• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are all atheists facing Hell?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Of course I did not. It makes no sense in and of itself.

I can rephrase it for you. I spent a few days reading a good book recently, and received the immediate benefit. I find it odd you won't spend five minutes in prayer to God, with the intent to receive a benefit lasting ten million years and more.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I can rephrase it for you. I spent a few days reading a good book recently, and received the immediate benefit. I find it odd you won't spend five minutes in prayer to God, with the intent to receive a benefit lasting ten million years and more.
You do? Why?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You do? Why?

Because if there is a one in one million chance that Heaven and/or Hell exist, considering the time that you and I will spend there . . .

From Romans 1:

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Because if there is a one in one million chance that Heaven and/or Hell exist, considering the time that you and I will spend there . . .

From Romans 1:

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
That... is not a very respectful attitude to consider, IMO.

There is no point in even considering it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
We don't know these answers. The Bible says a lot of things, I think that we can't presume to understand a god of mercy, should he decide to welcome everyone into heaven. You never know. Many atheists I know are far kinder than many Christians I know, so...I don't think your label will earn you a spot in heaven, rather the condition of our hearts will.

I believe kindness is a good thing but it will not keep an atheist out of hell.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I can't picture one pointing to hell or heaven,
what direction would that be ?
~
Maybe into the earth, into the bright blazing center of it,
or to the skies above, into the bright blazing center of it,
~
where would that direction be, how many could fit ?
or how bright the center in the reality of light beyond light ?
~
more and more silliness....

idav

Being
Premium Member

From Romans 1:

Pascal's wager isn't much of an argument.
Pascal's wager - RationalWiki

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Pascal's wager isn't much of an argument.
Pascal's wager - RationalWiki

1. I didn't share Pascal's wager, which is a 50/50 proposition. I shared that if it's a 1:1,000,000 proposition, you are foolish for not considering the outcomes.

2. Pascal's wager does not include the facts of Bible prophecy, Christians witnessing to you on this forum and etc. It is a blind wager made without the presentation of evidence for Jesus Christ.

3. Pascal's wager does not mention the incredible love of Jesus Christ, who was tortured to death and resurrected to set you free from sin.

idav

Being
Premium Member
1. I didn't share Pascal's wager, which is a 50/50 proposition. I shared that if it's a 1:1,000,000 proposition, you are foolish for not considering the outcomes.

2. Pascal's wager does not include the facts of Bible prophecy, Christians witnessing to you on this forum and etc. It is a blind wager made without the presentation of evidence for Jesus Christ.

3. Pascal's wager does not mention the incredible love of Jesus Christ, who was tortured to death and resurrected to set you free from sin.
Pascal's wager is using a 1 in a million analogy.
Pascals gets into threats of punishment like the Romans verses you cited.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That is one of the problems with Pascal's wager. It is attempts to reduce to two mutually exclusive categories a situation that is neither serious enough nor simple enough to warrant such treatment.

On the other hand, your model is not really better, nor more realistic. And it shares one of the main dealbreakers of Pascal's wager: it relies on the assumption that God, if real, is both unworthy and easily fooled or bribeable. If and when we go there, there is no longer any morality to speak of.

Indeed. It also fails to consider the diversity of god-beliefs, as well as the absurdity of a God that would value belief over morality.

I guess that is true. Not sure why that would make a difference except for believers, though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some churches have inferred otherwise, however, the Bible does not mince it's words,

John 3:36
& other verses,
All atheists might be facing Hell.
Xians face Hell too.
After all, no one really knows if there's an afterlife, & what the entry standards would be.
It could be that Hell is reserved for gingers, tall people, mean people, harlots, prudes, or telephone sanitizers.
So I've no worries.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Hell isn't a threat, it's a belief. A actual atheist isn't going to believe in hell.

I find if a clergy person uses hell fire as a scare tactic to control the flock that seems that could be threatening.
They are teaching a non-biblical religious-myth hell of burning forever as if that is the Bible's hell.
A actual atheist should believe in the ' Bible's hell ' because biblically speaking 'biblical hell' is just the grave.
Both Jesus and the old Hebrew Scriptures teach 'unconscious sleep in death' as recorded at John 11:11-14; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4 and Ecclesiastes 9:5
If going to the Bible's hell was a permanent place then Jesus would still be in hell today, because the very day Jesus died dead Jesus went to hell according to Acts of the Apostles 2:27 until his God resurrected Jesus out of hell.
So, an actual atheist would believe he is going to biblical hell which is the stone-cold grave for the unconscious dead.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Xians face Hell too.
After all, no one really knows if there's an afterlife, & what the entry standards would be.
It could be that Hell is reserved for gingers, tall people, mean people, harlots, prudes, or telephone sanitizers.
So I've no worries.

I find there are people who believe in an afterlife, and there are Christians who believe in a resurrection.
People who believe in an afterlife believe they are more alive after death then before death.
People who believe in the Bible's resurrection hope believe what Jesus taught at John 11:11-14 that the dead are in a sleep-like state. Just as when we are asleep and Not aware of the passing of time while asleep.
So, according to Jesus' recorded words Jesus knows that future life depends on resurrection and Not afterlife.
The Bible's hell is for everyone except for those committing the unforgivable sin of Matthew 12:32; Hebrews 6:4-6.
They are classed as being part of the wicked who will be 'destroyed forever' as per Psalms 92:7.
Everyone in biblical hell is there on a temporary sleep until resurrected to either heaven, or resurrected back to healthy physical life on Earth to be part of the humble meek who will inherit the Earth as Jesus promised at Matthew 5:5.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
That is one of the problems with Pascal's wager. It is attempts to reduce to two mutually exclusive categories a situation that is neither serious enough nor simple enough to warrant such treatment.

On the other hand, your model is not really better, nor more realistic. And it shares one of the main dealbreakers of Pascal's wager: it relies on the assumption that God, if real, is both unworthy and easily fooled or bribeable. If and when we go there, there is no longer any morality to speak of.

Indeed. It also fails to consider the diversity of god-beliefs, as well as the absurdity of a God that would value belief over morality.

I guess that is true. Not sure why that would make a difference except for believers, though.

What are you talking about? "God is easily fooled or bribeable."

The wager has to do with the humans facing existential questions. If there is a 1:1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance that you can improve an eternal position by effort, do so. As the Bible says, people have no excuse for not detailing these matters!