• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a heretic?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe I am one although no one has officially declared me one.

Basically the way I see it is that a heretic is anyone who disagrees with a person or group that claims to be the religious authority.

For instance in one of the churches I attended (non-denominational in name but Baptist in background) took me to account for believing something different about the Trinity. I was allowed to continue as a communicant even though some may have felt I should have been told to leave.

In another church (charismatic) I was told not to speak in church about religious subjects because I differed in my understanding of the Trinity and other things. When I wish ed to explore what the Bible says I was told that the Church determines doctrine and it was the authority (by extension not the Bible).
I left because I can't help but talk about my religious beliefs.

In the church I am in now (SBC) the Pastor considers himself and the denomination as the authorities and I definitely differ in my understanding with the Pastor and probably with the denomination as well although I don't remember anything specific. I am getting to stay but will probably never be asked to preach in this church because of my differing opinions.

So what is your story? Do you completely adhere to an authority and believe it is always right or do you think different opinions shouldn't divide people?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I am a heretic because I consider Augustinian theology twisted and not adherent to the principles of the Gospels, but above all, it lacks the evangelical principle of humility.

But I am culturally Catholic, and to some extent I still consider myself Catholic.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I imagine everyone is a heretic, because no understanding of belief or scripture is exactly the same for everyone. But them non believers, them's the WORST.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I am a heretic because I consider Augustinian theology twisted and not adherent to the principles of the Gospels, but above all, it lacks the evangelical principle of humility.

But I am culturally Catholic, and to some extent I still consider myself Catholic.

Would the Catholic Church recognize you as Catholic?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think it makes sense to call myself a heretic, no. None of the religious movements I affiliate with have any sort of central authority to whom obedience is expected, so the concept is not applicable:
  • Unitarian Universalism is very much about seeking wisdom for yourself and finding your own path. Leaders can serve as guides in this process, but there is no authority one must bow to.
  • Contemporary Paganism has such a dysfunctional relationship with authority, often condemning it harshly and to its own detriment as a maturing religious movement. If anything, the heresy in contemporary Paganism would be accepting authority.
  • Druidry, at least the order I'm a member of, is basically a tree hugger's version of UU that lets you develop your personal tradition. Like UU, it has inspiring leaders, but none are authority figures.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I imagine everyone is a heretic, because no understanding of belief or scripture is exactly the same for everyone. But them non believers, them's the WORST.

I suppose there wouldn't be adherence to a religious authority. Does Darwin serve as an authority or anyone for you?

Audie

Veteran Member

Basically the way I see it is that a heretic is anyone who disagrees with a person or group that claims to be the religious authority.

For instance in one of the churches I attended (non-denominational in name but Baptist in background) took me to account for believing something different about the Trinity. I was allowed to continue as a communicant even though some may have felt I should have been told to leave.

In another church (charismatic) I was told not to speak in church about religious subjects because I differed in my understanding of the Trinity and other things. When I wish ed to explore what the Bible says I was told that the Church determines doctrine and it was the authority (by extension not the Bible).

In the church I am in now (SBC) the Pastor considers himself and the denomination as the authorities and I definitely differ in my understanding with the Pastor and probably with the denomination as well although I don't remember anything specific. I am getting to stay but will probably never be asked to preach in this church because of my differing opinions.

So what is your story? Do you completely adhere to an authority and believe it is always right or do you think different opinions shouldn't divide people?

Adhere to authority? Me? Never.

GW Bush trusted his "authorities" that troops would
be greeted with flowers in Iraq. Platowas quite the authority, and he sure got a lot of things wrong, tho
his errors were repeated for centuries.

Mom raised me to think for myself, and not trust
"authority", this with the backdrop of the horrors
of Maoism still reverberating. Mao knew, he was
the one who wrote the Little Red Book.

It is hard to think for yourself. It has been shown
so many times that people will change their minds,
believe the unbelievable, do the unthinkable, so
as to conform to the group.

To me the whole Christian religion is just so unbelievable. The OT god, who is reported doing
all these things that so clearly did not happen.

And so on.

Yet, a person finds him / herself first brought up
by parents who you are biologically programmed to
believe without question. Then into the larger group-
think, all saying yeah, verily yeah,all is true, look
we all believe.

It is so normal to doubt yourself, when all say the
same thing, along with arguments polished by
centuries of use.

Plus wanting to believe-it is a nice story. Would not
the earthly paradise shown in JW art be nice?
Eternal life with a loving Father, and reunited with
loved ones?

Now, I was not raised with any of that. In the
days when heretics were tortured to death, I
guess they'd get rid of me. Lucky I am not
in some Islamic state.

You dont seem to trust the "Authorities" in any church.
Yet you cannot think yourself infallible, and steered
to the Truth by God. Not if you are still sane.

Nobody is an Authority on this! It is all made up.

I wonder how far you are willing to let your heresy go?
So far, but no further?

Last edited:

Jumi

Welcome to the heretic's club. I only care about real things, which makes just about everyone annoyed with me. :D

Muffled

Jesus in me
I don't think it makes sense to call myself a heretic, no. None of the religious movements I affiliate with have any sort of central authority to whom obedience is expected, so the concept is not applicable:
  • Unitarian Universalism is very much about seeking wisdom for yourself and finding your own path. Leaders can serve as guides in this process, but there is no authority one must bow to.
  • Contemporary Paganism has such a dysfunctional relationship with authority, often condemning it harshly and to its own detriment as a maturing religious movement. If anything, the heresy in contemporary Paganism would be accepting authority.
  • Druidry, at least the order I'm a member of, is basically a tree hugger's version of UU that lets you develop your personal tradition. Like UU, it has inspiring leaders, but none are authority figures.

I believe UU would consider me a heretic because I believe in Jesus as the final authority and would be likely to tell people they were mistaken in their beliefs. That would run contrary to UU doctrine that people should be free to believe what they want.

Audie

Veteran Member
I suppose there wouldn't be adherence to a religious authority. Does Darwin serve as an authority or anyone for you?

Darwin? A rich eccentric who liked to do gentleman-
science as it was practiced in the day?

He was the first to publish a synthesis of ideas that
were in the air as is so often how things work. If
not Darwin, it would soon have been Bill, or George,
or Sue who published the ideas.

He got the outline of t he theory, but made some
mistakes and it was grossly incomplete.

Nobody who was doing science that long ago
is now an authority on anyone but himself, at
best.

Also-at its core, as best practice-
Science recognizes no authorities at all.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Adhere to authority? Me? Never.

GW Bush trusted his "authorities" that troops would
be greeted with flowers in Iraq. Plate was quite the authority, and he sure got a lot of things wrong, tho
his errors were repeated for centuries.

Mom raised me to think for myself, and not trust
"authority", this with the backdrop of the horrors
of Maoism still reverberating. Mao knew, he was
the one who wrote the Little Red Book.

It is hard to think for yourself. It has been shown
so many times that people will change their minds,
believe the unbelievable, do the unthinkable, so
as to conform to the group.

To me the whole Christian religion is just so unbelievable. The OT god, who is reported doing
all these things that so clearly did not happen.

And so on.

Yet, a person finds him / herself first brought up
by parents who you are biologically programmed to
believe without question. Then into the larger group-
think, all saying yeah, verily yeah,all is true, look
we all believe.

It is so normal to doubt yourself, when all say the
same thing, along with arguments polished by
centuries of use.

Plus wanting to believe-it is a nice story. Would not
the earthly paradise shown in JW art be nice?
Eternal life with a loving Father, and reunited with
loved ones?

Now, I was not raised with any of that. In the
days when heretics were tortured to death, I
guess they'd get rid of me. Lucky I am not
in some Islamic state.

You dont seem to trust the "Authorities" in any church.
Yet you cannot think yourself infallible, and steered
to the Truth by God. Not if you are still sane.

Nobody is an Authority on this! It is all made up.

I wonder how far you are willing to let your heresy go?
So far, but no further?

I believe the Jw's get a lot of things wrong but a world of eternal life without evil is a sure thing.

PureX

Veteran Member
Everyone is a "heretic" according to someone, I suppose. It's not something I worry about unless they're coming toward me with pitchforks and torches.

pearl

Would the Catholic Church recognize you as Catholic?

One does not have to be in full communion with the Church to remain a 'practicing' Catholic which requires one to receive Eucharist at least once a year, Easter. Confession prior to receiving is only necessary if in mortal sin.

Audie

Veteran Member
Everyone is a "heretic" according to someone, I suppose. It's not something I worry about unless they're coming toward me with pitchforks and torches.

Not torches and pitchforks! I will (pretend to)
believe!! :D

What you said of course suggests to me that nobody
is right or very interested in noticing the Emperor's
clothes thing.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
I believe the Jw's get a lot of things wrong but a world of eternal life without evil is a sure thing.

Sure, on whose authority?

I did kind of wonder how far you are willing to go, in the questioning of authority.

Not very, i guess.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think it's a good thing to always question authority. There are too many real world examples where complete adherence to authority oftentimes leads to disasterous results.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Sure, on whose authority?

I did kind of wonder how far you are willing to go, in the questioning of authority.

Not very, i guess.
I wouldn't go so far, I am a guest in a foreign land. I would prefer to stay in the free and not deported side of the fence.

David T

Premium Member

I thought the culture was Catholic.... Especially atheists catholics without jesus! What are southern baptists? clueless catholics. Quakers? Wierd but I like catholics. Mormons? wierdier catholics. Scientologists? the weirdest catholics. Most debates here are which Catholic is right.