• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are crystals magic?

nnmartin

I re ask you

they seem to act as a connector to the Earth Force (if you believe in such a thing).

as crystals take many years to form they appear to have a stored energy of natural forces connected to the spiritual power of the Earth. In holding the crystal some of this power can be felt.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
they seem to act as a connector to the Earth Force (if you believe in such a thing).

as crystals take many years to form they appear to have a stored energy of natural forces connected to the spiritual power of the Earth. In holding the crystal some of this power can be felt.

This is my biggest problem with New Age mysticism and pseudoscience: can you clearly define any of these terms that you just used?

Can you give a clear, unequivocal, exhaustive definition for any of the following terms such that someone who is unfamiliar with them can thoroughly understand what they mean:

1) "Earth force"
2) "Stored energy" (specifically, what kind of energy?)
3) "Natural forces"
4) "Spiritual power"

What, specifically (no beating around the bush, using vague/nebulous terms, or using the same term or synonym in its own definition) are these things?

nnmartin

You are asking for scientific definitions of religious/spiritual terms.

This is not possible to give.

But the same could be said of any religion.

Is it possible to give an exact definition of God, The Holy Spirit, Atman, Shiva, The Law of Threefold Return?

It may be possible to branch into a more philosophical answer perhaps but that would no doubt have to use synonyms and vagueness.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Is it possible to give an exact definition of God, The Holy Spirit, Atman, Shiva, The Law of Threefold Return?

It may be possible to branch into a more philosophical answer perhaps but that would no doubt have to use synonyms and vagueness.

Perhaps you've just stumbled on to why religions tend to be filled with irrationality without realizing it ;)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Also, I wasn't asking for "scientific" definitions. I was only asking for sensible, cognitive definitions. I can sensibly and cognitively define nonscientific things.

If you can't sensibly and cognitively define the terms that you're using, then how is anyone even supposed to know what you're talking about?

If you don't have a sensible and cognitive definition in your own mind when you utter a word, then how do YOU even know what you're talking about?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member

sound slike symbolism to me.... symbolism is a most powerful form of magic.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I dont think anything is "magic" outside of whatever features the mind applies to an object. I do, however, think that everything has vibration, and certain vibrations work well with other vibrations.

Maybe you just have a connection to crystals? I have always loved rocks of all types, with no explanation, it just brings me some contentedness. I get excited anytime I see big rocks (especially ones I could climb on), I am attracted to mountains and that sort of thing. No need for it to be a magical thing, I just think I vibe with rocks.

Being that I am an animist, I do believe that there is some sort of consciousness in rocks, just like plants (it has been observed that plants react to things around them, including other plants being broken or mutilated). You can call them "spirits" but I think that is a term from another time, and less compatible with modern thought (though I still like to use it).

So, are the magical? Not any more "magical" than a sunset from a mountain top or the colors of coral reefs. Magic is just used to explain things we dont have other explanations for.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I'm quite into crystals and I'm interested to know why people who say they are tools of Satan etc.. think such things - is there any biblical reference that supports this idea?

How about other religions - Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, mainstream Christianity etc.. is there any place for crystals with you or in your religion?

I am quite happy to have a crystal in one hand and a religious text in the other - there seems to be some kind of force coming out of the crystal - could be Jesus, Pagan Force or other - any views on this?

Are they magic?

They are magick if you want them to be, as is everything else including your religious texts. Magick is internal, not external. It comes from the mind, not from the universe. So, if you think crystals have magick power, they do. If not, they are pretty rocks.

Tiberius

I'm quite into crystals and I'm interested to know why people who say they are tools of Satan etc.. think such things - is there any biblical reference that supports this idea?

How about other religions - Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, mainstream Christianity etc.. is there any place for crystals with you or in your religion?

I am quite happy to have a crystal in one hand and a religious text in the other - there seems to be some kind of force coming out of the crystal - could be Jesus, Pagan Force or other - any views on this?

Are they magic?

No.

Crystals are ordered arrangements of atoms and molecules. They come in many varieties, but none of them are magic.

However, many of them are quite pretty. Please remember that prettiness does not mean magical.

Hexavibrongal

Soulmaster
When everything is magic from a crystal to poop to a cup of Starbucks coffee, then does it reduce to a discussion of aesthetics? Is the use of crystals basically the same thing as performance art?

Last edited:

St Giordano Bruno

They are not magic but technology can make amazing breakthroughs with crystals such as liquid crystals. There is a good chance you are looking at some at work now on your liquid display screen (LCD screen) monitor.

blackout

Violet.
When everything is magic from a crystal to poop to a cup of Starbucks coffee, then does it reduce to a discussion of aesthetics? Is the use of crystals basically the same thing as performance art?

The aspects of any'thing can serve to make them as a (focal) pointer
(dowsing crystal/see'r or wand/source'er'er) in terms of symbolism/s.
Every'thing in existence has aspects, facets,
and can be viewed at differing angles,
from different sides,
and in a different light.
This, amongst other things, might be WHY the crystal
is often held on magical pedistal.
They point to 'magic', but in reality
are no more magical than any of the things they point to.
They speak, of things speaking.
They remind us to view life from differing facets and angles.

They remind us to think, see and cast with clarity of vision.

As well they are asthetically pleasing.
Smooth to the touch, and soothing to the eye.
A smooth and soothing atmosphere helps us to relax and meditate on Self and Life,
which in turn, helps us to heal emotionally,
which in turn, helps us to heal physically.

Crystals remind us to turn things around,
and over again in gently focused contemplation.

Crystals viewed through the facets of scientific and technology
(or science and technology viewed through the facets of crystals)
point to "spell and cast"
from my computer keyboard,
to your LCD monitor.

EDIT: The release of physical toxins also helps us to heal,
and can point to things-- though they may not be pretty.
And coffee... for many of us also helps bring us into a relaxed and focused state of being.
Now Starbucks is another story. Their coffee speaks the language of poop with a very classy accent
. :areyoucra:p

Our lives are largely a matter of performance art, or the art of performance.
Every'one takes on their own role/s, and chooses their own props in accordance.

Last edited:

Hexavibrongal

Soulmaster
This, amongst other things, might be WHY the crystal
is often held on magical pedistal.

Aside from its aesthetics, I suspect they're considered special because it's a rock that grows. Before science understood why it grows, it would have been easy to attribute its growth to magical powers.

shawn001

Some grey rock out in the driveway we ignore and call it just a rock, but a pretty crystal is "magical."

Wannabe Yogi

Are they magic?

Yes they are, just the other day I was talking to Shirley MacLaine on this very subject. I just hold the crystal to my fore head and say,"calling Shirley MacLaine" and low and behold we talk. It works great as long as I don't take my selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. If I do for some reason the crystals seem to malfunction.;)

Please it was just a joke. I have no opinion about crystals

shawn001

Yes they are, just the other day I was talking to Shirley MacLaine on this very subject. I just hold the crystal to my fore head and say,"calling Shirley MacLaine" and low and behold we talk. It works great as long as I don't take my selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. If I do for some reason the crystals seem to malfunction.;)

Please it was just a joke. I have no opinion about crystals

Pretty funny including the " It works great as long as I don't take my selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. If I do for some reason the crystals seem to malfunction"

LOL