wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them into the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:
Nothing strange about not drinking and smoking

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I believe there is no doubt that the RCC likes to claim it is the sole authority for Christianity.

Yet the Bible says IT is the sole authority for doctrine, and specifically says it is above the tradition of people, as when the Rabbis had added talmudic practice that obscured the Bible's plain teachings.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yet the Bible says IT is the sole authority for doctrine, and specifically says it is above the tradition of people, as when the Rabbis had added talmudic practice that obscured the Bible's plain teachings.

I believe that is news to me. Chapter & verse? I know the Bible says that it is profitable for doctrine.

I believe there are apt to be traditions in the Bible but what is above that and any interpretation is the Word that God speaks which includes Jesus.