• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are crystals magic?

nnmartin

I'm quite into crystals and I'm interested to know why people who say they are tools of Satan etc.. think such things - is there any biblical reference that supports this idea?

How about other religions - Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, mainstream Christianity etc.. is there any place for crystals with you or in your religion?

I am quite happy to have a crystal in one hand and a religious text in the other - there seems to be some kind of force coming out of the crystal - could be Jesus, Pagan Force or other - any views on this?

Are they magic?

Bob Dixon

>implying
I think, "no". Seems like superstition to me but, to be fair, I've never actually "used" them myself.
The Bible warns against things that are perceived to be superstitious... I guess a lot of religious rituals could fall under this category, too, though, so...

If they really help you, go for it. But if you ask me... they're not magic.

4consideration

Premium Member
I'm quite into crystals and I'm interested to know why people who say they are tools of Satan etc.. think such things - is there any biblical reference that supports this idea?

How about other religions - Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, mainstream Christianity etc.. is there any place for crystals with you or in your religion?

I am quite happy to have a crystal in one hand and a religious text in the other - there seems to be some kind of force coming out of the crystal - could be Jesus, Pagan Force or other - any views on this?

Are they magic?

I am not an expert on crystals, but my understanding of crystals is that crystals have a way of storing energy imprints, or memory. I have been told that it is due to that quality that crystals have been used in making computer memory.

As I see it, it is that quality of crystals that lend itself to be used as a tool and is often used for healing purposes. I think that is a valid purpose. I do not think of it as magic. I think there is a scientific basis for its use.

As with any other tool, it can be valuable if used properly and harmful if used in a harmful way -- for wrong purposes. From my perspective, there is nothing wrong with the use of crystals unless you choose to use them to assert your own will in violation of another person's fee will.

nnmartin

they certainly seem to have some sort of power - when I get back home in the evening it is quite soothing just to hold the crystal whilst watching TV.

I've always had a fascination with them , even as a boy before I read any religious or New Age books.

To some people they are just pieces of rock , to others - the work of the Devil and to some - magical items

strange really :shrug:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Crystals are materials which have a long range atomic structure.
Is this more magical than amorphous arrangement, such as glass or bacon?
I think not.

An example of glass from The Corning Museum Of Glass (worth a visit)......
toots3.jpg

Last edited:

Erebus

Crystals are sparkly and pretty which serves to hold our magpie fascination. Because of this we are more inclined to place value in them and thus make them tools for magic. Humans are fantastic at associating different objects with different properties, which in my opinion is why we might be more inclined to consider a stone knife inlaid with crystals as being more magical than a kitchen knife.
So yes, crystals can be magical but in my opinion it's only because we make them so.

outhouse

Atheistically
they certainly seem to have some sort of power - when I get back home in the evening it is quite soothing just to hold the crystal whilst watching TV.

I've always had a fascination with them , even as a boy before I read any religious or New Age books.

To some people they are just pieces of rock , to others - the work of the Devil and to some - magical items

strange really :shrug:

Its not crystal power, the rock has none.

BUT they do have reflective capabilities and certain cuts of crystal are used in many electronic applications.

Now on to what you feel. Its the same energy that dowsing has and you will open up a can of worms because there is no definate answer on this. [despite what some say I know its not the ideomotor effect] you may want to google "ideomotor" because those against the energy will claim this when in fact they dont have a clue.

Hexavibrongal

Soulmaster
LOL they are in fact used in science all the time and mainstream electronics.

I meant that there is no evidence that they have any mysterious healing properties. I am a computer-engineer so I'm well aware of their applications in electronics and physics. A piezoelectric effect doesn't mean that they heal -- a double-blind clinical trial does, and there are none that have shown any effect. Again, if there were any significant effect, it would not be difficult to prove.

http://www.skepdic.com/crystals.html

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
I meant that there is no evidence that they have any mysterious healing properties. I am a computer-engineer so I'm well aware of their applications in electronics and physics.

crystal power - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

Im with ya bud

I dont buy into that aspect at all either.

Ive only used them like a divining rod or map dowsing and seen what OP is talking about.

Its hard to describe but I used to show people how a vial of gold would push away a crystal hanging on a gold chain exactly like a magnet in reverse polarity